HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 1:31 AM

my source shows san berdoo/riverside at 4.4 million ok will drop then within 60 miles of la/orange

sacramento at 2.1 million within 90 miles of sf/oak/san jose far enough cuz we have different tv

vegas at 1.91 million they are getting close
megaplex in virginia hampton/newport news
austin texas
providence ri
louisville kentucky
birmingham ala

Last edited by Web; Mar 8, 2011 at 1:52 AM. Reason: update

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web View Post
my source shows san berdoo/riverside at 4.4 million ok will drop then within 60 miles of la/orange
I'm sure SB/Riverside is within the LA media market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web View Post
vegas at 1.91 million they are getting close
Vegas isn't a city it's a disney land.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
We did build a new arena for the Kings 20 years ago. It was called "Arco Arena."
"We" didn't build anything. Arco was privately financed.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 6:33 AM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeFutbolero View Post
"We" didn't build anything. Arco was privately financed.
"We" meaning Sacramento as a whole--people spend a lot of time talking about what "we" should build here, referring to projects that are primarily private in nature. And if Arco was privately financed, it might be worthwhile to determine how the developer managed to make money off the deal--it might provide some useful insight as to how it could be privately financed again. I would imagine that the team studying the issue right now is pretty aware that city government isn't going to be able to write big checks anytime soon, and that the local electorate isn't too friendly to such schemes--I would not be surprised if they were looking for other models to follow than public financing, at least to test them for feasibility.

Sacramento isn't "behind" other California cities--we developed at the same time, just along a different pattern based on what we had to offer and the connections we had made. We have had several industries of our own: railroads, for starters, including the first railroad in California, the first transcontinental railroad, the only place west of the Mississippi River where full-sized railroad locomotives were built, and the main servicing shops for two transcontinental lines. We also had agricultural processing, like canning, brewing and winemaking: in the 1920s, Sacramento had two of the biggest canneries in the country. And being the seat of California government certainly counts as an industry, and one we fought hard to keep more than once: while the "industry" isn't as glamorous as it was when California was booming like wild, and is definitely in a slump, it is unlikely that California is going to stop needing a government anytime soon, nor is California likely to become radically easier to govern in the foreseeable future.

So, how do we take advantage of our historic industries? For railroads, we're still a transportation hub. Potential opportunities include expanded locomotive construction (our Siemens plant is building full-sized electric locomotives for Amtrak), expanding our passenger depot into a full-sized intermodal depot of a similar scale to Los Angeles Union Station (the only passenger depot in California busier than ours), expanding commuter trains to Reno and north to the northern Sacramento Valley, and, ideally, a full HSR connection to southern California.

For agriculture, thinking small may be more valuable than trying to chase back the canning industry. We already have a cluster of recent "urban winery" operations and several urban breweries (celebrated this week in our 2nd annual "Beer Week.") Farmer's markets do bumper-crop businesses, often patronized by high-end chefs from new restaurants whose premiere attraction is the produce of the nearby agricultural regions. Changes in city codes have permitted front-yard crop gardening, community gardens and urban farming of all sorts is rising in popularity (as it is in big cities all over the country), along with an interest in urban chicken-keeping that threatens to soon overturn the city's urban chicken ban. The "industry" here is a panoply of small business: while big Fortune 500 companies make the headlines, the foundation of our economy, and the biggest job-creating engine in the country, is small business. By promoting small businesses that take advantage of local agricultural resources, we create and reinforce our regional identity while producing useful (edible and drinkable) products that can be exported elsewhere or consumed by visitors who come to taste the best of the region.

As to government: We don't have much direct control over who most of the state elects to call the shots in state government, but at least the current Governor actually lives in downtown Sacramento, rather than flying home to southern California every night. Brown's presence as a central city resident is the ideal "glamour tenant" for central city living, which may not be the perfect argument for central-city living, but it certainly can't hurt. And the renewed focus on northern California issues may give us a little more attention at the state level. Obviously, we'll have to see what the next few years brings for our state government, but assuming we don't devolve into total "Road Warrior" style chaos, we're probably going to have a state government that is more efficient and cost-effective, that will probably be in the process of handling big things like HSR and massive renewable energy projects. And if we can get the attention of state government, we might ask them what they have done lately for the city that has played host to state government for over a century and a half.

There are other things we don't have, which might catalyze all of the above: a full-size university in the central city to supplement or consolidate all the little satellite campuses, a much larger residential base downtown, a streetcar network to connect us to the rising star of West Sac and take some pressure off downtown streets and highways, and better promotion (through less suppression) of local musical culture, mostly by simply abandoning the illusion that we're a quaint little valley town where nothing interesting happens. Trying to make ourselves "competitive" through smokestack-chasing, in an effort to go head-to-head with other California cities, is unlikely to succeed--we'd be leading with our weaknesses, not our strengths.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
I will say this, in a few weeks Sacramento will have a huge black eye of being by far the largest city/media market (by almost half a million people) without a major sports team.

Current title holder: Hampton Roads, VA (1,671,683)
New title holder: Sacramento CA (2,127,355)

Grats Sacramento
Actually, Las Vegas holds that title.
"There is no end of opinions ready to be expressed. Studying them can go on forever and become very exhausting!" Ecc. 12:12 (NLT)

Last edited by spark317; Mar 8, 2011 at 6:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark317 View Post
actually, las vegas holds that title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by majin View Post
vegas isn't a city it's a disney land.

^
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 7:42 PM

That was awesome, wburg. All except for HSR, of course.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 8:56 AM
BUFF$LUT

So I'm guessing Downtown Plaza is finally getting that food court above the old Hard Rock Cafe?
Perhaps it will make that joke of a "mall" slighty more inviting.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 3:47 PM
Hindrance to Development

No, 24 Hour Fitness is expanding into the space where Hard Rock was. I think they are counting on having a larger potential customer base in the next couple of years as the residential projects on the 700 and 800 block are built (and, with some luck, that will catalyze more residential downtown.)

I'm pretty sure that Westfield is putting all of their energy into rebuilding the Roseville Galleria, and cosmetic upgrades to Downtown Plaza are probably on hold until they get done with that project. DTP is in rough shape, but at least it didn't catch fire.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 6:33 PM
Closed account

Quote:
DTP is in rough shape, but at least it didn't catch fire.
It needs to be...

And then be replaced with real development.

Sure glad we spent money on the DTP, Mermaid Bar, and other crap and not a new Arena for the Kings...

Go Royals! oops... I mean GO MERMAIDS!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 3:13 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Econgrad View Post
Sure glad we spent money on the DTP, Mermaid Bar, and other crap and not a new Arena for the Kings...

Go Royals! oops... I mean GO MERMAIDS!
Yesterday I realized that I have been to the mermaid bar complex (at least to Pizza Rock) as many times as I have been to Arco Arena in the past 23 years--twice.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 2:46 AM

Trendy

and the fact that I need 10 characters to post my snarkyness is stupid

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 9:39 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Yesterday I realized that I have been to the mermaid bar complex (at least to Pizza Rock) as many times as I have been to Arco Arena in the past 23 years--twice.
That's right! Dude! Why didn't I just think so logically like you do!
You know what? I have been shopping at Raleys more than Kings Games at Arco! I have also been to Macy's more! Oh My God I just realized I have been to the shoe store and the movies more than King's games at Arco!!

What the Hell were we thinking spending money on Major Sports Teams when we rarely go to any games!?!?!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 3:35 AM
Hindrance to Development

On Friday, another restaurant/bar opens up on K Street, at 12th and K (kitty-corner from Ella): Tequila Museo Mayahuel.

http://www.sacramentopress.com/headl...Museo_Mayahuel

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 3:07 PM

Quote:
On Friday, another restaurant/bar opens up on K Street, at 12th and K (kitty-corner from Ella): Tequila Museo Mayahuel.

http://www.sacramentopress.com/headl...Museo_Mayahuel
I wish they would have actually showed pictures of what the place looked like or the food it serves.. I hate when photographers go somewhere to "report" on it but come back with nothing but pictures of people.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 5:08 AM
Hindrance to Development

I'm sure Majin will be doing the happy dance now:
http://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/26/357...-plaza-up.html

Quote:
Bob Shallit: Downtown Plaza up for sale; many dream of a turnaround
By Bob Shallit
bshallit@sacbee.com
Published: Tuesday, Apr. 26, 2011 - 12:00 am | Page 1B
Last Modified: Tuesday, Apr. 26, 2011 - 7:50 am

Sacramento's long-struggling Downtown Plaza shopping center is on the sales block.

That's according to the Wall Street Journal, which reports that Westfield Group of Australia has begun seeking buyers for the Sacramento mall and 16 other underperforming centers in seven states.

Westfield's goal: Take advantage of an uptick in the economy to sell the properties, then use the proceeds to reinvest in more successful centers, such as its Galleria mall in Roseville.

Westfield officials had no comment. Neither did Evercore Partners, a New York-based advisory firm that's been hired to market the mall portfolio.

The news comes almost two years after city officials asked Westfield to find a buyer if it wasn't going to make long-discussed improvements. Westfield officials said then they'd sell "under certain circumstances."

They may be more motivated now.

Assistant City Manager John Dangberg said Monday that the city "clearly is interested in seeing reinvestment in the center and if through a purchase that could happen we'd be very supportive."

Michael Ault, executive director of the Downtown Sacramento Partnership, said he was hopeful a sale could lead to new investment in the center.

That's all the more important now, he said, when signs of life are emerging elsewhere in the downtown core. The mall "can't (be allowed to) deteriorate to the point where it becomes a distraction to the opportunities around it," he said.

He cited in particular efforts to bring retail and residential development to the 700 and 800 blocks of K Street, just east of the mall.

A final development agreement for those blocks is set to go to the City Council in June following productive talks with two development teams, said Maurice Chaney, a spokesman with the city's Economic Development Department.

Garrick Brown, regional research director for real estate brokerage Cassidy Turley BT Commercial, said numerous private investors would be interested in the mall if Westfield is a motivated seller.

"If they can get it for dimes on the dollar," he said of prospective buyers, they might have the capital needed to make the renovations Westfield has long considered but been unable to complete.

Any turnaround strategy, he added, would include making "some incredible deals" to lure top retailers back to the mall.

Brown said he sees potential in the 39-year-old mall.

"If (an owner) can hold on for three or four years, I think we'll see a big spike in downtown housing and a lot of other development," he said. Under those circumstances, "the fortunes of the center could change very quickly."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/26/357...#ixzz1KhH8NIMF
And I noticed this a little while back too, from another Shallit column:
Quote:
Risky business

Here's news of another bank-owned sale of a prominent Sacramento property: The historic Kress Building at 818 K St. has been acquired by investors hopeful of cashing in on a long-awaited K Street revival.

The buyers paid $1.78 million for the six-story, art deco-style building, and intend to lure a retailer or restaurant to the ground floor and office tenants for the remaining space.

"It's a tough street, a little risky," says Arsen Petrosyan, a local real estate agent who worked with the buyers. "But they're hopeful that something will happen there … when K Street is opened" to car traffic.

The buyers include Petrosyan's brother Kevin and an investor from Russia.

The building – a one-time department store site – previously had been owned by Napa investment firm Trancas Ventures of Napa, which planned to convert it into office condo space.

Trancas ran into problems, and the 1930s-era building was taken over by lender Borel Private Bank & Trust of San Mateo, which was represented in the sale by the aforementioned Herrera.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/14/355...#ixzz1KhHMAlSe
Emphasis mine...I have been more leery than most about returning cars to K Street--but apparently at least one investor is willing to dive in just on the rumor that it will happen.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 8:40 AM
BUFF$LUT

Took a walk down K Street Mall sunday night for the first time in a while and I stumbled upon the future K st Mall renderings in that abandoned mural building.
I really like how the block is lined with outdoor patio tables, and even some rooftop dining.

Now are these renderings there simply to make people invision what potential the area has, or will this actually become a reality in the near future?

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 4:04 AM
Hindrance to Development

Yes, that is the plan. Work on that block is supposed to start later this year with fixing up the building fronts, demo of the parts nearest the alley, and construction of the apartment units on the alley. When completed there will be several restaurants, live music venues, retail, and about 150 apartments. By that time the 800 block shouild also be underway. And the old Tower Records mural will be restored!

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 3:03 PM

K Street won't get better until there are people living there. If there were hundreds or thousands of people living in residential buildings along K and nearby, K St would be a much different place.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 7:30 PM
Hindrance to Development

CAGeoNerd: Between the 700 and 800 blocks, K Street will get an extra 337 residential units (the 700 block will have 137 total, not 150) to join existing housing like 800 J, the Cathedral building at 12th and K, the El Cortez Apartments, the apartments above Temple Coffee, and the 300 or so SRO units within a block of K Street (some of which are being rehabbed right now) and a few other assorted existing bits of housing nearby. It's a start. Personally I'm hoping that some of the underutilized office/commercial space in that neighborhood gets converted to residential lofts (some of it was residential originally!)

Just got back from a trip to Santa Monica--noted that the 3rd Street Promenade stays lively at night. Stores are mandated to stay open late (even retail stores), there are nightlife and dining attractions, and there is also a lot of housing nearby. Now, Santa Monica is in a very different situation than downtown Sacramento (they're a wealthy suburb rather than the region's urban core, they have a lot of draw due to the proximity of the ocean, Hollywood, and a lot of local wealth) but there are a lot of lessons we can learn from their example.

Here's a story from SacPress on the 700 and 800 block, apparently the next stop is City Council:

http://www.sacramentopress.com/headl..._Mall_projects

Quote:
K Street Mall projects closer to groundbreaking
by Suzanne Hurt, published on May 19, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Redevelopment projects for the 700 and 800 blocks of K Street cleared a final hurdle on their way to the Sacramento City Council when the city's Preservation Commission approved both Thursday night.

The commission called a special meeting to consider the final major design components after both projects were approved by the Planning Commission last week. A City Council vote of approval, which will be set for sometime in June, would mean groundbreaking could finally begin on two key blocks of K Street Mall that have long been eyesores.

The projects will add 337 mixed-income apartments in the downtown core, rehab the landmark Bel-Vue Apartments and restore all but one of the building façades on the south side of the 700 block of K Street. The projects were both approved unanimously by the five commissioners present.

Activists in the city's preservation and housing communities have worked long and hard for housing and historic preservation there. The community raised an outcry over a previous project that proposed tearing down the Bel-Vue, recalled Preservation Commission Chair Karen Jacques.

"Finally, we are going to see some really nice development on both the 700 and the 800 blocks of K Street. That's a huge boost for this city," she said. "Those two blocks have been a disaster for so long. With these projects, the historic buildings are getting saved."

The special meeting was held Thursday, rather than waiting for the commission's next scheduled meeting in June, to get the projects to the council as soon as possible. The projects may qualify for redevelopment funding that is at risk of being lost if Gov. Jerry Brown abolishes redevelopment agencies to help solve the state's budget woes.

No one is certain when that might happen. Some officials and developers fear it could be as soon as June 30.

In addition, developers want to get the projects under way to get lower bids during an economic downturn when little construction is taking place, said YHLA Architects principal Bob Lindley, who represented developers of the 800 block before the commission.

Commissioners also approved establishing a Preservation Commission subcommittee to meet with the developers of the 800 block: David Taylor Interests, Domus Development and the city's Redevelopment Agency, which is the property owner. The subcommittee will work with the developers on minor changes and was set up Thursday night to help expedite the project.

Plans for the 800 block are to rehab the landmark Bel-Vue Apartments at 1123 Eighth St. and integrate the historic property with a new addition and an adjacent new building at 800 K St., bringing 200 new or renovated apartments to the block. The entire project will contain 23,000 square feet of retail space.

The four-story 801 L St. building will be constructed as an addition to the three-story Bel-Vue. The combined structure will be nearly 82,000 square feet with 56 residential units and 11,000 square feet of retail and 10,000 square feet of ground-level parking.

The Bel-Vue building's ground-floor retail storefronts will be renovated and wrapped around the alley corner so that it faces the alley. The Bel-Vue's 26 apartments will be modernized, brought up to code and outfitted with bigger kitchens and bathrooms. Non-historic buildings will be demolished to make way for the new addition, which will feature a landscaped internal courtyard.

The corner of Eighth and K streets, which has long sat empty, will hold a nearly 193,000-square-foot, six-story building with 12,000 square feet of ground-floor retail, 144 apartments, a landscaped, internal courtyard and basement parking. The exterior of the 800 K St. building will be a modern interpretation of the Art Deco style.

For the 700 block, developers D & S Development, Inc., and CFY Development Inc. – led by David Miry, son Bay Miry and partner Steve Lebastchi, and Cyrus Youssefi and his son, Ali Youssefi – will build a six-story apartment building with 137 units and a parking garage that's nearly 28,000 square feet.

The backs of six buildings will be demolished to make way for construction of the apartment building. The number of apartments was decreased from 153 to incorporate the commission's earlier suggestions to make the rooftop and alley-facing exterior less flat, Ali Youssefi told the commission.

The project also would involve restoring all storefronts except one and turn 64,881 square feet of retail into a live music club, four restaurants with bars and shops. The block would feature sidewalk patio seating in front of nearly every ground-floor space, open-air mezzanines and rooftop decks for dining, bars or residential use.

Groundbreaking for work in the 700 block is expected to happen by the end of 2011 or early 2012. The project should be completed within two years, Youssefi said.

Groundbreaking for the 800 block project is expected to begin in early spring of 2012. The project should be completed by late 2013, said Ellen Warner, a partner at David S. Taylor Interests.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area