HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 6:37 PM

Pop Blocks (Pepsi Blocks) | 120' | xx floors | U/C

2505 NE PACIFIC ST - A Pre-Application Conference to discuss the redevelopment of the 5.16 acre Pepsi Bottling Plant site. This mixed use project includes housing,offices, retail uses and structured parking.

Pre-App scheduled for 3/28.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 7:30 PM

I've moved your comment to a new thread, pdxsg34. I've seen an image of what they're proposing, and it's substantial.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
I've moved your comment to a new thread, pdxsg34. I've seen an image of what they're proposing, and it's substantial.
Thx, no problem. Happen to know how many stories are being discussed?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
Thx, no problem. Happen to know how many stories are being discussed?
I don't, no. What I do know is that they're planning to use the Planned Development Bonus of the new zoning code, which allows buildings of up to 120' in height.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:40 AM

Finally! Sandy is going to blow up, in a good way.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 3:58 PM

Pre-Application Conference Notice

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/index....47126&a=676491

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Intriguing.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 6:37 PM

No doubt that Amanda and Chole will vote against this because it may block the view of 84 ;-)

But seriously, I've long thought this area was ripe for investment....Super excited to see the corridor densify.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 4:03 AM

Anyone hearing anything about plans to improve Sandy? Anyone want to hazard a guess how much more development on Sandy will be required to get the road improved?

Sandy is a very useful diagonal connection and thousands of apartments are in development on and near it, just from 12th to Hollywood. But the road itself is basically a car sewer. No bike lanes, few safe crossing points, few street trees.

I live near Sandy and ride my bike on the street. I am usually the only cyclist I see on the street.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
Anyone hearing anything about plans to improve Sandy? Anyone want to hazard a guess how much more development on Sandy will be required to get the road improved?

Sandy is a very useful diagonal connection and thousands of apartments are in development on and near it, just from 12th to Hollywood. But the road itself is basically a car sewer. No bike lanes, few safe crossing points, few street trees.

I live near Sandy and ride my bike on the street. I am usually the only cyclist I see on the street.
I hear you. There are few poorer street designs than 4 lanes with no median through an urban environment. In the doc below you'll see that 744 crashes on Sandy were rear-enders (40% of the total), which is a direct function of the design. Be thankful they're rare in Pland. DDOT (DC) loves them.

Sandy has been the object of MANY plans with little fruition. Here's one. It is, of course, a high crash network road, which includes most of the arterials in Portland. Here's the Sandy plan back in 2014.

To be as straightforward as possible, there is little to no hope that the current administration will decide on an evidenced-based, NACTO-informed reconstruction of Sandy. And keep in mind part of the reason historically Sandy has not been considered for a road diet could be its potential future as a streetcar route.

Perhaps in the future Sandy will get the same treatment as Foster's planned 4->3 conversion lane design, which is certainly an improvement but far from the gold standard based on research (ie PBLs and protected intersections with median crossings). As with any radical safety redesigns, the pattern that seems to occur (and happened very recently in BKlyn with a couple kids) is the following:
1. A person(s) is killed
2. A large enough group protests
3. A political figure decides to change the street

Last edited by hat; Mar 18, 2018 at 2:12 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 6:32 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I hear you. There are few poorer street designs than 4 lanes with no median through an urban environment. In the doc below you'll see that 744 crashes on Sandy were rear-enders (40% of the total), which is a direct function of the design. Be thankful they're rare in Pland. DDOT (DC) loves them.

Sandy has been the object of MANY plans with little fruition. Here's one. It is, of course, a high crash network road, which includes most of the arterials in Portland. Here's the Sandy plan back in 2014.

To be as straightforward as possible, there is little to no hope that the current administration will decide on an evidenced-based, NACTO-informed reconstruction of Sandy. And keep in mind part of the reason historically Sandy has not been considered for a road diet could be its potential future as a streetcar route.

Perhaps in the future Sandy will get the same treatment as Foster's planned 4->3 conversion lane design, which is certainly an improvement but far from the gold standard based on research (ie PBLs and protected intersections with median crossings). As with any radical safety redesigns, the pattern that seems to occur (and happened very recently in BKlyn with a couple kids) is the following:
1. A person(s) is killed
2. A large enough group protests
3. A political figure decides to change the street
I am rooting for the city to do a Foster like design with a streetcar line running along that street.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 4:45 PM

6-1-18 - Early Assistance - Pre-Application Conference
Quote:
Phase 1 of the Planned Development for redeveloping the existing Pepsi Bottling Plant on Sandy Blvd. Includes the renovation of the existing mid-century Pepsi warehouse, two new apartment buildings, below-grade parking and a new publicly-accessible Plaza.
6-1-18 - Design Advice Request
Quote:
Planned development for redeveloping the existing Pepsi Bottling Plant on Sandy Boulevard into market-rate and affordable housing, offices, retail/restaurant spaces, publicly-accessible open space, and associated underground parking.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 7:11 PM

I'm really glad that they're saving the modernist building fronting Sandy. I've always loved that building.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 9:44 PM

Is this going to be subject to IZ (IH)?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
Is this going to be subject to IZ (IH)?
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/626468

As far as I understand the IZ it applies to EVERY building over 20 units in the city that are new proposals. So yes, it would.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
https://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/626468

As far as I understand the IZ it applies to EVERY building over 20 units in the city that are new proposals. So yes, it would.
Good. Sandy has so much potential and that area in particular is already becoming a destination with the Zipper.

I agree, wonderful that the Pepsi building is being saved and re-purposed.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 6:16 AM
A before E

Quote:
I'm really glad that they're saving the modernist building fronting Sandy. I've always loved that building.
It would have been easy for them to give the excuse that the building needed to be torn down. I always appreciate when developers save old buildings and build their new developments around them.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2018, 12:59 AM

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference:

Quote:
A Pre-Application Conference to discuss Phase 1 redevelopment of the Pepsi Bottling Plant on NE Sandy Blvd. The proposal includes the renovation of the existing Pepsi warehouse and the construction of two new apartment buildings with below-grade parking and a new publicly accessible plaza. The parking access is proposed from NE 25th Avenue. There are a total of 335 units and 28,500 square feet for retail space between the two buildings. Three hundred fifty (350) below grade parking spaces are proposed.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 11:58 PM

Memo to the Design Commission

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 12:20 AM

DAR #1 Drawings [9 MB]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland