HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 16, 2017, 4:15 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
true. I'm sure urbanism isn't high on anyone's list in these types of towns.. otherwise they'd live in Win..kler?
The issues are just a bit different.

I lived in Mitchell, a couple miles west of Steinbach for a couple years. The town was growing rapidly, and still is.

The RM of Hanover was insisting on not allowing any new development between Steinbach and Mitchell. They feared that Mitchell would be lost to the RM, absorbed into Steinbach.

Judging by the new developments since then, they've given up.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 7:10 PM

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 4:21 AM

Several historic buildings in Virden burned down:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...447178803.html

As noted by the WFP, the building where the fire started had two fires in radically different areas at different times during the same day. Also, while I don't have a story to link to, the old Two Creeks School on Highway 83 a little northwest of Virden at the railway tracks burned as well within hours. There appears to be a firebug on the loose...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 3:29 AM

Eventually media picked up the part about the Two Creeks (Ross) school burning down within hours as well. Given the timing, I would be stunned if the fire was not set by the same person who set the one in Virden. For those that have access to the Free Press, you also have access to the Brandon Sun:

https://www.brandonsun.com/local/fir...447835573.html

Although the school had been abandoned for ages, it really stood out when you drove along Highway 83. While people from Virden would have little reason to drive up Highway 83, lots of people who live along 83 go to Virden. Perhaps it is just my junor detective skills kicking in, but if I was looking for the person responsible I would be looking somewhere along 83.

The circumstances of this case remind me of the guy who burned down several of the things that I liked in Winnipeg a number of years ago (a building that really stood out in Osborne Village, the water tower for the little train in Assiniboine Park, etc.). All the targets had some local significance or otherwise loomed large in the local imagination. In Virden, it was a big deal that the destroyed buildings appeared as period pieces in "A Dog's Purpose". The school was really the only significant thing to see between the Trans Canada and the Assiniboine Valley on 83. Hopefully they catch the guy before he picks a new target.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 5:11 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

World War III: Where Would You Go?

If N. Korea and US enter the planet into World War III and Winnipeg was some how affected, where do you think people would go?

If electricity, Internet, heating were to get conked out for years and most of the Canadian prairies for that matter would become uninhabitable...

Where would we go?

Minneapolis would be nice, but their Winters are just as brutal as ours.

Wouldn't want to go to "hurricane country" like TX, FL, Alab. because I don't want to live through that kind of weather.

Calif. and NY are out of the question.

St. Louis MO gets snow, Salt Lake City UT.

Arizona? New Mexico?

I don't know.

Estimates are that 90% of US pop. would die just from starvation and nuke radiation fallout.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
If N. Korea and US enter the planet into World War III and Winnipeg was some how affected, where do you think people would go?

If electricity, Internet, heating were to get conked out for years and most of the Canadian prairies for that matter would become uninhabitable...

Where would we go?

Wouldn't want to go to "hurricane country" like TX, FL, Alab. because I don't want to live through that kind of weather.

Arizona? New Mexico?

I don't know.

Estimates are that 90% of US pop. would die just from starvation and nuke radiation fallout.
Why would the prairies be uninhabitable? People lived here before there was internet LOL. Sure there would be suffering, but people would adapt until things got rolling again. It would not take years to at least get some electricity back. We have water, farmland, coal. natural gas and oil. People would figure out how to get that out of the ground and transported even if the refineries were nuked. In the mean time, there is plenty of wood around. It is pretty easy to build a heating stove out of an old oil drum, for example.

I think it is more likely people will be coming up from the States to get away from fallout and anarchy and to steal our stuff. I would not want to be in AZ with no A/C or water.

Winnipeg is unlikely to be targeted as there is little of strategic value there in a military sense. Regina on the other hand has a massive oil refinery, steel mill and is the crossroads of many oil pipelines.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:

Where would we go?

Arizona? New Mexico?

I don't know.

No need to worry, we'd all be dead. 99% of us lack the skills to live truly and completely off of any grid of any kind.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Not that this would happen.

- We generate our own electricity.

- Being connected, the US grid going down might take ours down - but only for a few hours at most.

- The Canadian grid is much better hardened against EM interference than the American one. (According to what I've read about hardening against solar flares. We've learned the hard way to do this.)

- North Korea has only a limited number of nukes. Manitoba infrastructure simply isn't a target.

- Nor is radiation a significant problem a few miles beyond the blast zones. A nuke-fest between the US and North Korea probably wouldn't raise our background radiation level anywhere near as high as the above-ground nuclear weapons testing of the 1950s.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 4:14 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Why would the prairies be uninhabitable? People lived here before there was internet LOL. Sure there would be suffering, but people would adapt until things got rolling again. It would not take years to at least get some electricity back. We have water, farmland, coal. natural gas and oil. People would figure out how to get that out of the ground and transported even if the refineries were nuked. In the mean time, there is plenty of wood around. It is pretty easy to build a heating stove out of an old oil drum, for example.

I think it is more likely people will be coming up from the States to get away from fallout and anarchy and to steal our stuff. I would not want to be in AZ with no A/C or water.

Winnipeg is unlikely to be targeted as there is little of strategic value there in a military sense. Regina on the other hand has a massive oil refinery, steel mill and is the crossroads of many oil pipelines.
We have a fairly major airforce base here, including the headquarters for the Canadian NORAD region.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
We have a fairly major airforce base here, including the headquarters for the Canadian NORAD region.
If there's a full scale nuclear exchange between Russian or China and the US, then Winnipeg is definitely on the list.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 4:35 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
If there's a full scale nuclear exchange between Russian or China and the US, then Winnipeg is definitely on the list.
yay..?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 5:11 PM

Winnipeg is within range of the current North Korean ICBM's. There was a map on the TV the other day (if you believe that stuff). Launch a missile over the north pole essentially. But Winnipeg was specifically shown, along with Alaska. Everything in Western Canada also in range. I think eastern Canada was even in range.

This is, of course, at their full capabilities with no issues and accurate guidance to the target. North Korea has not displayed anything to this extent, yet. There tests have been political shots across the bow (Japan).

Edit: Here's a similar map. It says missile in development. But they've already got that done.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Right, I forgot about CFB Winnipeg. It is just transport and rescue squadrons is it not? I do not believe there are operational fighters there?

Is there a nuke bunker for the Norad folks?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 5:58 PM

Mostly transport and rescue type stuff. Fighters come and go. But nothing based here to my knowledge.

Pretty sure there was something about the Winnipeg base being centre for operating drone flights overseas. Does Canada even have drones?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Mostly transport and rescue type stuff. Fighters come and go. But nothing based here to my knowledge.

Pretty sure there was something about the Winnipeg base being centre for operating drone flights overseas. Does Canada even have drones?
I think they just have some tiny, short range surveillance drones. They are looking to acquire the big, armed ones though.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 7:40 PM

This short article says CFB Winnipeg is not a target, although it also refers to North Bay bunker which I believe is no longer active.

https://www.quora.com/Will-the-NORAD...-US-and-Russia

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 7:54 PM

Might not be a target, but would be in range potentially was my point. If the North Koreans could actually get the expected range out of their missiles, I would think they have other higher priority targets than Winnipeg. Maybe Regina haha

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I would think they have other higher priority targets than Winnipeg.
We're safe as long as Mayor Bowman doesn't get into a childish Twitter slap-fight with Kim Jong-un.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 8:24 PM

Growing up in the 1980s, I recall the talk was that Winnipeg would be a target in a full scale nuclear conflict with the USSR largely because of its close proximity to the US and the major US airbase in Fargo.

This Globe and Mail article talks about DND documents from 1964-65 that ranked the probability of Canadian cities being targeted:

Quote:
The Cold War documents say it was virtually certain that in the event of a conflict, Soviets would attack 50 North American cities, probably as many as 100, possibly even 150.

The documents rank Hamilton No. 42 in terms of North American industrial importance and Vancouver No. 52. Winnipeg (No. 85) and Quebec City (No. 107) were not considered all that likely to be blown up. Edmonton and Calgary rank even lower at No. 105 and No. 123, respectively.
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/new...beandmail.com&

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 3:32 AM

Taking out two train bridges over the Red would halt all east-west rail traffic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan