HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 12:44 PM

The dude's been saying since October (possibly earlier) that he's ready to open any day now, but the city keeps jerking him around... I find that hard to believe, though, when a photo taken in February (since removed from their Facebook) showed a toilet sitting in the middle of the dining room.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 3:09 PM

Sad, but not really a surprise. He closed down La Costa at King William and Hughson a few years ago in favour of a new Burlington location. At the time he said he would never come back to downtown Hamilton. I was a little surprised when the City announced he won the bid for Lister restaurant last year. It is a shame they felt his was the most suitable bid. I was looking forward to eating at 28 Lister when/if it opens, but after reading that article in The Spec, I think I would rather take a pass on giving my business there. the guys is way too shady for my taste. Frankly, someone at the city should be taken to task for not performing due diligence when backgrounding DesRochers.

From what I understand, DesRochers has shuttered his La Costa Nuova restaurant in Burlington now too, so I don't have much faith in 28 Lister ever opening (or if it does, I doubt it will stay open for long). Perhaps the city can call a breach of contract, take control of the vacant restaurant in Lister and pass it on to the former operators of The Sirloin Cellar. Now that was definitely a case of the city jerking around a legitimate business operator who stuck it out with the city core when others like DesRoches ran for Burlington. They had to shutter the Sirloin Cellar because of the city's inaction at correcting the leak issue with the public alleyway next to the former Sirloin Cellar site. As compensation, the city should give them the keys to 28 Lister.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 3:14 PM

It's a shame. That corner needs a breath of life to help connect the booming King William to James N.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 4:02 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post

Perhaps the city can call a breach of contract, take control of the vacant restaurant in Lister and pass it on to the former operators of The Sirloin Cellar. Now that was definitely a case of the city jerking around a legitimate business operator who stuck it out with the city core when others like DesRoches ran for Burlington. They had to shutter the Sirloin Cellar because of the city's inaction at correcting the leak issue with the public alleyway next to the former Sirloin Cellar site. As compensation, the city should give them the keys to 28 Lister.
I'd love to see this happen. Somebody definitely screwed up at the city here (big surprise).
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 4:05 PM
Hammer'd

They seem to be on the defense on their facebook page. Not sure how to take it:

"We are aware of the article in The Hamilton Spectator today. We would like to ensure you that the restaurant is not plagued with money woes. The restaurant has had its share of hardships due to an array of reasons, including most recently the passing of the Executive Chef and minority partner Frank Bedell. Additional delays and issues with the construction - areas that required repair, complications with duct work, access to building spaces, delays with materials arriving from United States.

Chris DesRoches loves Hamilton and cannot wait to open the doors to the restaurant. We assure you those doors will be open as soon as possible.

DesRoches is extremely disappointed with The Hamilton Spectator and he has been advised to consider legal action due to the slanderous felonious liable claims printed in the article.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 6:42 PM

Holy shit. Incredible that the city gave this guy money after screwing over the owners of Sirloin Cellar.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 6:54 PM

The owners of the Sirloin Cellar are probably no good at schmoozing with city officials while this other guy probably bases his entire livelihood off it.

Why is the city paying for stuff like this anyway? Didn't they sink enough money into restoring the building?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
consider legal action due to the slanderous felonious liable claims printed in the article. [/b]
I think he means libel? The Spectator or any newspaper is very careful to avoid this and they have lawyers to advise if it is a concern. I'm sure they checked their facts before printing an explosive article like this one.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 8:51 PM

"felonious"

chortle

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 8:52 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
From what I understand, DesRochers has shuttered his La Costa Nuova restaurant in Burlington now too, so I don't have much faith in 28 Lister ever opening (or if it does, I doubt it will stay open for long). Perhaps the city can call a breach of contract, take control of the vacant restaurant in Lister and pass it on to the former operators of The Sirloin Cellar. Now that was definitely a case of the city jerking around a legitimate business operator who stuck it out with the city core when others like DesRoches ran for Burlington. They had to shutter the Sirloin Cellar because of the city's inaction at correcting the leak issue with the public alleyway next to the former Sirloin Cellar site. As compensation, the city should give them the keys to 28 Lister.
La Costa Nuova became Celli's Osteria about a year and a half ago. I don't know if DesRoches is involved in the new restaurant at all.

Hopefully the city can move quickly to get a new operator in there if 28 Lister doesn't go ahead... but given the background and apparent nature of this guy I imagine there may be legal issues that could hold things up.

It is quite a shame how the city can be so heavy handed and inflexible with stable and credible business owners, yet so easy and obtuse in other situations. It's unbelievable that they didn't look into proponents more deeply when evaluating the proposals, and hopefully their procedures do improve as the director mentioned in the story; improvements that should be applied in many areas of city business.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Perhaps the city can call a breach of contract, take control of the vacant restaurant in Lister and pass it on to the former operators of The Sirloin Cellar. Now that was definitely a case of the city jerking around a legitimate business operator who stuck it out with the city core when others like DesRoches ran for Burlington. They had to shutter the Sirloin Cellar because of the city's inaction at correcting the leak issue with the public alleyway next to the former Sirloin Cellar site. As compensation, the city should give them the keys to 28 Lister.
That would be great. I think the owners have sold their building and moved on.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
That would be great. I think the owners have sold their building and moved on.
Yes. CoreUrban bought it and will fix it up.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
La Costa Nuova became Celli's Osteria about a year and a half ago. I don't know if DesRoches is involved in the new restaurant at all.

Hopefully the city can move quickly to get a new operator in there if 28 Lister doesn't go ahead... but given the background and apparent nature of this guy I imagine there may be legal issues that could hold things up.

It is quite a shame how the city can be so heavy handed and inflexible with stable and credible business owners, yet so easy and obtuse in other situations. It's unbelievable that they didn't look into proponents more deeply when evaluating the proposals, and hopefully their procedures do improve as the director mentioned in the story; improvements that should be applied in many areas of city business.
People from Cafe Oranje were saying on Twitter that they had to have pretty intense personal audits during the tender process, and seem pretty livid that this guy apparently didn't have to.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 5:19 PM

Biked past the Lister today, and there was a sign going up on the lot to the North of it (the Thomas building?). I think the website was artizencondos.com, but that's just a holding page right now.

(I'm pretty sure it said "artizen." It definitely didn't say artisan.)

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 11:37 PM

Artizen? Kewl...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 12:03 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Biked past the Lister today, and there was a sign going up on the lot to the North of it (the Thomas building?). I think the website was artizencondos.com, but that's just a holding page right now.

(I'm pretty sure it said "artizen." It definitely didn't say artisan.)
I just checked the site and it was indeed that.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 1:02 AM

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
I think the website was artizencondos.com, but that's just a holding page right now.
The site just launched, it's a registration site.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 10:20 AM

Been waiting since the project was announced for more info like price per sq ft.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 11:03 AM

Contractor sues 28 Lister owner over invoices
(Hamilton Spectator, Steve Buist, June 6 2014)

A Hamilton contractor who worked on the long-awaited Lister Block restaurant has launched a lawsuit against owner Chris DesRoches over unpaid invoices.

Josh Ridgway is seeking more than $16,200 from DesRoches in Hamilton small claims court for work dating back to last year that he alleges went unpaid.
Ridgway's company, Red Seal Drywall, did drywall work inside the unfinished 28 Lister Chophouse Grill.

The long-delayed restaurant is now slated to open at the end of June, according to a city spokesperson….

Allegations contained in Ridgway's claim have not been proven in court.

In an email message to The Spectator, DesRoches indicated he intends to file a defence to the claim before the 20-day response period expires next week and also intends to countersue over what he described as "substandard workmanship."

"Seriously, are there not bigger fish to fry?" DesRoches wrote in his response to The Spectator. "You really should try and do something positive in your life rather than being a 'Monday Morning Quarterback.'"

Read it in full here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton