HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 7:42 PM

I guess that I am just not in a condo mindset since selling my Toronto condo and moving back to Hamilton but I find the idea that people would buy a condo in that neighbourhood interesting since you can get a decent full house for $200-$250,000 there. I can understand James North or Locke but Cumberland backing on to the train tracks? That said, I am always glad to see more development.

When I was younger I did love the scent of Lifesavers in the air when I was visiting my friends in the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 8:05 PM

I think a lot of the people are attracted to the idea of a new, low maintenance, condo, rather than an old house which can have untold problems. I'm not sure if it's worth the extra cost, but I'd imagine that's a lot of people's reasoning.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 8:10 PM

Nah. They just want to lick a balcony daily.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2014, 1:17 PM

Anyone have an update on this project? Or know how to get update? I can do some of leg work - live in stinson school and want to see how viable other projects are that can help area.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 1:47 AM

I googled, and talked to some of the people in the neighbourhood that usually know this kind of thing... no updates here, sorry.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
I googled, and talked to some of the people in the neighbourhood that usually know this kind of thing... no updates here, sorry.
Resurrecting this old thread. I noticed a post on a local FB Group re the proposed development. There was a incorrect comment that the zoning approval had happened. The reaction was pretty...angry, as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When did 100 Cumberland get the go ahead for zoning? We haven't even had an official meeting with the neighbourhood. I've received no notifications. There were far too many valid concerns from residents for it to go ahead as planned. If it did, it was shoved through and someone is getting a greased palm."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know what the "valid concerns" are? Why is this project stalled? It would be a great asset to the neighbourhood, imo.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 5:29 PM
Hammer'd

I don't see what the concerns could possibly be. I don't think they were looking at adding much to the building, so the unit number wouldn't be that large. Probably less units than the Stinson school, which is in the same neighborhood.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I don't see what the concerns could possibly be...
I made some back-channel inquiries. The project appears to be stalled.

Toronto-based Archer Developments is still on title for the property.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I don't see what the concerns could possibly be. I don't think they were looking at adding much to the building, so the unit number wouldn't be that large. Probably less units than the Stinson school, which is in the same neighborhood.
Technically, the Stinson School is in the Stinson Neighbourhood, while this is St Clair. The border is Wentworth Street. I go to some of the Stinson CA meetings, and this has never been brought up. It being another ward probably doesn't help things, communications-wise.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 4:46 PM

The project may have some life. This was posted on the FB group Sherman Hub about a week ago:

"Has anyone in the Cumberland/Burris area received notice that the construction at 100 Cumberland has been approved and is proceeding?"

There is some concern that the development is going ahead "without a permit". As far as I know the Committee of Adjustment hasn't given a variance, and the project stalled out long ago. Anyone know the latest news?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 2:59 PM

Is this loft completed or still pending city approval for construction? It looks amazing. Hope it turns out like the Witton lofts.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 6:44 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
Another rendering:

Source
This building looks gayer than toronto pride

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebanny View Post
Is this loft completed or still pending city approval for construction? It looks amazing. Hope it turns out like the Witton lofts.
This project is still stalled, or not happening at all.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
This project is still stalled, or not happening at all.
Thread revival

This project is alive and well! Walked by the site last night and saw the sign regarding an application for the zoning change. (Sorry, no pic but I'll get one soon). There was a meeting on June 19th at City Hall.

Proposal is still a 5-storey, 65 unit building, with 87 parking spaces.

I talked to someone who us standing in front of the building. He says there's lots of neighbourhood support for the development. The only existing commercial tenant (custom kitchen and bathroom cabinet makers) will relocate. Apparently the building owner has properties all over Hamilton and will offer space to the this tenant.

I'm really hoping this project moves forward!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 2:04 AM

Update:

Matthew Green is holding a community meeting about this project (proposed zoning bylaw amendment). Wednesday, July 18th, 7:00pm, 705 Main Street East (HAARP).

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 10:33 PM
It's Hammer Time

Life Savers condo ignites a bittersweet feud between neighbours
Some residents worry repurposing old factory will ruin their view of escarpment and worsen parking woes in area

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/8...en-neighbours/

A proposed condo development at Hamilton's old Life Savers candy factory has unwrapped a bittersweet divide among neighbours.

The Toronto developers behind The Life Saver Lofts Condominium Development at 100 Cumberland Ave. near Sanford Avenue — in the works for at least five years — are asking the city Tuesday to rezone the property from light industrial to a multiple dwellings district.

But several neighbours have expressed written and verbal concerns, including nine submissions from the public and a petition with 31 signatures.

Complaints include the obstruction of escarpment views, the length of the construction process and more parking wars in the area — to name a few.

Archer Development Corp. is looking to renovate and repurpose the vacant and dilapidated two-floor factory that closed down in 2004. It opened in 1922.

Three floors will be added to the existing structure to create a total of 65 units. The nearby city-owned Lifesavers Park will not be affected by the construction.

"People need to get a life," says Gloria Leclair. She's lived in a two-storey house on Burris Street, directly across from the east-side entrance to the factory for the last year.

She didn't want to sign a community petition to stop the project. She wants the developers to go ahead.

"Change is change and it's better for people to have places to live than let it be an old eyesore."

The old red brick walls are marked by graffiti and plywood covers the busted windows. It's set against the greenery of the sprawling escarpment behind it.

Casey Irvin has owned his home just north of Cumberland and a few houses down from the factory for three years now.

He's not keen on a looming obstructed view of the escarpment with several new floors being proposed. But he's still in favour of the development.

"Right now, we just see broken windows."

He understands his neighbours' concerns and has attended previous public meetings about the development. Keeping the factory zoned as industrial means another manufacturer could move in, and perhaps it's production won't be as sweet smelling as candy, he says.

For now, Kitchens & Bath Factory Direct uses the space.

Irvin agrees a condo development will bring increased traffic to the area as well as add to the race for already coveted parking spots. But it's what needs to happen, he believes.

"It will add value to the neighbourhood — and not just property value," he says. "More people will be interested in the area and it will have a positive impact on the neighbourhood."

David Speagle has lived on the northeast corner lot across from the Life Savers factory for 37 years.

"When we moved in, it was a beautiful piece of property," he says, recalling the cut grass and efficient maintenance. He shakes his head at those protesting the development.

"Parking is tight but that's a weak excuse," he says. "Anything to clean up that mess. It would be welcome."

Attempts to reach Archer Development Corp. over the weekend were unsuccessful.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 12:40 AM

That might be the most refreshing take on a development the Spec has ever published.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 3:20 AM

Typical NIMBY dolts. We live close to this proposed development. The site is an eyesore. Obstruction of escarpment views? OFFS! Grow up. Parking competition? Puhleeese!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 3:18 PM

31 whole signatures! The people have spoken, time to pack up and go home lifesaver lofts

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatboots View Post
31 whole signatures! The people have spoken, time to pack up and go home lifesaver lofts
If Matthew Green doesn't support this project, 31 signatures will be all that is needed to kill it. He'll actively campaign against it, is my worry.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton