HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:36 PM

Didn't the Argos use Lamport as a practice facility back in the day? I have hazy memories of watching Sportsline in the early 90s and seeing interviews with the likes of John Congemi and Don Matthews with Lamport's bleachers in the background. Or am I misremembering?

Also, didn't the Argos buy or long-term lease Don Bosco? That always struck me as a very awkward setup, I'm sure the club must be grateful to be getting away from there. So what happens to their obligations on that front?

Lastly, why couldn't they fit the entire Argo organization at BMO? Seems odd to me that a facility like that wouldn't have enough room, not that Ricoh Coliseum is too far away mind you.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:40 PM

Als have never worn green and red throwbacks IIRC. It'll be weird, sort of like the time the Roughriders wore black and red.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 7:17 PM
Has been

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Didn't the Argos use Lamport as a practice facility back in the day? I have hazy memories of watching Sportsline in the early 90s and seeing interviews with the likes of John Congemi and Don Matthews with Lamport's bleachers in the background. Or am I misremembering?
Your memory is fine. I worked a block away from Lamport in the 90s and would see the Argos there all the time.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
The Als are making moves
MAY 31, 2018

A blank helmet? Earn Your Wings t-shirts? Retro logos? What does it all mean? Étienne Boulay has all the answers just in time for tonight's game!
I loved the winged helmet and the white uniform from 1946. Just a great idea all around. Looks like the CFL is finally bringing it all together. Commissioner Randy has got them on the right road. Will be interesting to see what the rating will be on the Argo/TiCat game tonight. Certainly one of the most anticipated pre season games that I can recall.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
Alouettes bring back the red and white winged helmets. Too bad it won't happen.
Don't speak too soon, your wish will be granted.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 11:18 PM

Terry Jones tweeted this out. Very impressive

BREAKING -- As of 4 p.m., only two hours into Grey Cup ticket sales there have been 46,796 tickets sold. It’s wild! Less than 10,000 remaining to a sellout. Could be gone in hours!

@byTerryJones

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 12:40 AM

How's this for premature. Two plays and Johnny Canadian Football is already channeling Doug Flutie. And then he gets sacked

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 12:43 AM
Community Guy

Over 47,000 tickets sold for the Grey Cup. Capacity for the game is 55,819.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Don't speak too soon, your wish will be granted.

It's a great idea, but this should be their standard uniform. What they wear now is just a mess...looks like a drunk with crayons designed it. Is that the pre-1970 CFL logo I see at the neckline?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
https://en.montrealalouettes.com/201...-making-moves/

I really liked these uniforms from 1970
I saw the uniform and immediately thought of Sonny Wade. Scroll down and there he was!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
I saw the uniform and immediately thought of Sonny Wade. Scroll down and there he was!
Yeah, why is that? I did too, must be the name, Sonny Wade, you don't forget something like that.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 12:10 PM

I like this uniform and logo better than their current ones. The Als logo is straight out of the late 90’s in terms of style and it didn’t age well. Back then it was very common to use this art style and to give an angry look to whatever is represented but now it looks bad and cheesy. Logo is too detailed, dated and cheesy and uniform has too many/bland colours.

The few NHL teams who had a logo in a similar art style reverted back to their vintage logos or created new ones in a more classic style because those don’t go out of fashion.

Go back to using 2 colours and make the logo clean and simple. Their triangle-shaped logo and uniforms from the 1980’s they use once in a while are classic and look very good.

Last edited by le calmar; Jun 2, 2018 at 1:48 PM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 1:26 PM

The best CFL uniform era was the 70's and 80's and I wish all 9 teams could go back to those uniforms.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Yeah, why is that? I did too, must be the name, Sonny Wade, you don't forget something like that.
Could be the name. I was just starting my interest in the CFL (and sports in general) in the late 60's. While always a Bomber fan, I did like the Alouettes jerseys, and Wade, Evanshen, and Dalla Riva always seemed to play an exciting, gunslinger type of game.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 3:17 PM
Community Guy

Less than 7000 tickets left for the Grey Cup this November in Edmonton.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I like this uniform and logo better than their current ones. The Als logo is straight out of the late 90’s in terms of style and it didn’t age well. Back then it was very common to use this art style and to give an angry look to whatever is represented but now it looks bad and cheesy. Logo is too detailed, dated and cheesy and uniform has too many/bland colours.

The few NHL teams who had a logo in a similar art style reverted back to their vintage logos or created new ones in a more classic style because those don’t go out of fashion.

Go back to using 2 colours and make the logo clean and simple. Their triangle-shaped logo and uniforms from the 1980’s they use once in a while are classic and look very good.
Totally agree, especially about those angular NHL logos uggh.

As the OP said the Als will be using all their old logos every month which is pretty cool.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 4:49 PM

I know it's very early, but with the very little exposure to the game and just a dozen or so snaps, I thought Johnny Ticat did pretty well in his debut. Gotta ease up on that losing yardage scrambling, but I thought he looked pretty comfortable out there.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 6:57 PM
Starring as himself

He looked pretty good, although Chris Streveler's debut in Winnipeg was somewhat more impressive at 10/10 with a couple of TDs. Also some very good numbers for Ricky Lloyd in BC, apparently.

The big story in the Hamilton game should have been how solid the Argos look, even with no Ricky Ray, James Wilder Jr., et al.

That Manziel broadcast was peak Rod Black, though. It was unbearable at points.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 9:59 PM

^ TSN had Rod Black on the Argos/Ticats game? I could only imagine how that went...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2018, 10:04 PM
Community Guy

Over 49000 sold now. We are hoping to break our own record of 6 days. With around 6000 left to sell, I would expect this can be done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada