HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 14, 2010, 6:28 PM
Man of Many Statistics

China is playing catch up... and it isn't like they have something we don't.

We certainly have enough electricity for everyone to consume quite a bit and we put out less pollution than China so on balance, we're doing it faster and better than they are by far.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2010, 12:37 PM

Well, T-Bird Pickens was on the news and he said we can get off oil in 8 years but Obama has got to make people do it.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 6:31 AM
Man of Many Statistics

I didn't see that under the list of presidential powers. "Magically create alternate energy and force everyone to use it." Pickens should do it himself.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 1:55 PM

Well, it's not some magical thing, you just have to get out there and talk about it all the time, tell people they are going to have sacrifice some, forget all this theory talk about cap and trade and whatnot. Just break it down to the brass tacks and get everybody to cut back 5% of energy every year, before you know it you have made some headway. Quit yelling about this BP thing, it's everybody who wants gas that makes such as that happen and it will happen again if people don't cut back. Look at what Ike and LBJ and them did.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 3:09 PM
Man of Many Statistics

I wasn't aware that Obama's cap a trade system was a theory.. it already passed a house of Congress. If you can find 60 willing senators then great, otherwise it isn't up to Obama.

As I said Pikens is free to try to become dictator of America. LBJ and Ike didn't get us off oil either and in terms of legislative victories in health care, energy, and financial reform, this president is far more capable than either.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308 View Post
As I said Pikens is free to try to become dictator of America. LBJ and Ike didn't get us off oil either and in terms of legislative victories in health care, energy, and financial reform, this president is far more capable than either.
Well, LBJ got in there and got Civil Rights, Medicare and Medicaid and put a man on the moon and this-that-and the other. He didn't mind doing the unpopular, he just let the chips fall where they may and when people said he had to go he said, "All right" and went. Where Johnson messed up was on Vietnam which you couldn't win, like most of these other wars and whatnot. He just said let Nixon and his people have it if they are so great, and of course they messed it up even worse.

Now Ike, he got the country moving. When he came in you could hardly even drive from one end of the country to the other, much less with a bunch of tanks, so he said "Let's build the greatest highway system the world has ever known" and the rest is history. Ike was also on top of that situation with the military industrial crowd and so forth and nobody was going to sass him since he'd been a 5-star himself.

As to the cap and trade thing, the problem is people don't get it, as you can tell from the emails going around and Gov. Palin and so forth. The average person just sees it as some big government thing, more taxes on the working man and what have you.

As the president you have to break it down where people know exactly what they are being asked to do and can understand why. Take Obama when he was running, he was telling everybody to keep their tires pumped up. But when is the last time you heard him say that? You have got to get out there every few weeks with some new thing that people can understand and deal with. Such as, "My fellow Americans, let's all bite the bullet and get our tires pumped up, by the end of this month we will have cut our oil needs by 4%." Then you say something like, "My fellow Americans, we must all sacrifice to make this country great, so you all get your houses insulated right and send the receipt up here to my right hand man and he will cut you a check back for half of it." Then you just keep on. The next month you tell everybody they have got to chip in and cut their driving by so much and tell them how much oil that will save. Most people will do the right thing if they understand and you keep after them about it.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 4:34 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Maybe I'm young or something, but is it normal for a president to repeat his general helpful advice daily? I assume that these things can be slightly delegated to perhaps common sense or a website or a PSA.

Are you keeping up with this dude? Energy is important sure but he has a ton of stuff he's out there pushing. Is two daily speeches not enough anymore? What was Bush's average?

Anyway there is no need to sacrifice to turn over to clean energy. The point was to make it cheaper than dirty energy and let us keep our freedom to choose. By the way it may not matter to you but Gay civil rights are a pretty big deal and the Health care act for the first time made the government responsible for the heath of every American which is a hell of a lot more than Medicare or Medicaid. The HSR network and the hundreds of billions already spent fixing the aging road network is functionally the same as what Ike did. More than that Obama has us landing on asteroids and advanced the space industry by about 10 years easy. Er not to mention dealing with the worst deck of cards of any president in history with maybe the exception of FDR, but then again maybe not.

Last edited by dante2308; Jul 1, 2010 at 5:54 AM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 5:56 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Let me put this another way. You want Obama to talk about energy more. Okay. Point taken. I think he'll put it on the front burner once his Financial Reform/Supreme Court nomination soup is finished. Until then, he only pushes it a couple times a week.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 12:05 AM

Well it kindly goes with the territory. You don't get elected president because people love you but on account of they have given you a job to do. Which is why you get to live rent free in a big house and have 5000 people come along to wait on you hand and foot everywhere you go, plus guaranteed medical and a fat taxpayer paid pension for life.

Let's say they elected me, everybody's going to be fussing. So if they say, "Mr. Bell, what in tarnation are you doing about energy, we haven't heard two peeps out of you," what do I say. "Well, sorry, I got to take care of all these gay fellas who want to get married and run around in Afghanistan and whatnot"?

You think people are going to say, well, all right, President Bell, you poor thing, you got a raw deal, so never mind. No, when you are president you have got to wear lots of hats and fast. Is it too much to take about 5 minutes every two weeks and get on people about pumping up their tires and insulating their house?

Okay, so one man can't do it all but he has got to get the right people in there. You have got unlimited money and you can get anybody you want. Say I am president, I can hire you and T-Bone Pickens and pay you a bundle and say, "Now get out there and make all these people understand we have got to cut back and show them exactly how to do it without a bunch of dang government spending which we don't have in the first place, the taxpayers are fed up with that." And then I say, I want a one page report from you and T-Bird on my desk every Friday showing me what you have done and what I am going to say to kick start it all over again. You have to stay on people to get things like that done.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2010, 3:32 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Cybele, are you really suggesting that Obama isn't talking about energy?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta