HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 10:05 PM

The block between Broadway Tower and the Park Blocks is owned by the Broadway Tower owners and was discussed during the approval of the tower. The Tower owners have identified a housing project on that quarter block to be completed within so many years of the Tower's completion. I believe the details are earlier in this thread.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Is there a plan for the empty lot next to park blocks. I'm always amazed that we still have lots along these blocks that don't have buildings or something of value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORNative View Post
The block between Broadway Tower and the Park Blocks is owned by the Broadway Tower owners and was discussed during the approval of the tower. The Tower owners have identified a housing project on that quarter block to be completed within so many years of the Tower's completion. I believe the details are earlier in this thread.
By coincidence, the Notice of a Pre-Application Conference for that project got posted on the city website today.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Broadway Tower hits the bottom and starts its way up

About five months after crews officially broke ground on the Broadway Tower project, the giant pit at the corner of Southwest Broadway and Southwest Columbia has bottomed out and a 375-foot crane now towers above it.

As of mid-October, excavation work by Howard S. Wright Construction and its subcontractors had just about wrapped up, leaving a 70-foot-deep void where once stood the former Oregonians Credit Union building and a parking lot. That void will become four levels of underground parking beneath the 19-story tower.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 10:53 PM
A before E

I am actually surprised they aren't digging the full 3/4 block and making the whole space and underground garage with plans to build on top of the part next to the park blocks later. Nonetheless, I am excited to see this tower start rising from the ground.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2016, 11:37 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I am actually surprised they aren't digging the full 3/4 block and making the whole space and underground garage with plans to build on top of the part next to the park blocks later. Nonetheless, I am excited to see this tower start rising from the ground.
It is my understanding that the developer has an agreement with the City to complete within a specific tight timeframe the adjacent parcel facing the South Park Blocks with a lower-scale residential building. I believe that the developer has already begun the design advice / review process. And so there is no need for such a deep lower level for parking stalls because the lower-scale residential building does not have that need.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 1:20 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
It is my understanding that the developer has an agreement with the City to complete within a specific tight timeframe the adjacent parcel facing the South Park Blocks with a lower-scale residential building. I believe that the developer has already begun the design advice / review process. And so there is no need for such a deep lower level for parking stalls because the lower-scale residential building does not have that need.
That makes sense, digging a 3/4 block for a parking garage would be considerably more than what they are currently doing. My guess is that we will see a residential building that will be a similar size as the other residential building on this block. I do hope we see that happen sooner than later so that we can have a completed block.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 1:27 AM

It's an 8 story building, per this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
By coincidence, the Notice of a Pre-Application Conference for that project got posted on the city website today.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 5:15 AM

That is the biggest hole Ive seen for a new building. Standing next to it is almost like standing on the top floor of a parking garage and looking down.

Its nuts

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 7:16 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cailes View Post
That is the biggest hole Ive seen for a new building. Standing next to it is almost like standing on the top floor of a parking garage and looking down.

Its nuts
That brings up a good question, does anyone know which hole is the deepest in downtown? I remember it being the one that is now the Fox Tower, but I am not sure if anything has gone deeper than that.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
That brings up a good question, does anyone know which hole is the deepest in downtown? I remember it being the one that is now the Fox Tower, but I am not sure if anything has gone deeper than that.
I'm glad you limited this question to downtown, otherwise the answer would definitely be the Woodstock Mystery Hole.

http://www.barronmind.com/wmh.htm

Downtown, it's probably the fox tower:

The largest one-time pour of concrete and the deepest excavation in Portland's history, taking more than 400 cement trucks over 24 hours to provide a continuous pour of concrete 65 feet below grade.

Cyan/PDX was five stories deep, probably just over 50 feet. My memory fails me. I don't think PAW passed the fox tower, but I could be wrong...

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeade View Post
I'm glad you limited this question to downtown, otherwise the answer would definitely be the Woodstock Mystery Hole.

Is this a real thing or just an Onion type story? The story in the link is hard to read seriously.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2016, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Is this a real thing or just an Onion type story? The story in the link is hard to read seriously.
It's real. I haven't been, but my sister visited when she was in town recently. It sounded like the gift store was more exciting than the attraction itself.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 6:57 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeade View Post

Downtown, it's probably the fox tower:

The largest one-time pour of concrete and the deepest excavation in Portland's history, taking more than 400 cement trucks over 24 hours to provide a continuous pour of concrete 65 feet below grade.

Cyan/PDX was five stories deep, probably just over 50 feet. My memory fails me. I don't think PAW passed the fox tower, but I could be wrong...
I have never heard of the Mystery Hole before. Those weird, random things I love about Portland. I will have to check it out sometime.

Old Posted May 9, 2017, 2:21 PM

Last edited by maccoinnich; Jul 21, 2017 at 6:20 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:59 PM

It's starting to climb!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 3:36 AM

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 6:05 AM

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 1:48 PM

Think how much further along it would be if there weren't 8 levels of parking below grade?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 5:21 PM
A before E

Oh wow, I didn't realize they were already out of the ground yet. Apparently it has been a while since I have been down Broadway.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 5:48 PM

It's rising quickly now!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland