HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 4:09 PM

Machine Works building | 9 floors | Complete

A bold strong look for a Pearl building
Thursday, February 01, 2007
Fred Leeson

Surprise. The next new building in the Pearl District won't have a single brick.

Or any condos.

Developer Albert Solheim has won approval for a nine-story building at 1123 N.W. 14th Ave. that will include a fitness center and three stories of parking, capped by four stories for offices.

Called the Machine Works after a one-story building it will replace, the bold-looking structure is intended to reflect the Pearl's industrial history. The only real perspiration, though, will probably be confined to the LA Fitness outlet Solheim has signed to a long-term lease.

The building's exterior flexes a muscular mix of poured concrete, glass, anodized aluminum and zinc panels. "The rawness of the product is what we thought would be appropriate," Tamio Fukuyama, a Group Mackenzie architect, says of the concrete.

While cranes still represent the Pearl's legendary condo growth, "that wave is subsiding," Solheim says. The four floors of office space, as yet unleased, may make it possible for some condo dwellers to both live and work in the neighborhood.

Appropriately, perhaps, the three floors of parking will back up to Interstate 405. Developers are finding it more economical to include parking as part of the structure, rather than dig deep underground.

The Machine Works' recreational and office uses and its materials earned praise from the Portland Design Commission, which voted 6-1 in favor of the plan Jan. 18. Chairman Michael McCulloch said he was pleased to see the Pearl won't be "all condos and people selling coffee to each other."

Commission member Lloyd Lindley likes the variety of materials. "Brick buildings are a huge tradition in this city," he said. "It's hard to get away from that. It's going to be a nice addition to the district."

Of course, it wouldn't be the Pearl if there weren't something arty. Solheim's building is the first, according to city building officials, to earn a modest bonus in size by including public art. Who creates the art, what it looks like and where it goes will be determined by the Regional Arts & Culture Council, not the developer, architect or design commission.

"We don't have much control," Fukuyama told the design panel. "But this is something we are committed to doing. It will be something in concert with the building."

The design commission originally took issue with the slick glass envelope wrapping the four office floors. Some members said the top looked too much like something in a suburban office park.

Fukuyama modified the design so it has modestly recessed window bands and horizontal metal mullions tiered to enhance a feeling of motion. "Our goal was to make it an urban office building and not Beaverton," said Kristin Ford, a design team member.

"I'm still not excited about the upper four levels, but that's just me," said McCulloch, who cast the dissenting vote.

Still, it will be unlike anything else in the Pearl. As commission member Jeff Stuhr said, "It takes us beyond the ubiquitous box."

Fred Leeson: 503-294-5946; fredleeson@news.oregonian.com

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 6:45 PM

I found a rendering

http://www.groupmackenzie.com/

Click 'Enter Site'
Click 'In Progress' right hand side of screen

The design is boring, ugly, and well, boring...

where is this supposed to go anyway?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 6:48 PM

Yeah, i agree...i don't see whats so special and unique about this building. I'm not liking the above ground parking either.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 6:55 PM
Pacific Wonderland

IMO this one is ok, it really comes down to surfaces and materials, could really be nice if the right picks are made, which it sounds like they are trying to do. Also nice to see another mixed-use tower.

rendering from Mackenzie site:

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 7:38 PM
A before E

weird, no brick?? maybe pearl residents will vandalize it after its built by attaching bricks to the sides of the building.

It looks okay, it will add to the density of the Pearl which is nice.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 7:46 PM

dang could that website be any more cluttered? its almost as bad as the building.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 8:00 PM

I'll hold my final judgement to when they actually place material on the actual building. However, I find the rounded corner entry odd, since it has no relevance to the rest of the building, and the parking levels seem to really disconnect the upper floors from the lower (I don't mind the blank wall as a formal element, it just seems more divisive than it needs to be). The vertical glass element is a good idea, but It seems as though it is yet another element introduced instead of bridging the upper and lower floors, which in my opinion is needed. Perhaps it would be stronger and actually pull things together if it were on the corner and thus force them to lose the rounded corner entry which is dropped in from nowhere.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 8:30 PM
Karma Police

Ugh.

Well, hopefully this will just fade into the background and not stand out too much when it's finished. Fortunately, it backs right up to 405. And at least it increases the density of the area.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 9:10 PM

It reminds me a bit of the Safeway building.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 9:12 PM

^the initial rendering of the Safeway building and this one did look similiar. The latest Safeway rendering though was much improved, much better than this one so far anyway.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 9:36 PM
Karma Police

The circular entance at the corner is totally out of place. The easiest way to improve this bldg would be to get rid of it. And yes, hopefully they'll tweak the whole thing a little, like they did with the Safeway.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 10:11 PM

new one for the Pearl...

Machine Works building

A bold strong look for a Pearl building
Thursday, February 01, 2007
Fred Leeson

Surprise. The next new building in the Pearl District won't have a single brick.

Or any condos.

Developer Albert Solheim has won approval for a nine-story building at 1123 N.W. 14th Ave. that will include a fitness center and three stories of parking, capped by four stories for offices.

Called the Machine Works after a one-story building it will replace, the bold-looking structure is intended to reflect the Pearl's industrial history. The only real perspiration, though, will probably be confined to the LA Fitness outlet Solheim has signed to a long-term lease.

The building's exterior flexes a muscular mix of poured concrete, glass, anodized aluminum and zinc panels. "The rawness of the product is what we thought would be appropriate," Tamio Fukuyama, a Group Mackenzie architect, says of the concrete.

While cranes still represent the Pearl's legendary condo growth, "that wave is subsiding," Solheim says. The four floors of office space, as yet unleased, may make it possible for some condo dwellers to both live and work in the neighborhood.

Appropriately, perhaps, the three floors of parking will back up to Interstate 405. Developers are finding it more economical to include parking as part of the structure, rather than dig deep underground.

The Machine Works' recreational and office uses and its materials earned praise from the Portland Design Commission, which voted 6-1 in favor of the plan Jan. 18. Chairman Michael McCulloch said he was pleased to see the Pearl won't be "all condos and people selling coffee to each other."

Commission member Lloyd Lindley likes the variety of materials. "Brick buildings are a huge tradition in this city," he said. "It's hard to get away from that. It's going to be a nice addition to the district."

Of course, it wouldn't be the Pearl if there weren't something arty. Solheim's building is the first, according to city building officials, to earn a modest bonus in size by including public art. Who creates the art, what it looks like and where it goes will be determined by the Regional Arts & Culture Council, not the developer, architect or design commission.

"We don't have much control," Fukuyama told the design panel. "But this is something we are committed to doing. It will be something in concert with the building."

The design commission originally took issue with the slick glass envelope wrapping the four office floors. Some members said the top looked too much like something in a suburban office park.

Fukuyama modified the design so it has modestly recessed window bands and horizontal metal mullions tiered to enhance a feeling of motion. "Our goal was to make it an urban office building and not Beaverton," said Kristin Ford, a design team member.

"I'm still not excited about the upper four levels, but that's just me," said McCulloch, who cast the dissenting vote.

Still, it will be unlike anything else in the Pearl. As commission member Jeff Stuhr said, "It takes us beyond the ubiquitous box."

Fred Leeson: 503-294-5946; fredleeson@news.oregonian.com

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 2:03 AM

Something about this building seems very 1980s office plaza (in a bad sort of way).

I am kind of surprised that it passed the design review. Prolly mostly due to the fact that it is right against 405 (as others have mentioned) and that it will indeed boost density and be mixed use.

Yes, the devil is, as they say in the details. But I'm not sure even great materials can pull this one off.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 2:07 AM

Cool. I wonder where (specifically) it will go?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:49 AM
Kicking a** since 1907

I know a lot of you work in or study architecture and therefore can rightfully be a little snobby, but I assume that most people would never consider it "ugly".

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 8:10 AM
Karma Police

You don't have to be in the architecture field to know ugly when you see it. But ugly is subjective, so some people will like this.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 1:27 PM

i hope it has a green roof at least

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 2:35 PM

i dont work/study in architecture, and its clear to me where they used a windowless band around the middle of the building that its for parking. it reminds me of something you'd see in Tigard...and yes, is ugly

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 4:41 PM

After I got home last night and was digging through the bOregonian, the print story in the InPortland section yesterday had an updated rendering. The little changes they made does make the building a bit more attractive, not stellar by any means, but it fits the Pearl. I just don't get the headline 'A Bold Strong Look' because even with the updates, it will never be a building I highlight on my Pearl walks with out of town friends.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 5:07 PM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
After I got home last night and was digging through the bOregonian, the print story in the InPortland section yesterday had an updated rendering. The little changes they made does make the building a bit more attractive, not stellar by any means, but it fits the Pearl. I just don't get the headline 'A Bold Strong Look' because even with the updates, it will never be a building I highlight on my Pearl walks with out of town friends.
Well, "bold" and "strong" are nice ways of saying "jarring" and "unforgiving". Kind of like "quaint" and "charming" are nice ways of saying "tiny" with an "odd layout".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland