HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:09 PM
BANNED

^^^Not to be a jerk but there is no North/Fullerton/Elston intersection; do you mean along Elston between North and Fullerton?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Oh god I hope they do. Nothing would be worse than Gentile Center south...

It would be awesome if they located it at the new North/Fullerton/Elston intersection. In fact, I'd be willing to be they'll go after the vacant land that will be created along the river there for their new arena. In any case this is an awesome opportunity to add a beautiful new asset not just to their school, but to the city as well. They'll undoubtably want to use this arena for more than just bball and school events so hopefully it can become a new concert venue or something to bring "arena rock" style shows that are currently held out at the Allstate into the city...
Yes the gentile center is an embarrassment

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 4:43 PM
BANNED

^^^ Tell me about it, I had to look at it every day for three and a half years. It's a little better now that they renovated it, but still awful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
^^^Not to be a jerk but there is no North/Fullerton/Elston intersection; do you mean along Elston between North and Fullerton?
No, sorry, I meant at Fullerton, DAMEN, and Elston. Sorry. Where the ill fated Whirlyball and Hotdog factory are. Would be a perfect parcel IMO.

I think North got sucked in there because I always mix Damen and North up when I'm at the Damen Blue.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 5:01 PM
TL;DR

^^ Can't think of a quicker way to re-congest that intersection after the city builds it.

This could really suck, actually. There aren't any good sites near the L, so DePaul's gonna end up building a ton of parking wherever the arena is. The Finkl site is huge, so if DePaul gets its hands on it they'll probably just put up surface lots.

I wonder if DePaul could get the Peoples Gas site at Division/Elston? It's only 1/2 mile from the Blue Line along Division's crazy-wide sidewalks. They'd need to vastly improve the Kennedy interchange but this seems to offer the best potential.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 5:04 PM

I caught a bit on Fox News yesterday saying the site was the NW corner of Sheffield and Fullerton, which was previously pegged as a visitors center/offices/residential for DePaul, and that they'd have to partially go underground. I don't really see how that site would work though, particularly with traffic.

Last edited by BWChicago; Mar 28, 2012 at 5:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Hire SHoP for the arena!
We can dream...

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 7:05 PM
The City

An interesting fact about Children's Memorial Hospital.

I employs about 4,000 people.

That's 4000 new jobs moving downtown in a few months (assuming that employment levels stay the same, which is doubtful--employment will almost certainly expand over the years)

Hack Reilly requested that roughly 2000 parking spaces be added for this new facility.

That seems like a lot, but in reality there are still 2000 employed for which there is no additional parking being created, and lets not forget the large number of daily family & visitors that will also need to be accommodated.

Streeterville really needs to ramp up mass transit access. I really wish SOAR would get behind a heavy rail line..

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 7:13 PM
Urbane observer

I don't think SOAR really has the authority to add earmarks to the next federal transportation bill.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 7:19 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I don't think SOAR really has the authority to add earmarks to the next federal transportation bill.
^ But they can at least pressure the city to move it up the list of priorities. Isn't clout what this city is all about anyhow?

How much of a role did pressure from community groups play in the city building a new Green Line stop in the west loop, with one now on the way in the south loop?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 8:00 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
I caught a bit on Fox News yesterday saying the site was the NW corner of Sheffield and Fullerton, which was previously pegged as a visitors center/offices/residential for DePaul, and that they'd have to partially go underground. I don't really see how that site would work though, particularly with traffic.
Yep.
Quote:
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/spor...field-20120327

DePaul University Plans to Build New Basketball Arena on Fullerton and Sheffield: Exclusive

Plan pending trustee approval

Updated: Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012, 2:48 PM CDT
Published : Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012, 10:29 PM CDT

By Joanie Lum, FOX Chicago News

Chicago - It's long been a desire of students and alumni to be able to attend basketball games near the campus.

FOX Chicago's Lou Canellis reports that the preferred location is Fullerton and Sheffield, where DePaul already has a parking lot.

That corner is steps away from the CTA Fullerton stop on the edge of campus. If it happens, would mean the influx of 10,000-12,000 fans coming to the neighborhood to attend a Blue Demons basketball game, in what already is considered a congested area..........

There were rumors about other locations: the Finkl Steel plant on Cortland and the Morton Salt Company on Elston.

The university did not have a comment about specific locations. But DePaul did send out a statement:

"A proposal to explore opportunities that address this... is among many ideas on a wide range of issues that are part of the current draft of the university's next long-range strategic plan. The strategic plan is pending trustee approval. The university has a great relationship with Allstate Arena, where the men's program has played the last 32 seasons and we most recently hosted the women's NCAA 1st and 2nd rounds this season."

The contract with Allstate Arena ends in 2015.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 8:55 PM

^
maybe I missed something, but was Morton Salt planning on vacating??

Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 9:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
God your patronizing sarcasm is really old and tiresome. TUP never suggested that SOAR has the authority to add earmarks to any federal legislation. However, they are a vocal group with some prominent members who may be able to get the ear of certain influential legislators and other pols. A lakefront circulator line has been contemplated for decades; yes it would be expensive but I for one would like to see it.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 2:50 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

The New York Times
$7 Billion Public-Private Plan in Chicago Aims to Fix Transit, Schools and Parks
By JOHN SCHWARTZ
Published: March 29, 2012

Chicago is embarking on a $7 billion plan to transform the city’s infrastructure from the skies above to the pipes underground.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel is planning to announce the initiative Thursday. It includes projects to expand the city’s largest airport and improve its streets, water system, schools, community colleges, parks and commuter rail network. The city estimates that these initiatives will create 30,000 jobs over the next three years.....

Read complete NYT article here.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrab View Post
The New York Times
$7 Billion Public-Private Plan in Chicago Aims to Fix Transit, Schools and Parks
By JOHN SCHWARTZ
Published: March 29, 2012

Chicago is embarking on a $7 billion plan to transform the city’s infrastructure from the skies above to the pipes underground.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel is planning to announce the initiative Thursday. It includes projects to expand the city’s largest airport and improve its streets, water system, schools, community colleges, parks and commuter rail network. The city estimates that these initiatives will create 30,000 jobs over the next three years.....

Read complete NYT article here.
Excuse me for being skeptical of anything labeled as a "public private partnership".

http://www.policyalternatives.ca/pub...e-partnerships

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 4:50 PM
TL;DR

^^ It's really just a new way for the city to issue bonds. Instead of putting them on an open market, they borrow all the money for a given project from single-source investors, then pay it back over time using new revenue generated from the infrastructure.

For example, any new revenue from the Red Line extension would go directly back to the creditor. This means CTA would be responsible for funding the new operations without any new revenue to show for it, but it also means the line can actually be built instead of sitting on a drawing board.

I'm not familiar with the economics of water lines and sewers, so I can't comment on those. For transit projects, however, any funds the city raises from the infrastructure bank can be matched 60-40 by the Feds.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 5:14 PM
THAT Guy

New Kellogg building

Northwestern is finally producing decent stuff, at least on its Evanston campus

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 5:24 PM

Chicago's Rental Market on the Upswing

Quote:
Chicago’s downtown, in particular, he said, will see demand overwhelm supply for the next three years, even with a surge in openings expected in 2013. There’s only about 1,200 units to be delivered by December of this year, he said, but about 3,500 units opening in 2013.
The whole article is on Globe Street.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 5:25 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Whoa. Thanks spyguy - do you know who the architect is?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Northwestern is finally producing decent stuff, at least on its Evanston campus

This is fantastic!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:29 PM

^^Maybe this is the info on the Kellogg Building?

http://www.northwestern.edu/fm/proje...-building.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development