HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post

Regarding this proposal, a few personal thoughts.....
  • The development will be almost a mile north of the recycling center, so it doesn't seem like it would have any immediate impact on any impetus to repurpose that site in the immediate future.
  • The knee jerk reaction is to turn the skepticism dial up to 10. Personally, I would only go for 6 as these investors have been putting together this property for the last couple of years. I think it is a buy, get approvals and flip project where the second owner brings in bulldozers and cranes. We have seen similar deals with the Lifeway (now Nashville Yards) campus downtown and the large property in Midtown at Music Row.
  • This looks to be a 20 year +/- build out and will not resemble the renderings very closely. There is a lot of eye candy (ped bridges, movie studios, etc.) that don't seem to encourage a significant return on investment.
  • The most positive takeaway, is outside investors bullish take on Nashville and it's prospects for continued growth.
  • Your list; Damn!! I was willing to settle for the twin 40 story NCI project at the Shelby Street Bridge.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I certainly have a healthy dose of skepticism for this project. Thus the reason I said one of my Christmas wishes "may" come true. If it comes to any fruition, I know it may not come close to the vision depicted. And, I know it doesn't do any thing for the metal junk yard near the stadium. But my wish for the east bank is to start developing the east bank, because it will eventually create a greater need to relocate the metal recycling company.

The entire east bank (minus Nissan Stadium) as is no longer serves the greater good for land use in the urban core. It should be exactly what this developer envisions. They may not be the ones to take it to another level, but they might be the ones that cause others to turn their attention to that stretch of real estate. Just imagine what the area could be if all the industrial stuff is replaced with quads of buildings with green spaces between them. Even if they stay at the 15 story height limit that would be far better than what is there now. Although I would hope that such a restriction would be dismissed. It could be come Nashville's magnificent mile.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 6:57 PM

This is probably my favorite of the River North renderings since it includes the bridge. With so much for Nashville to absorb already, I agree that it will be a while before any of this materializes. This will be an impressive development if even half of this comes to fruition.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 11:01 PM
Future God

Yeah, i mean, this would basically be like adding the equivalent of a whole other downtown to the city. I love the confidence these developers have in the city, but for a city of Nashvilles size it seems it would be difficult for the city to absorb it all.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Yeah, i mean, this would basically be like adding the equivalent of a whole other downtown to the city. I love the confidence these developers have in the city, but for a city of Nashvilles size it seems it would be difficult for the city to absorb it all.
I think the skepticism is warranted by all of us. Especially since we've seen several projects announced that never got off the table. But, let's look at it this way, even in our skepticism, at some point in every major city in this country outside of New York and Chicago, there has always been skepticism when lofty goals and plans are announced. I remember when Atlanta was simply downtown Atlanta and not the sprawling metropolis it is today. I remember when there was no midtown Atlanta, no Buckhead, no Perimeter, none of what you see today. There was plenty of skepticism that a southern city in particular could grow into what Atlanta has become. People in Atlanta had some of the same issues and concerns that people in Nashville and Charlotte have today. But Atlanta continued to move forward for better and for worse depending on one's perspective.

The River North project in Nashville is a lofty vision. But, if there was ever a time for such a vision to have some foundation in Nashville, now is that time. Unlike the period in which Metro Center was announced. That too was a vision with lofty goals that never came to full fruition. But, it somehow still managed to turn into something where there was originally nothing but wasteland.

Nashville North is at least being announced at a time when Nashville is experiencing sustained growth and there is an energy about the city that has never been experienced at least not in my lifetime. Unlike Metro Center, the possibility of Nashville North is at least foreseeable. While I would love to see this development start immediately and continue with continuous sustained growth in a relatively short time frame, this is probably more of a 10, 15 maybe even 20 year or longer project. But everything starts with a vision.

I'm glad that someone finally has the vision of transforming the east bank. I hope that vision will expand all along the east bank from the I-65/24 split to the I-40/24 split. That is a way to expand and grow Nashville without impeding on existing residential neighborhoods. It's a way to create density that is still in the urban core. It is really the most logical next step in growing the urban core of Nashville. And, for those who do not want mid-rise and high rise buildings taking over their neighborhoods here is the solution to preventing that from happening at least in the next 25 years or so. Adding development along the east bank will compliment the growth of SoBro and Midtown as those areas continue to expand. It allows for development east of downtown without overwhelming the residential areas of east Nashville. It'll create a nice transition into downtown specifically from Main Street, Dickerson Road and Ellington Parkway. And, it'll eliminate the vast industrial gap that runs along I-24 that will never serve to enhance the beauty of the city.

Again, I hope this is not a tease project. I hope there is careful thought and real planning going into making River North a reality. Time will tell.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 9:40 PM

Hi everyone. I am not form Nashville but St. Louis instead. I saw the huge developments when I stopped off in Nashville over the summer. I am impressed. Your city must have smart, forward thinking people and adventurous developers to cerate such ambitious projects like River North. I am excited for your city and I hope more projects continue to build up your city. Meanwhile, St. Louis is not doing to good.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stritzel View Post
Hi everyone. I am not form Nashville but St. Louis instead. I saw the huge developments when I stopped off in Nashville over the summer. I am impressed. Your city must have smart, forward thinking people and adventurous developers to cerate such ambitious projects like River North. I am excited for your city and I hope more projects continue to build up your city. Meanwhile, St. Louis is not doing to good.
I lived in STL for 8 years until 2002, so I saw the fall of McDonnell Douglas, TWA, etc. So I know what you mean. The Bottle District, ughhh. But I still say STL is the best city to visit because of all the museums and attractions!!! And some of the big ones are free!!! But things are looking better; IKEA, the new bridge, Southwest will start pushing even more flights through Lambert because Midway is at capacity, Clayton is growing. Snail rail is better than no rail (Nashville) Hahaha!!!

I moved to St. Louis in '95 and knew very quickly that St. Louis didn't have the energy and drive and ambition of Nashville. Ask someone from Nashville where they grew up and you will hear Louisville, Arizona, California, New York, India, China, Japan, Korea, England, .... whereas in St. Louis, just ask what high school they attended. That pretty much sums it up. Even I am shocked at how far Nashville has come; but trust me, it has been 20-30 years in the making

St. Louis is overcoming some of the past hurdles and challenges. There is hope, St. Louis has a lot of things going for it ......

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_TN View Post
I lived in STL for 8 years until 2002, so I saw the fall of McDonnell Douglas, TWA, etc. So I know what you mean. The Bottle District, ughhh. But I still say STL is the best city to visit because of all the museums and attractions!!! And some of the big ones are free!!! But things are looking better; IKEA, the new bridge, Southwest will start pushing even more flights through Lambert because Midway is at capacity, Clayton is growing. Snail rail is better than no rail (Nashville) Hahaha!!!

I moved to St. Louis in '95 and knew very quickly that St. Louis didn't have the energy and drive and ambition of Nashville. Ask someone from Nashville where they grew up and you will hear Louisville, Arizona, California, New York, India, China, Japan, Korea, England, .... whereas in St. Louis, just ask what high school they attended. That pretty much sums it up. Even I am shocked at how far Nashville has come; but trust me, it has been 20-30 years in the making

St. Louis is overcoming some of the past hurdles and challenges. There is hope, St. Louis has a lot of things going for it ......
I plan to visit Nashville Again soon and let your growth sink in. St. Louis is approaching what I call "peak" growth with 100 North Kingshighway and BPV 2. But Nashville clearly has a lot going for them if they are growing taller and projects are getting larger. I hope that Nashville gets a 50+ story proposal soon. That would really help your city even more.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 4:34 PM

Just to chime in, I'm from Charlotte. And my impression is that Nashville has a "buzz" that Charlotte lacks, even though Charlotte has a larger corporate presence, with impressive skyline to match. Carry on!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 5:05 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Just to chime in, I'm from Charlotte. And my impression is that Nashville has a "buzz" that Charlotte lacks, even though Charlotte has a larger corporate presence, with impressive skyline to match. Carry on!
Both Cities are thriving in their own way. I always thought that Nashville and Charlotte, while both being growing, southern cities in roughly the same tier, are not really comparable. Each has it's own individual basis for growth, historical background, cultural and economic engines.

Charlotte has the towering corporate driven skyline while Nashville has a broader scope with strong mid-rise development in non downtown areas such as Midtown, the Gulch and elsewhere.

Both are great cities and are making an impact on America in big ways.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Both Cities are thriving in their own way. I always thought that Nashville and Charlotte, while both being growing, southern cities in roughly the same tier, are not really comparable. Each has it's own individual basis for growth, historical background, cultural and economic engines.

Charlotte has the towering corporate driven skyline while Nashville has a broader scope with strong mid-rise development in non downtown areas such as Midtown, the Gulch and elsewhere.

Both are great cities and are making an impact on America in big ways.

Absolutely, both are great. Charlotte is all business. Whereas Nashville has the same fell, for me, as LA. Possibly because of the celebrity attached to it.

But part of what I am getting at is that Nashville's skyline is transforming more radically. Charlotte has as many highrises u/c or proposed. But Nashville's are taller relative to the existing skyline.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 4:57 AM
Burming Hammer

Nashville is turning heads for sure. Other than a 1 year stay as a co-op student back in '99, I have no real connection to the city. But I follow this thread constantly. Partly in awe, partly out of jealousy... same with the Austin thread haha.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Just to chime in, I'm from Charlotte. And my impression is that Nashville has a "buzz" that Charlotte lacks

I agree.

The reason why Nashville has a buzz is because people think it looks good. People say it all of the time. They love the way the convention center, the arena, the amphitheatre, the river bridges, the newer and older towers/highrises look and how eclectic they are. That's the reason for the buzz. The place is definitely not bland looking.

Last edited by cecilism; Jan 16, 2017 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilism View Post
I agree.

The reason why Nashville has a buzz is because people think it looks good. People say it all of the time. They love the way the convention center, the arena, the amphitheatre, the river bridges, the newer and older towers/highrises look and how eclectic they are. That's the reason for the buzz. The place is definitely not bland looking.
MCC is like a thing from another world.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 2:24 AM

Mainland Cos. hopes to break ground this year on a 30-story office tower on 1.3 acres on 7th at KVB and the roundabout

Developer reveals plans for SoBro skyscraper — and a financial backer

30-story office tower planned near SoBro roundabout

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 7:04 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_TN View Post
Mainland Cos. hopes to break ground this year on a 30-story office tower on 1.3 acres on 7th at KVB and the roundabout
As a reference regarding location....NOT AN OFFICIAL RENDERING!!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 11:50 PM
Future God

I would certainly hope that isn't an official rendering! haha

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 11:54 PM
Show me the blueprints

That transparent glass looks amazing!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 1:57 PM

I just hope the design isn't another box without any architectural elements to distinguish it from other buildings. I truly hope that we see something uniquely different for Nashville. Please Mainland Cos. Please give us something different.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 3:11 PM

Trump hopes to open 17 new hotels under Scion brand

Quote:
LOS ANGELES — Trump Hotels has signed 17 letters of intent with potential owners for its new Scion hotel brand, the Trump Organization’s first line of hotels that don’t bear the president’s name, the company’s chief executive told The Wall Street Journal.

Trump Hotels CEO Eric Danziger made the comments in an interview after a panel at a hotel-industry conference on Tuesday. The deals signed were for projects in cities including Austin, Texas; Cincinnati; Dallas; Nashville, Tenn.; and New York, a spokeswoman said. She declined to name the developers who are interested in branding their hotels with the Scion name.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 8:04 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Hmmm...I can't help but think there is something else he should be focusing on... can't quite think of what that might be though...

-Bob Marley

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations