HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 8:22 AM

UBC Diploma Program in Urban Land Economics

Maybe some of you could be kind enough help out a slightly confused student on his 200th post... How seriously is the namesake of this thread is taken by the development community in Vancouver? Presently I am entering the 2nd year of a BA program at UBC with an intent to specialize in Economics. The diploma would allow me to take all the same specialized courses (but via distance-education) as a BCom in Urban Land Economics, while allowing me to remain in Arts as preferred.

However, if the diploma is not well-regarded and would not help create opportunities in the field of real estate development (in concert with a BA in Economics), I would need to consider directing my efforts elsewhere. Any insights/experiences/advice on the topic would be graciously appreciated.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 10:27 AM

I am not one to speak for the development community in Vancouver, but I do know that if this is the field you wish to pursue, you can also take a Master's in Urban Planning with a specialization in Real Estate Planning. UBC and many other schools across Canada offer this type of program (I am in one myself), and many graduates go on to be successful in commercial and/or residential real estate.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodomReaper View Post
Maybe some of you could be kind enough help out a slightly confused student on his 200th post... How seriously is the namesake of this thread is taken by the development community in Vancouver? Presently I am entering the 2nd year of a BA program at UBC with an intent to specialize in Economics. The diploma would allow me to take all the same specialized courses (but via distance-education) as a BCom in Urban Land Economics, while allowing me to remain in Arts as preferred.

However, if the diploma is not well-regarded and would not help create opportunities in the field of real estate development (in concert with a BA in Economics), I would need to consider directing my efforts elsewhere. Any insights/experiences/advice on the topic would be graciously appreciated.
The program is well regarded in the development community as there are numerous individuals that are in the development community that have helped shape the program. - if you are seeking a roll such as a Development Manager it is highly recommended.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 4:10 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I'd second that it's not a bad desicion, the best way forward is to surround yourself with people in the industry, and that's one way of doing it. At the end of the day it's just as important who you know as what you know.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 6:17 AM

Thank you all for the feedback! It's great to know that the diploma program is credible in the industry.

Your comment jlousa addresses another concern I have, it appears (looking-in from the outside at least) that family connections are unusually important in the development industry. A student internship program would be nice, but from what I can deduce, they're extremely rare or even nonexistent in this field.

idunno, a Master's in Urban Planning is definitely something I'm also considering. Previously I was under the impression that most Urban Planning graduates ended up working for municipalities, but it's good to hear that it can lead to the private sector as well. UBC's program offers an Urban Development specialization, and people have spoken highly about planning at Ryerson as well.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 8:01 PM

If you really want to work for a developer a full business degree is often a must as well.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion