HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 2:42 AM

Working in the Property Development/Management Fields

Hey guys,

I've recently graduated from university, and I've decided to look into careers in Property Development and Property Management. My interest in these fields has developed in no small part due to this forum, which I've happily been a part of for a number of years.

Now I know at least a few people on here work within the industry, so I'll ask you this:

Do you have any advice for someone looking to get into the workforce at the entry level? Are there any developers that should be avoided/sought after in particular?

And anything else you might think of that could be useful. Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 4:08 PM

This seems like a thread better for the "general discussion" subforum, but I'll let the local mods make that call.

As for working in the industry, what degree did you get? If it isn't a business related degree you are likely to have difficulty finding work in development.

My one piece of advice would be to take any role you can get. Real estate is an incredible tough field to break into but once your in most companies are quite good at promoting from within, so get your foot in the door and go from there.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 5:17 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Post moved.

I agree with Leftcoaster, take any job you can at first, don't worry too much about the reputation of who you work for just worry about creating your own. You can always move to a better company later on when you have experience and the experience of working with that company can actually be a plus as it'll show you can deal with less then ideal conditions.
Keep an eye on the UDI site as there are lots of postings there. If you are interested in the property management side you have a wider range of options, don't just look at development companies there are lots of companies that just manage properties and do not develop.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the advice! Definitely provides some insight on the industry that I haven't heard as strongly as other sources. I have a geography major, but I got a business minor, so that helps a bit. I'll check out UDI!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 11:48 PM

Development is also a much different animal than property management. Development gets all the glamour and attention, but from an employment perspective is much more volatile, given the stop/go nature of most smaller development groups.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion