HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 10:54 PM

Looks like Justin might not be the only one worried about Singh:

Federal Green leader Elizabeth May said she wasn’t trying to be snarky when she sent a welcoming tweet to new NDP leader Jagmeet Singh that read more like a scold by a civics teacher.

But when The Tyee asked May to elaborate Wednesday, she fired another shot across Singh’s bow, expressing displeasure that any party leader might not quickly seek a seat in Parliament...

...After her Sunday comments to Singh she was quickly overwhelmed by an onslaught of indignation as people called her petty, snarky and one person accused her of “whitesplaining.”..

https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/10/05/May-Lectures-Singh/

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Looks like Justin might not be the only one worried about Singh:

Federal Green leader Elizabeth May said she wasn’t trying to be snarky when she sent a welcoming tweet to new NDP leader Jagmeet Singh that read more like a scold by a civics teacher.

But when The Tyee asked May to elaborate Wednesday, she fired another shot across Singh’s bow, expressing displeasure that any party leader might not quickly seek a seat in Parliament...

...After her Sunday comments to Singh she was quickly overwhelmed by an onslaught of indignation as people called her petty, snarky and one person accused her of “whitesplaining.”..

https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/10/05/May-Lectures-Singh/
Well, that's ironic considering May was born in and spent much more of her early life in the US before moving to Canada later on, and while Singh did attend high school in the US, he, being Canadian-born and raised likely had a more Canadian upbringing than May.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 3:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

...After her Sunday comments to Singh she was quickly overwhelmed by an onslaught of indignation as people called her petty, snarky and one person accused her of “whitesplaining. ”..[/I]
Which is of course, a totally BULLSHIT allegation against Elizabeth May.

Once again, the self-anointed forces of good succeed in diverting attention away from the people they are criticizing (in this case May - who deserved to be called out for being so pedantic) and instead turn the focus on themselves as knee-jerk idiots who see a skeleton in every closet.

Way to go people.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Way to go people.
Way to go one person.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 5:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
Way to go one person.
Correct, but it's all too common these days.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 3:15 AM

Favorite part about Singh for me is he is actually the only party advocating for a policy regarding banning gasoline cars. Why is it Canada is such a follower in this, when UK and France have already stepped up to the plate?

Canadians who are really concerned about climate change should stop clapping and cheering about Canada signing the Paris agreement (which we again have no plan to follow, just like Kyoto) and get serious about making real sacrifices and BANNING gasoline or gasoline-only transportation in the country.

As an aside, I think a good litmus test for someone who really has an ounce of critical thinking skills regarding climate change in this country is the person who advocates for pipelines as an environmentally friendly way of moving oil, and at the same time advocates for tough policies regarding putting real pressures on us to move away from our oil dependence, including banning gasoline cars.

Widespread adoption of electric cars won't happen unless we get serious about mandating their use, just like much of the innovation around fuel efficiency has been inspired by CARB.

I'll be watching him and his platform closely, and I have a feeling he could erode Trudeau's support, especially considering the latter's series of misstep after misstep lately.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 3:44 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

I would be all for electric vehicles, except batteries used to drain real quick in the winter months in our old hybrid. Have they fixed this quirk with newer all-electrics? When we can comfortably off-road for hours in Muskoka in January, then we'll be ready to talk about becoming an all-electric country.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
I would be all for electric vehicles, except batteries used to drain real quick in the winter months in our old hybrid. Have they fixed this quirk with newer all-electrics? When we can comfortably off-road for hours in Muskoka in January, then we'll be ready to talk about becoming an all-electric country.
And charge time is comparable to filling up the tank of gas with same range.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Legislation will light a fire under companies to figure this out. Progress has been pathetic partially because we've been happy to allow 100+ million ICE cars to be sold in North America compared to only tens of thousands of electric cars.

As an aside, my current car is all electric and I live in a much colder place than you. Mileage does go down in winter, but the battery has enough juice to do anything useful in the city at any time.

I wouldn't suggest Canada ban hybrids, but I think we should require them in all ICE vehicles by law. Cottage trips are safe in that respect. If you need super long distance and can't use a charger, get a hybrid.

These are the sacrifices we should be making, instead of paying lip service to climate change with the Paris agreement and then ignoring all the requirements (just like Kyoto).

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 5:14 AM
Rational urbanist

It's much harder to ban gas-powered cars in Canada where there are many places where 100s of kilometres are driven a day and that do not have the population density to support recharging stations.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 7:49 PM
I am a typical

Also our government is suckling the teat of oil companies a lot more than UK and France.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 8:39 PM

Again, I think we should approach it partially from mandating high mileage requirements, which would necessitate the widespread regulation of hybrid and electric vehicles. If all the vehicles you sell in Canada have to hit 60+ MPG, you aren't going to be selling an ICE-exclusive vehicle. If you need to travel long distance, you will likely still have a hybrid-ICE vehicle.

These are the sacrifices we should be making as a country (instead of vacuous Paris agreements).

Canada itself can still massively profit from oil and gas (and build pipelines). This doesn't really have anything to do with oil and gas companies getting their way - as people from Alberta will repeatedly tell you, Canada is a bit player in terms of world wide oil and gas demand. It doesn't really matter what we do (or how much oil we use).

By most current estimates, even if Canada reduces it's oil consumption to zero overnight, that demand would be absorbed by other countries within two years.

Regardless, the fact remains, Jagmeet is the only federal leader talking about banning ICE cars, so he gets points from me.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 9:08 PM

Why bother with crude nanny state bans and regulations, when we already have the best solution in place - the carbon tax? Treat all carbon emissions equally rather than singling things out, and just keep upping it until it starts to bite. The free market can then sort it out.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
And charge time is comparable to filling up the tank of gas with same range.
Because it's possible to charge an EV overnight at home when you're not using it (a benefit you can't get with a gas car), this isn't really needed. Taking 30 minutes to charge isn't a big deal when you only have to do it a handful of times per year.

I think a lot of people fail to get this. They see 400km range, 30 min recharge time, and in their heads, they imagine that they're going to have to be spending 30 minutes twiddling their thumbs every 400km they drive. That's not how it will work at all, but we need to do a better job explaining that.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Because it's possible to charge an EV overnight at home when you're not using it (a benefit you can't get with a gas car), this isn't really needed. Taking 30 minutes to charge isn't a big deal when you only have to do it a handful of times per year.

I think a lot of people fail to get this. They see 400km range, 30 min recharge time, and in their heads, they imagine that they're going to have to be spending 30 minutes twiddling their thumbs every 400km they drive. That's not how it will work at all, but we need to do a better job explaining that.
No I get it, for city commuting great. Take you're city blinders off. If we want all electric in this country because of how spread out and remote some locations are they will have to have comparable charge times and comparable range. I worked in oil and gas for a few years, sometimes I would have to get on the road and drive 800kms+ because of some emergency job or another, not planned and I would be leaving around 3pm. You're charging overnight so you never have to worry about it does not apply to everybody or every situation. My last position in oil and gas I would commute over 500 kms home every Friday night and back every Sunday afternoon. So yes in my situation I would have had to sit there and twiddle my thumbs adding to my already 5-6 hour drive waiting for the truck to charge.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
No I get it, for city commuting great. Take you're city blinders off. If we want all electric in this country because of how spread out and remote some locations are they will have to have comparable charge times and comparable range. I worked in oil and gas for a few years, sometimes I would have to get on the road and drive 800kms+ because of some emergency job or another, not planned and I would be leaving around 3pm. You're charging overnight so you never have to worry about it does not apply to everybody or every situation. My last position in oil and gas I would commute over 500 kms home every Friday night and back every Sunday afternoon. So yes in my situation I would have had to sit there and twiddle my thumbs adding to my already 5-6 hour drive waiting for the truck to charge.
Folks like you are a pretty tiny minority. There aren't many people who routinely drive hundreds of kilometres a day. The vast majority only do 200kms+ in a single day a handful of times of year, if even that. And when they do... most will take rest stops at least once every few hundred kms, which provides a natural recharging opportunity. 400km range and 30 minute recharge time is enough for at least 80% EV adoption.

That said, the other 20% is a pretty good reason why an outright ban of the ICE might not be workable. With there being very little market demand for anything better, the economics of making, say 1000km range vehicles won't really work out.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 12:06 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

It doesn't have to be one or the other. With the limitations of EV infrastructure, surely a variety of vehicle licenses can be distributed. Commercial and rural vehicles being allowed to use ICE while urban areas restricted to all-electric vehicles. Rural ICE vehicles would have to stop at the periphary of a city and travel via commuter rail. This could probably work in the Windsor-Quebec corridor and the Lower Mainland.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
It doesn't have to be one or the other. With the limitations of EV infrastructure, surely a variety of vehicle licenses can be distributed. Commercial and rural vehicles being allowed to use ICE while urban areas restricted to all-electric vehicles. Rural ICE vehicles would have to stop at the periphary of a city and travel via commuter rail. This could probably work in the Windsor-Quebec corridor and the Lower Mainland.
That sounds great in fantasy land. Commuter rail or buses won't work for a lot of people who require to be able to both drive downtown and also drive long distances at a time. Commercial buildings require constant maintenance, those performing said maintenance just simply can't ride the train or bus to get around with everything they need. What about those who need to come into the city for groceries?

I wouldn't be opposed to having my work current work vehicle being electric as I am generally home every night now, so charging wouldn't be an issue and actually having power(hopefully) would be nice. GM full size vans with 4.3L V6 are garbage in a work van. My boss would like this too as he wouldn't have to pay for gas anymore, but I would hope for a raise to pay for the extra cost of charging my van.

Last edited by Rollerstud98; Oct 19, 2017 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 6:12 AM

Ban gasoline cars? What kind of bullshit is that? When I come visit I want my gasoline or diesel truck, the toys I load up on it and I want go up the forestry roads and have fun. It is literally the only thing Canada offers.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 1:05 PM

With his apparently squishy position on Quebec secession, and now a stout opposition to face covering legislation, I find myself wondering whether Mr. Singh's suburban Toronto views on matters Quebec might not put a crimp in his plan to "run for Prime Minister"?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada