HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 4:37 PM
America's Mars Rocket

This site is targeted for redevlopment of some kind.
State agents found potentially hazardous fuel byproducts near public housing downtown, launching a cleanup that could take a year and cost up to $5 million.

The Alabama Department of Environmental Management this month found the contaminants in the soil around seven buildings at Searcy Homes, which sits near the old railroad depot.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 4:57 PM
Cat Enthusiast

This is great news for the city. I'm sure Huntsville will take good care of it. I'd hope that they could put something really neat in it, instead of just office space.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Oct 21, 2009, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
Will this building be opened to the public as a display of plans for the downtown revitalization?

I personally would like to see them turn the bank into a City Of Huntsville museum. I think it would be a big draw for locals and bring in revenue.

I also have requested to Battle to add a man-made waterfall to replace the cheap looking water spout by the large rock wall below the bank.
I think a city museum is a great idea. I come from a town of 7,000 in SC and we had a city museum and archives.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 1:58 AM

DOT Vehicles?

Anyone know what all the DOT vehicles have been doing at the I-565 Rideout Road Interchange? There were close to 8 vehicles there over the last couple of days.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 12:21 PM

Probably laying down road tubes. I've run over them on the ramps at the 565/Parkway interchange.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFresnel View Post
Anyone know what all the DOT vehicles have been doing at the I-565 Rideout Road Interchange? There were close to 8 vehicles there over the last couple of days.
Hopefully trying to figure out how to fix the ramp from south bound Rideout to I-565 west and the Madison Pike exit ramp.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 4:30 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewdog1 View Post
Hopefully trying to figure out how to fix the ramp from south bound Rideout to I-565 west and the Madison Pike exit ramp.
OMG that would be amazing! I'm just waiting for the perfect breeze to come along and blow a high profile vehicle over when it's making that turn.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabadrock View Post
OMG that would be amazing! I'm just waiting for the perfect breeze to come along and blow a high profile vehicle over when it's making that turn.
That section of interstate needs braided ramps, something I've never seen ALDOT do anywhere in the state, not even in Birmingham.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 12:49 AM

I googled "braided ramp" and got some photos from Texas, and they look pretty ugly.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
I googled "braided ramp" and got some photos from Texas, and they look pretty ugly.
They look ugly in Texas because the freeways there don't have trees to spruce up the view and they connect to feeder roads, but they do work. Atlanta has much better examples of nicely done braided ramps near major interchanges. Spaghetti Junction uses braided ramps to tie into adjacent exits on 3 sides of the interchange.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 3:10 PM
America's Mars Rocket

What is ugly are the nearly complete South Parkway overpasses. I would like to know if there is a reason they used the 10 billion stacked stones versus the more pleasing interlocking concrete panels. Maybe the curves required it but it seems they could have a design that would tie in with the surroundings.
The stacked stone look like a Home Depot landscape job gone bad.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2009, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
What is ugly are the nearly complete South Parkway overpasses. I would like to know if there is a reason they used the 10 billion stacked stones versus the more pleasing interlocking concrete panels. Maybe the curves required it but it seems they could have a design that would tie in with the surroundings.
The stacked stone look like a Home Depot landscape job gone bad.
I have to wonder if there's actually any mortar between those stones. It looks like they're just stacked on top of one another ready for a tornado to throw them around like confetti.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 1:38 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
I have to wonder if there's actually any mortar between those stones. It looks like they're just stacked on top of one another ready for a tornado to throw them around like confetti.
Do y'all mean that they're just like the cinder blocks used on the newer wal mart buildings? If you could provide a picture of something that looks similar, it would be much appreciated

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 2:16 AM

I was in downtown today and they have begun construction on the Arts Museum expansion. They've got up a big green fence around the side driveway area structing all the way to the front side to keep pedestrians out of danger. This is good news as it's a sign that the economy is starting to pick up again.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 3:39 PM

Quote:
I was in downtown today and they have begun construction on the Arts Museum expansion. They've got up a big green fence around the side driveway area structing all the way to the front side to keep pedestrians out of danger. This is good news as it's a sign that the economy is starting to pick up again.
Do you REALLY believe that?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkcooper View Post
Do you REALLY believe that?
Be more specific.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 3:37 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Be more specific.
I think he means that you can't possibly believe that a publicly funded (or funded by donations from years ago) construction project could possibly be a sign of the recession lifting. I could be wrong, I apologize if I'm putting words in your mouth gkcooper.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 5:13 AM

My point was that projects like this were stalled for a while because of the recession. So yes, it is a sign of things looking up. I hear that we could see groundbreaking as in construction on phase one of the Constellation project very shortly. The renovations to the VBC/Propst Arena are said to begin soon as well.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 5:43 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
My point was that projects like this were stalled for a while because of the recession. So yes, it is a sign of things looking up. I hear that we could see groundbreaking as in construction on phase one of the Constellation project very shortly. The renovations to the VBC/Propst Arena are said to begin soon as well.
What part of the recession was holding up the art museum? Honestly, I sincerely wanna know. There might be some detail that I'm just oblivious to.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 2:45 PM

The contribution to the museum was delayed while the city determined how bad their budget shortfall was going to be. The VBC update was rebid because it came in a few million higher than expected.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast