HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 3:57 PM
BANNED

Indeed a great find, thanks for sharing Brent. Hopefully we can get back to those times!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 4:18 PM
Starring as himself

The Royal Bank Building has just opened, ushering in the modern era of big buildings and small crowds on Portage Avenue. Ten years later the street was looking tattier. The middle-class shoppers were still there, but less and less often, leaving poorer people and the die-hard old ladies who would never give up on Eaton's. Twenty years later the stores that were left were just going through the motions. Thirty years later, it was almost all gone.

Interestingly the upper floors of the Affleck Block are still there (above O Calcutta). They were lost to fire not long afterward, as was the St. Boniface Basilica just two years later.

Eaton's is decked out in union jacks and England flags. Can anyone guess why? Hint: it's the summer of 1966.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 9:58 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
The Royal Bank Building has just opened, ushering in the modern era of big buildings and small crowds on Portage Avenue. Ten years later the street was looking tattier. The middle-class shoppers were still there, but less and less often, leaving poorer people and the die-hard old ladies who would never give up on Eaton's. Twenty years later the stores that were left were just going through the motions. Thirty years later, it was almost all gone.

Interestingly the upper floors of the Affleck Block are still there (above O Calcutta). They were lost to fire not long afterward, as was the St. Boniface Basilica just two years later.

Eaton's is decked out in union jacks and England flags. Can anyone guess why? Hint: it's the summer of 1966.
Rolling Stones, Beatles, the Kinks?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Rolling Stones, Beatles, the Kinks?
My guess would be England's first and only World Cup victory (which was won on home soil that summer)...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 12:39 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Looking back, it's neat to think that Winnipeg was about to go through its biggest transformation. The Art Gallery, Airport, Convention Centre, U of W Centennial Hall, Centennial Library, Manitoba Museum of Man and Nature, City Hall, PSB, Centennial Concert Hall, Manitoba Theatre Centre, Richardson Building, Winnipeg Inn (NE: Westin, Lombard), countless apartment towers, etc would all be built in the next 5 years from the date of this film..

If anything, this clip represents a snapshot of the dying days of the old pedestrian friendly Winnipeg and the beginning of the modern era.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Feb 12, 2012 at 1:07 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 12:51 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

In Vike's video, the street is filled with people..

All of my life, (and i'm 30 years old), downtown Winnipeg has been abandoned, boarded up, and crime ridden..

People of my generation (generation Y [1980 - 2001]), have only known a decayed and downtrodden Winnipeg; Biff's alternate 1984 to use a Back to the Future reference.

My parents, and 85 year old grandfather talk about a time when men would wear a hat and dress up like 'Elliot Ness' (to use my grandfather's terms), to hop a streetcar, and go for dinner at the Shanghai, or shop on Selkirk Ave.

It's interesting to think of a different time, and imagine about what could be.

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Feb 12, 2012 at 1:06 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 4:23 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
My guess would be England's first and only World Cup victory (which was won on home soil that summer)...
I would think so, yes.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 5:36 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
In Vike's video, the street is filled with people..

All of my life, (and i'm 30 years old), downtown Winnipeg has been abandoned, boarded up, and crime ridden..

People of my generation (generation Y [1980 - 2001]), have only known a decayed and downtrodden Winnipeg; Biff's alternate 1984 to use a Back to the Future reference.

My parents, and 85 year old grandfather talk about a time when men would wear a hat and dress up like 'Elliot Ness' (to use my grandfather's terms), to hop a streetcar, and go for dinner at the Shanghai, or shop on Selkirk Ave.

It's interesting to think of a different time, and imagine about what could be.
Totally. I loved hearing my mom tell me stories about downtown in the early 60s. She worked for Gaults (now Artspace), would have lunch at the counter in Eatons, just had a great time walking around downtown and shopping back then. All I have ever known was the declining years.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 4:51 PM

Hopefully Winnipeg can get back to that...they say if something declines, you either have to work twice as hard or wait twice as long till it comes back to its original state...

so it will be a while yet. We've started seeing the seeds for that in the 2000's, but we have a long ways yet.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 6:10 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger@Heart View Post
Totally. I loved hearing my mom tell me stories about downtown in the early 60s. She worked for Gaults (now Artspace), would have lunch at the counter in Eatons, just had a great time walking around downtown and shopping back then. All I have ever known was the declining years.
Lived in Downtown a bit 1999-2000. Definitely know what its like for sure

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 6:34 PM

let me be so bold as to offer out my opinion.

In the film that you saw, how many people did you see that weren't dressed up? Did you see any people that were dressed in tight leather, pants falling down from their waist and showing their butt crack? How many people had huge blaring tattoos discoloring their arms and faces, with ugly greasy hair hanging from their head? How many people were wearing their pajamas, or huge overstuffed jackets with their guts hanging out? How many fat people did you see.

Even the old blond had a stylish 'do' for the day and was dressed up to suit the occasion. Men, may have worn white belts but at least they held up their pants. I can still remember a girl with 38's in a mohair sweater that stopped traffic at Portage and Arlington for five minutes as she 'bounced' across the street, and that was in 1962. On the other hand, I still have nightmares about people that I seen at Costco or Wal-Mart, bumping their cart along with their guts because their arms are too short, or you could put a twelve pack on the caboose they call an ass. Have you really looked at your server lately in your favorite restaurant? Long greasy hair, more hardware hanging from their body then I have in my toolbox, having to ask for condiments missing from the table, dropping a spoon and having them pick it up and put it back on the table (5 second rule, I guess), interrupting your conversation with your guest to ask, "How's it, guys"?, or can I grab you something? Where the hell did you learn English? The lady that I'm with is NOT a guy! And you want me to leave you a tip for WHAT REASON? Because you stuck your thumb in my plate as you carried the dish to my table and I saw you wipe your nose with the same hand a minute later.

Okay, I'm done and finished my rant.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 11:56 PM
BANNED

Society has changed to say the least, with clothing choices dubious. I wish we were living in a society akin to those lost years where people dressed with taste.

If we really want downtown to thrive, the so-called retail plan developed a few years ago to attract retailers downtown, which has not yielded dick, needs to be a focus. Continuing to create the conditions for developers to make a profit (TIF) is paramount, too.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 4:38 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger@Heart View Post
Society has changed to say the least, with clothing choices dubious. I wish we were living in a society akin to those lost years where people dressed with taste.

If we really want downtown to thrive, the so-called retail plan developed a few years ago to attract retailers downtown, which has not yielded dick, needs to be a focus. Continuing to create the conditions for developers to make a profit (TIF) is paramount, too.

Exactly how is shaving of HALF OF YOUR HEAD taste? Same with girls these days

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 6:00 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I don't like it either, but it's their choice.

Not a big fan of Skrillex, but some of his songs are alright. He just needs to cut that hair!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 6:39 AM

Looking at that vid Amerand posted, it looks like that tallest historic building did n't need to be torn down. Maybe they should've left it until phase 2 was a for sure thing. It was definitely a beaut. Too bad. That would have made the corner even the more dense.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 7:25 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Looking at that vid Amerand posted, it looks like that tallest historic building did n't need to be torn down. Maybe they should've left it until phase 2 was a for sure thing. It was definitely a beaut. Too bad. That would have made the corner even the more dense.
You mean for TD Centre?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
You mean for TD Centre?
That was a beautiful corner, the building just curved around from Main right into Notre Dame. The old Grand theatre was the only place without purpose.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
In Vike's video, the street is filled with people...
Odd. I post it and no one notices but if it's a TV post, everyone listens.
I even included another one with some interesting shots of old Polo Park.
Too bad they focused so much on all the flowers though.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubberMiley View Post
With regard to the old Polo Park, are you talking the race track or the shopping center? O L D has a different meaning to different people.

I'd like to see a picture of the old Polo Park Race Track and the old Whittier Park Track in North St. Boniface, if anyone has some.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 8:45 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubberMiley View Post
Hey now! I watched the Polo video. It's deff interesting

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan