HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 12:12 AM
ARTchitecture

I just wish there would be some damn movement on this thing
It's so pretty!

http://www.riverlanding.ca/project_u...age/index.html

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 2:52 PM

It looks like they're using Parcel Y as a staging area for the RAGS construction. Because of this and the lack of any news about RLV, I have accepted that it's never going to be built. Time to move on.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 3:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm310 View Post
It looks like they're using Parcel Y as a staging area for the RAGS construction. Because of this and the lack of any news about RLV, I have accepted that it's never going to be built. Time to move on.
How long does Nasser get to hold on to and speculate with that important piece of property? You would have thought the city of Saskatoon would have put some restrictions on the land ie. deadline to build before he decided a parking lot or staging area was it's best use.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
How long does Nasser get to hold on to and speculate with that important piece of property? You would have thought the city of Saskatoon would have put some restrictions on the land ie. deadline to build before he decided a parking lot or staging area was it's best use.
According to this guy, forever if he does not start construction. Once started he has 18 mos. to get to grade. Odd agreement...

http://www.seanshaw.ca/?p=1008

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 4:56 PM

Interesting there have been some posts on this thread the last few days as myself and a group of friends were discussing this very topic earlier this week....unfortunately, the consensus was that as much as Nasser had very good intentions, the feeling is this version will also fall through. Rumour has it that Nasser has been trying to get prospective contractors to cut back, which means cutting corners, which means if this should go ahead, it will likely NOT be the show piece everyone is hoping for....

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 5:46 PM
ARTchitecture

That news is devastating.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 5:50 PM

Just think that if the north downtown development gets going, this area will lose its cachet and there will be even less interest in getting anything built. Might as well accept that we bulldozed the Gathercole building to get an Impark lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Interesting there have been some posts on this thread the last few days as myself and a group of friends were discussing this very topic earlier this week....unfortunately, the consensus was that as much as Nasser had very good intentions, the feeling is this version will also fall through. Rumour has it that Nasser has been trying to get prospective contractors to cut back, which means cutting corners, which means if this should go ahead, it will likely NOT be the show piece everyone is hoping for....

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
That news is devastating.
I am not throwing in the towel quite yet...not sure just how 'reliable' the source is...just 'talk' for now....I still am hoping that Nasser will prove all of us skeptics totally wrong! A few tidbits of information indicating things ARE progressing would be most helpful

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 12:35 AM

Any other major office tower proposals besides this one?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 6:11 PM

An excerpt from an article on the retirement of Downtown Business Development director that relates directly to RiverLanding Village:

"A big part of the plan is to get more and more people living and working in the core, but some large pieces are still missing.

Shovels haven't hit the ground at River Landing's Parcel Y, leaving Saskatoon's most famous piece of real estate standing empty.

The landmark $250-million hotel-condo-office project is a joint effort between Victory Majors Investments Corp. and Cavalier Enterprises. Planning has been slower than expected, and the company is still working with potential tenants and looking at project specifics. A detailed final plan needs approval from the city before construction begins, and is likely to be submitted in spring 2014."

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...670/story.html

Holy crap....the detailed plans will not be submitted until NEXT spring??? IF construction ever were to happen, that might mean it would not be until 2015....I am not sure I am going to live long enough to ever see this happen!!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 3:08 PM

It is very disappointing the city of Saskatoon never gave lake Placid more time. It was Lake Placid’s vision and idea. Lake Placid is actually building an incredible building downtown Calgary now and they are pouring concrete on the fourth floor. ( www.liveonthepark.com).
Nasser has been a huge disappointment.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 3:43 PM

Lake Placid was secretive and made all kinds of promises publicly but never delivered anything. You can only cry wolf so many times before people just stop believing. I have no regrets about them getting kicked to the curb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC View Post
It is very disappointing the city of Saskatoon never gave lake Placid more time. It was Lake Placid’s vision and idea. Lake Placid is actually building an incredible building downtown Calgary now and they are pouring concrete on the fourth floor. ( www.liveonthepark.com).

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 8:12 PM
Khan

Quote:
Calling "Live on the Park" an "incredible building" seems like a massive overstatement.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 3:39 AM
Regina SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Calling "Live on the Park" an "incredible building" seems like a massive overstatement.
Haha, agreed.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Lake Placid is actually building an incredible building downtown Calgary now and they are pouring concrete on the fourth floor. ( www.liveonthepark.com).
This is the same project that Lake Placid initiated in 2007 as Centuria on the Park. As you may know, it sat as a hole in the ground for quite a while and was blamed for sinkholes and damges to an adjacent building. The City of Calgary ended up issuing multiples notices ordering them to fill in the hole. I believe that instead of filling the hole, some construction took place to stabilizing things and that work is now the foundation for the current iteration of the building.

Good to see that they are finally getting something done there, but that does not change my opinion that having Lake Placid no longer involved in River Landing is a good thing for all concerned. While the Nasser group have not accomplished anything on site to date, neither have they repeatedly made grandiose promises that went unfulfilled.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 10:56 AM
^^^^^

RiverLanding Village

Mayor concerned about megaproject delays
Developer won't give firm date
By Charles Hamilton, The Starphoenix
July 25, 2013 4:04 AM

Mayor Don Atchison says he wishes Saskatoon's most anticipated - and delayed - riverside megaproject had a shovel in the ground now, a year after council approved the design.

"I was hoping they would be well on their way by now," [...]

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...823/story.html

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
Mayor concerned about megaproject delays
Developer won't give firm date
By Charles Hamilton, The Starphoenix
July 25, 2013 4:04 AM

Read more: http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...823/story.html
Quoted from the article:

Quote:
John Nasser, president of Victory Majors, said he understands the mayor's concerns, but wants to assure the public he's not giving up on the current plans for the project.

"Quite frankly, we are not shying away from the development. We are still planning on going ahead," Nasser said. "I can understand his frustrations and the public's frustrations, but we want to make sure it's done right and done properly."

Nasser dismissed the mayor's suggestion that the tower be 34 floors instead of 27, and the suggestion that another building be added.

While city council approved the project last July, it did not put any deadlines on when construction would have to begin. Nasser said the project is still in the planning phase and it's too early to say when shovels will hit the ground.

"I would love to commit to a firm date, but until I know one, I'm not going to," Nasser said.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 3:41 PM

As an aside, WTF was the Mayor thinking when he suggested that a fourth building be added to the project, and the height be boosted? That would just set off another round of approvals, and more delay for project planning, design, and financing. We haven't seen a single shovel in the ground yet, and he wants the project to be enlarged?

Honestly, the things that come out of his mouth...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
As an aside, WTF was the Mayor thinking when he suggested that a fourth building be added to the project, and the height be boosted? That would just set off another round of approvals, and more delay for project planning, design, and financing. We haven't seen a single shovel in the ground yet, and he wants the project to be enlarged?

Honestly, the things that come out of his mouth...
If they're have troubles making a go of the project as it is, adding more height and more buildings is just silly.

Capital Pointe in Regina did the same thing. What was originally an 18 story condo and 8 story hotel turned into a 27 story condo and 11 story hotel, which after 3 years still hasn't started.

I admire the entrepreneurial spirit and the desire to build big, but I'd rather get the project done than get plans approved for a better project that isn't feasible.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
If they're have troubles making a go of the project as it is, adding more height and more buildings is just silly.

Capital Pointe in Regina did the same thing. What was originally an 18 story condo and 8 story hotel turned into a 27 story condo and 11 story hotel, which after 3 years still hasn't started.

I admire the entrepreneurial spirit and the desire to build big, but I'd rather get the project done than get plans approved for a better project that isn't feasible.
Haha, a moronic statement by the mayor. Clearly the project has not progressed as the demand to fill the existing proposal has not met the minimum level to proceed. So increase the capacity and expect that to help?? WTF!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan