HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 9:52 PM

I don't really go to the stand alone Arby's on Regent. But will stop in at the KP location when at the mall sometimes. The girlfriend likes the horsey sauce haha.

So an abundance of Arby's and Tim Hortons on Regent, but no Wendy's! There's a competition between the three regent Tim's every year on service or something. One on each side of regent and another in the mall. All within a block of eachother and all super busy all the time.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2015, 11:21 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I don't really go to the stand alone Arby's on Regent. But will stop in at the KP location when at the mall sometimes. The girlfriend likes the horsey sauce haha.

So an abundance of Arby's and Tim Hortons on Regent, but no Wendy's! There's a competition between the three regent Tim's every year on service or something. One on each side of regent and another in the mall. All within a block of eachother and all super busy all the time.
That seems a bit crazy... 3 Tim Horton's, a Second Cup and 2 Starbucks all in that area. Where is the 3rd Tim's? I can only think of the one in the mall and the one by Montana's.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 12:22 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

theres a tims by the brick

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
That seems a bit crazy... 3 Tim Horton's, a Second Cup and 2 Starbucks all in that area. Where is the 3rd Tim's? I can only think of the one in the mall and the one by Montana's.
There's one a bit further east by the brick. There was also another one a short distance from there that relocated to plesis

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 3:06 AM

Interestingly enough the one in the Regent Walmart lot was a money looser and subject to a court case where the franchisee alleged that Tim Hortons did not provide proper financial information when they bought the franchise. They lost the lawsuit and had to pay Tim Hortons.

One book that I have here at home about Tim Hortons says that there is one unidentified Tim Hortons store in Winnipeg has been owned 18 different times.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Interestingly enough the one in the Regent Walmart lot was a money looser and subject to a court case where the franchisee alleged that Tim Hortons did not provide proper financial information when they bought the franchise. They lost the lawsuit and had to pay Tim Hortons.

One book that I have here at home about Tim Hortons says that there is one unidentified Tim Hortons store in Winnipeg has been owned 18 different times.
What's the name of the book?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 3:53 PM

The talk of closed Arby's locations reminds me there is a boarded up location in the CityPlace food court on the small wall as McDonalds closer to the escalators. With all the pre-game traffic that flows through there on Jets game nights and how busy that food court is at lunch it is a little surprising no one has moved in there or taken over the old MMMuffins location. That MMMuffins closed in the first place was a bit of a shock as it seemed sufficiently busy.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 3:57 PM

Quote:

Interesting. I go by there regularly in the mornings and its usually quite busy.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 4:10 PM

I frequent the Regent Arby's even though I live in St Norbert. They used to have one on Pembina at what is now the new 7/11 I believe. They have pretty good mozza sticks for a fast food joint (way better than the crap at BK).

It never seems busy though but the service is very quick and food is great.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 4:10 PM

Quote:

Wow, 18 times! That's crazy. I can't imagine which one it would be given that they all seem incredibly busy and profitable.

Speaking of Tim's, I note that the new location on Isabel near William is up and running. It's noteworthy if only because you don't often see new standalone fast food locations in the inner city.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 5:17 PM

I'm just waiting to see a Tims/Burger King combo restaurant open up lol

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
I'm just waiting to see a Tims/Burger King combo restaurant open up lol
What does that do to the Tims/Wendy's combos that already exist?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2015, 7:59 PM

I'm all over this post with edits...BK/Tims/Wendys combo?!

Two longtime Tim Hortons executives step down abruptly after Burger King takeover
http://business.financialpost.com/20...king-takeover/

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
What's the name of the book?
Double double : how Tim Horton's became a Canadian way of life, one cup at a time

Author is Douglas Hunter

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Interesting. I go by there regularly in the mornings and its usually quite busy.
There are ways to loose money. Have too much staff on, make too much coffee and pour it down the drain, make too much food and throw it out, etc.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The talk of closed Arby's locations reminds me there is a boarded up location in the CityPlace food court on the small wall as McDonalds closer to the escalators. With all the pre-game traffic that flows through there on Jets game nights and how busy that food court is at lunch it is a little surprising no one has moved in there or taken over the old MMMuffins location. That MMMuffins closed in the first place was a bit of a shock as it seemed sufficiently busy.
They were the reason that the Robins never opened in food court and McDonalds is the reason the A&W is on the main floor. At the corporate level their leases let them have the right to approve other tenants in the food court.

MMMuffins use to do a lot of the meeting coffee and snacks at City Place and when CN moved out that dropped and then they had to compete with Robins for the remaining MPI business which due to budget cuts got smaller.

That boarded up area next to McDonalds was the home to Arby's but they were in there first when the old Eaton Place opened up and McDonalds came in later.

I have no idea what McDonalds would allow in that is not considered a threat to them. I don't think it would be any national chain.

I think the last time that space was used was when they use to have Folklarama at City Place years ago and that was the food prep area.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 2:41 AM
BANNED

Had dinner at Viva restaurant on Sargent after some of the guys on HFBoards were raving about the place and with good reviews on urbanspoon, food was pretty good not great, service was good not bad as some had complained about. Overall a good experience.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 2:53 AM

^ Listen to Riverman and go to Vi-Ann instead!

Seriously though, I like Viva. It's OK but I do find it a bit odd that it is consistently busy while other Vietnamese joints of extremely similar quality have plenty of empty tables.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Listen to Riverman and go to Vi-Ann instead!

Seriously though, I like Viva. It's OK but I do find it a bit odd that it is consistently busy while other Vietnamese joints of extremely similar quality have plenty of empty tables.
Never understood the hype around Viva. It has a loyal following for sure but I've never been very impressed. In that area, Vi-Ann, the Vietnam, Phuong Nam are much better in my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2015, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
I frequent the Regent Arby's even though I live in St Norbert. They used to have one on Pembina at what is now the new 7/11 I believe. They have pretty good mozza sticks for a fast food joint (way better than the crap at BK).

It never seems busy though but the service is very quick and food is great.
It was actually a KFC/Taco Bell. It's funny, those two buildings started as KFC and Taco Bell, then Taco Bell moved into the KFC for a joint operation and Subway took the vacant space. Now they've closed both all together and 7/11 is in the original KFC.

I think it's interesting that lots of these fast-food places are closing up, and the new ones coming from USA aren't doing well or are closing already.... it shows that market is starting to dry up here.

There's so much room in this market for the fast-health craze that for some odd reason hasn't made it here yet... When Freshii starts opening here soon (creator is a wpger) I think it's going to dominate.

If only I had the money to open a place...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan