Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 11:11 AM

beautiful place, but it's no San Francisco

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 4:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
beautiful place, but it's no San Francisco
Since when was San Diego trying to be SF?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Since when was San Diego trying to be SF?
chill, you have a gorgeous city. someone above mentioned SF so i made a comment and of course it's not "trying to be SF" what ever that means but even if it was trying to be, it couldnt. Happy Thanksgiving and i love San Diego, was just there last year

Old Posted Nov 22, 2012, 7:56 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

That area around the ballpark sure did fill in fast. I was out there about 5 years ago for a week to get to know the city, and there was still a lot vacant then. Anybody have any pictures that show the infilling of that area over time?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 8:22 AM

Perhaps this belongs on another thread, but when I used to go down for long weekends in Tijuana, when I'd cross the border to San Ysidro, many times I thought: Wouldn't it be nice to retire here, once some mid/high-rises get built here, right smack at the border, and I could walk to Revolucion/Zona Norte everyday while retired.

I see they built 3 high rises on the Mexican side, rather close to the border, on a last trip, and is there no demand for crazies, like me, and all the other San Diego residents who trek over there so often, to build some higher density housing on the other side, so we can walk over there everyday?

My Mexican dentist, in Tijuana, has an apartment in San Ysidro, and how many others, live on one side of the border, work on the other, where there might be some demand for this?

Oh, if I were a developer.................................

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoXZ View Post
That is, of course, if you don't consider San Fran as a sunbelt city.
No one that has spent a winter in San Francisco would consider it a Sunbelt city Maybe San Jose...

Nice pictures. I've only been in San Diego for a day (and for a meeting), but it seems "nice" though potentially quite bland. I've never heard anything about a thriving restaurant scene (extremely important) or music/art/culture more generally. Maybe it'll appeal after a few years in gray London... but I'd have to go into the restaurant business on my own.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 9:11 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
No one that has spent a winter in San Francisco would consider it a Sunbelt city Maybe San Jose...

Nice pictures. I've only been in San Diego for a day (and for a meeting), but it seems "nice" though potentially quite bland. I've never heard anything about a thriving restaurant scene (extremely important) or music/art/culture more generally. Maybe it'll appeal after a few years in gray London... but I'd have to go into the restaurant business on my own.
i spent a week there in april...and there are a lot of great restaurants; maybe not a "scene," but there should be. music didn't seem to be there but art seemed like it was burgeoning.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 9:26 PM

Well I'd have to understand your definition of great restaurants. I'm struggling in West London and concerned that I'll have to go east on weekends to get something good, interesting and not ludicrously overpriced. Personally I avoid anything that advertises (TV or print), and the words "fusion" and "pan-Asian" (among others) raise major red flags (while "seasonal", "local" or frequently changing menus are good signs). London is still a few steps behind NYC.

There are only a handful of cities in the country with a plethora of great restauarants - NY, Chicago, San Francisco. In LA you can find them but it's best to have insider's recommendations, because many of the most popular are crap (too much of a scene, mediocre food). And there are smaller cities with interesting mini-scenes (like Charleston, SC).

Anyway, back to the topic...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 9:31 PM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Well I'd have to understand your definition of great restaurants. I'm struggling in West London and concerned that I'll have to go east on weekends to get something good, interesting and not ludicrously overpriced. For starters you can be sure that if they advertise (TV or print), it's not any good And anything fusion or "pan-Asian" is probably crap too.

There are only a handful of cities in the country with a plethora of great restauarants - NY, Chicago, San Francisco. In LA you can find them but it's best to have insider's recommendations, because many of the most popular are crap (too much of a scene, mediocre food). And there are smaller cities with interesting mini-scenes (like Charleston, SC).

Anyway, back to the topic...
i'd say San Diego's comparable to Charleston, maybe a little better if you can filter around the city. and of course West London's overpriced. i was thrilled to get a full heavy meal for two with drinks off of Centre Point for just under $200 a couple of months ago.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
i'd say San Diego's comparable to Charleston, maybe a little better if you can filter around the city. and of course West London's overpriced. i was thrilled to get a full heavy meal for two with drinks off of Centre Point for just under $200 a couple of months ago.

-
Ok, well that's interesting. I was in Charleston in May, and had reservations at Husk and a few other places before booking my flight or hotel (if that's any indication of priorities).

It's not just that West London is overpriced, it's under-quality. I'll gladly spend $200 on a meal for 2 people if it's good.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2012, 10:40 PM

It's sad how little people know about San Diego outside of its downtown. I just came back after a week of being down there with family and the cool neighborhood districts such as University Heights, Hillcrest, Northpark, Ocean Beach, and South Park all are really thriving and are undergoing a renaissance. Next time I'm down there I plan to do a photo tour...it's about time.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 9:14 PM
life is good

Great thread!

It is such a pleasure to take the train down to San Diego and then be right in the thick of the action and all the gorgeous water.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
It's sad how little people know about San Diego outside of its downtown. I just came back after a week of being down there with family and the cool neighborhood districts such as University Heights, Hillcrest, Northpark, Ocean Beach, and South Park all are really thriving and are undergoing a renaissance. Next time I'm down there I plan to do a photo tour...it's about time.
Seems like it doesnt it? I'm going through this thread and reading all the misinformation spread about San Diego and wonder if those posting here have actually spent any time in the city. And when I say that, have spent time outside a drunken night in the Gas Lamp.

The restaurant scene in San Diego is hot right now. San Diego also has a huge craft beer presence.

Btw, to those who are comparing SF to SD: one one is Cal actually ever draws comparisons between these two cities. LA and SF tend to draw the bigger discussion. SD is southern Cal's smaller metro area (and really not that small) but tends to be overshadowed by LA. It's got it's own thing going on.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
Seems like it doesnt it? I'm going through this thread and reading all the misinformation spread about San Diego and wonder if those posting here have actually spent any time in the city. And when I say that, have spent time outside a drunken night in the Gas Lamp.

The restaurant scene in San Diego is hot right now. San Diego also has a huge craft beer presence.

Btw, to those who are comparing SF to SD: one one is Cal actually ever draws comparisons between these two cities. LA and SF tend to draw the bigger discussion. SD is southern Cal's smaller metro area (and really not that small) but tends to be overshadowed by LA. It's got it's own thing going on.
I think San Diego also has a very unique culture and vibe compared to LA and SF. No, it's not a mecca of bohemia or innovative-thinking, nor is it really a place to see your career take off, but it's got a chill, friendly, approachable vibe that nearly everybody I've met enjoys. In other words, there's nothing extreme or abrasive about SD like LA and SF can be. It's a pretty well-rounded city, even when it comes to politics...it's probably the best example of a politically "moderate" city anywhere in the US.

The one thing I'd love to see more of is most dense infill in areas like Hillcrest/University Heights/North Park. I'm really impressed by the amount of that sort of development in Seattle, and I think it'd make a huge a different in SD when it comes to increasing density and walkability.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 5:06 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

the concept of san diego is bizarre to me. la hangs over it like a giant shelf and i forget that california doesn't end at LA.

the portlandia san diego episode was sort of funny.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2015, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
the concept of san diego is bizarre to me. la hangs over it like a giant shelf and i forget that california doesn't end at LA.

the portlandia san diego episode was sort of funny.
LA couldn't feel more far removed from San Diego. They have so little in common in almost every aspect.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 1:49 PM

Quote:

The one thing I'd love to see more of is most dense infill in areas like Hillcrest/University Heights/North Park. I'm really impressed by the amount of that sort of development in Seattle, and I think it'd make a huge a different in SD when it comes to increasing density and walkability.
The Hillcrest NIMBYs need to get out of their own way and allow more dense development there. Unfortunately they come out and fight tooth and nail against anything that takes away parking from the neighborhood.

North Park doesn't have quite the same issue.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 6:21 AM

Quote:
LA couldn't feel more far removed from San Diego. They have so little in common in almost every aspect.
I would not go that far. I mean it's not like the Tale of Two Cities. They share enough in common (Southland culture) but at the same time are distinctly different from one another. As a Californian it's kind of strange to me that it should have to be even noted. But I guess I can understand why some people might think California begins and ends in LA/OC given how big it is and how much attention LA/Hollywood gets. Still, they are like 120 miles apart and have very different histories, economies and growth patterns. San Diego has worked at being sort the antithesis of LA, sometimes it has failed but I'd say since the late 80's it's been far more successful which these photos show. It's awesome how much has come together BUT they still need an iconic structure. A lot of older neighborhoods still have far too many gaps that need infill. And of course the airport still needs to find a new home.

Last edited by ozone; Oct 15, 2015 at 3:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 3:23 PM
BANNED

The airport's location is a huge asset to the city. It's our Logan, or Laguardia. Inner city convenience. Close to DT, convention center hotels and rail and its small and not an absolute mess like LAX, DFW, ATL, ORD etc...

I would like to see TJ/SD airport expansion and continue expansion at Lindbergh Field.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
The airport's location is a huge asset to the city. It's our Logan, or Laguardia. Inner city convenience. Close to DT, convention center hotels and rail and its small and not an absolute mess like LAX, DFW, ATL, ORD etc...

I would like to see TJ/SD airport expansion and continue expansion at Lindbergh Field.
Well, you are only looking at the positive side of the airport location. The negatives in my opinion outweigh the positives. The airport takes up a huge and very choice piece of property. It hinders urban development around it. It sucks living in it's flight path and keeps those neighborhoods from reaching their full potential. Plus it keeps the skyline lower than it needs to be. BTW it's not exactly the same as Logan or LaGuardia since neither of those airports are so close to the core and do not affect the heights of downtown buildings. Yes it's convenient for the tourist industry. And that's probably a major reason it's not been moved. Lets see would I rather have a convenient airport or a taller skyline and cool urban bayside neighborhood?

Last edited by ozone; Oct 15, 2015 at 5:07 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos