HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 10:26 PM

UofC has added some dedicated parking stalls on campus for car2go as of a few weeks ago, reportedly they will be adding more come spring including some at McMahon.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 2:40 AM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Like I said, Calgary has been a raging success. Here's a very rough graph of the daily trips (averaged over a trailing week to avoid unevenness due to weekends) for the North American car2go cities. Calgary, Toronto and Miami all started around the same time; the other markets are well-established. Calgary is now the #2 market in North America, despite having only 150 cars versus 200-300 in the other markets.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 6:00 PM
cow orker

Thanks for the graph. It's boggling to my brain that they have over 1% of the population of Calgary. More than 1 in 100 people are interested in car sharing in Calgary. Wow.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 6:15 PM
The City That Moves

Is it any suprise that Calgary has the second highest parking prices in North America, and also the second highest market for Car2Go (and car sharing)?

I believe that high parking prices has the potential to bring about similar growth rates in cycling as citizens seek out low cost parking options.

From the below article from Vancouver, "From 2008 to 2011, bicycle use increased 26 per cent, bus trips were up by 17 per cent and walking as a mode of transportation was up six per cent.

Car trips rose just four per cent, less than the region’s population increase of six per cent during the same period."

Bike rides, bus trips on the rise in Metro Vancouver
http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/B...892/story.html

Calgary downtown parking rates highest in Canada, second in North America
http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...471/story.html

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 6:35 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I think Calgary is a perfect storm of:
- high parking rates in the innercity (free while using a car2go)
- taxi shortages at certain times
- much of the city being quite car-centric
- possibly lack of late night transit (other than LRT)
In my opinion, the fact that most of the city was built for the car combined with Car2Go's super convenient form has helped make it as successful as it has become. I think there are a lot of people who would like to ditch their car, or leave it at home/work, and Car2Go is making that a real possibility for Calgarians.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 3:29 PM
City of Blinding Lights

I was at Kal-Tire last night getting winter tires put on my SUV. I noticed a coupe of Car2Go Smart cars kicking around. Turns out that Kal Tire has the contract for putting winter tires on the vehicles. The sales guy was also mentioning that there should be another 150 Smarts on the way.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 4:30 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I noticed 6 Car2go's parked on centre street between 6th and 7th aves. They're everywhere. Also as of today I can apparently end my rental right in front of my house instead of 5 blocks away.. woot.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 10:41 PM
Editor

Quote:
I noticed 6 Car2go's parked on centre street between 6th and 7th aves. They're everywhere. Also as of today I can apparently end my rental right in front of my house instead of 5 blocks away.. woot.
I see them all around now. On Tuesday I was downtown and saw no less than 6 just in the time I was down there.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 5:18 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I regularly see blocks downtown where almost half the parked cars are the Car2GOs. Including one person who parked in an amusing fashion - backed up against the curb! Those cars are *almost* small enough to fit, but not quite.

There's definitely a huge number of commuters who are using these to avoid paying $36/day for parking.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 5:57 PM

Yep, I'm seeing them everywhere. Even a few times people down in Woodbine driving them despite being quite a ways outside the home area.

Noticed that UofC added a second stall over by Bio Science for them too this week, and both are full each morning and empty each evening when I've gone by.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 6:18 PM

Its awesome that these are so successful, can't wait till the competition moves in and we also get bike sharing. Calgary continues to surprise me...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 8:30 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Still have yet to see any of these cars, but then again I just saw my first food trucks yesterday.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 10:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Car share is a similarly huge success in cities that have none of these aspects. Car share is a good thing and I celebrate the success of Car2Go as part and parcel of our evolution as a modern, progressive city.
Car share programs can be good for smallish groups of people who some how already know each other. Cars2Go can actually have an impact at a city level. I think the lawsuits are probably not as much an issue also.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 10:36 PM
cow orker

I saw one today at the Forrest Lawn liquor store. Is there rules about where you can take them? IE could I drive to Wamback, Saskatchewan's Wambackfest? Can I take one skiing?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 10:53 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocle View Post
I saw one today at the Forrest Lawn liquor store. Is there rules about where you can take them? IE could I drive to Wamback, Saskatchewan's Wambackfest? Can I take one skiing?
If I recall after 200km you start getting charged 45 cents a km, so, don't go that far Personally I wish that was more like 300km though so you could go to Banff

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
If I recall after 200km you start getting charged 45 cents a km, so, don't go that far Personally I wish that was more like 300km though so you could go to Banff
Yep. The rules state the you can go upto 300km outside the home area, but if you go over 200km in distance travelled then its 45 cents a km.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 11:40 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

The after work downtown doughnut hole

my pic

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 11:31 PM

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...29#post5774329

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JC
The skeptic in me thinks this is mostly an elaborate Smart Fortwo marketing campaign.
What did I get in my e-mail a couple days ago? A survey from Car2Go asking about my car-buying intentions. Among the list of brands included in their survey was Smart, and I did not click it. The follow up question?

"In the last question you did not select Smart vehicles. Can you tell us why you don't intend to purchase a Smart?" LOL, the skeptic in me was at least partially correct. I got 15 free minutes out of it, for what it was worth.

Then again I let 41 free minutes expire, since I had no reason whatsoever to use them. I haven't used a Car2Go since August. I've made two trips in the entire time I've had the membership. I recall that when I signed up the membership would be automatically renewed after a year for $35; I think I'm going to have to call and cancel my membership when the time comes. If I drove downtown in the middle of the day more often it would make more sense but being that the only trips I make downtown are after 6 pm... meh.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 12:41 AM
power to the people!

Well, car2go is a subsidiary of Daimler.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 12:47 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I answered it honestly: I would consider a smart fourtwo as a 2nd car, but not as a primary as I wouldn't want to use one on the highway, or even deerfoot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure