HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 11:32 PM
BANNED

This is the Los Angeles Barris shop where the Batmoble and other movie cars were made.

https://78.media.tumblr.com/

http://www.gearheads4life.com/

Born George Salapatas
November 20, 1925
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
Died November 5, 2015 (aged 89)
Encino, California, U.S.

Known for Hot rod art, automobile customizing and pinstriping
Notable work
Hirohata Merc
Ala Kart
Munster Koach / DRAG-U-LA
Batmobile
Wagon Queen Family Truckster
KITT

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 11:40 PM

Snazzy CBD

rebloggy

Does anyone know:: is this NYC or downtown LOS ANGELES with a matte painting?

(I never thought about it until seeing this gif)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 19, 2018 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 11:44 PM
BANNED

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;8089612] Snazzy CBD

https://78.media.tumblr.com/

ER.....go, go, go

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 12:12 AM

This is from that new noir book.

Is this the way you're suppose to store champagn? If it is...I never knew it.

DAILY MAIL

"A bartender bites the dust in a Hollywood robbery, gone arwy around 1940."

If this is from the lapd archive, why don't they know the exact date?

I ask- because I'd like to dig up some old newspaper articles about it. (without the date it's going to be difficult) no names either

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 18, 2018 at 12:25 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
This is from that new noir book.

I never knew you're suppose to store champagn upside-down. ...........[there's a dead guy too]

"A bartender bites the dust in a Hollywood robbery, gone arwy around 1940."

If this is from the lapd archive, why don't they know the exact date?

I ask; because I'd like to dig up some old newspaper articles about it. (without the date it's going to be difficult) no names either

__
I wonder how he was killed. No sign of wounds, blood, etc. Did he have a heart attack?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 12:26 AM

I noticed that too JMR.

He could have been strangled. His neck tie is messed up.
_____

AFTERTHOUGHT:
I see there's no wedding band -either he was a batchelor or the thieves took his wedding ring.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 18, 2018 at 12:58 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
This is now one of my favorite photographs on the thread. (reminds me of pics taken by WPA photographers. It's just sooooo great
Glad you like it, er! It is a cool photo!

Quote:
Here's good ol' Budge listed in the 1920 city directory.

lapl
And right below him is Hubert, grandpa Charlie’s brother, and the father of Herbert, aka “Bert” (the guy in the striped shirt in the Auto Wheel Cafe photo).

Quote:
There are many more Diltzs listed in the 1938 directory

lapl

Do you recognize any of these additional Diltzs ScottCharles?
__
Wow, SO MANY Diltzes! I’m afraid I don’t recognize any of the other names. I only know of grandpa Charlie and grandma Elva; Charlie’s brother, Hubert; Charlie’s parents, Emma and Budge (which I just learned from this thread!); and my father and his three brothers.

Elva had a sister, Olive, who was one of D.W. Griffith’s personal secretaries - but as she wasn’t married to a Diltz, her surname would be Taylor.

Quote:
thanks again for posting your family photograph. (do you have any more? )
It’s my pleasure!

I’ve got quite a few photos, but none really showing Los Angeles - grandpa Charlie was a movie director, grandma Elva was a Mack Sennett Bathing Beauty, and great-uncle Hubert was a bit player/stuntman… so most all of the photos I have are from movies or on movie sets. I’m not sure if those are appropriate for this thread…

About the closest I have to a public photo is the one below - grandma Elva with my father, Doug, and his younger brother, Jack - what a pair of towheads!

I don’t know the exact year of the photo, but my dad was born in 1922. I’m no good at judging the age of children, but if my dad is five in this photo, that would make the year 1927.

I think the sign in the background says “Crescent Bay Yacht Club”. Has that place appeared anywhere in this thread?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 12:53 AM

re: Nicotiana glauca / Tree Tobacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Sadly, it appears that someone smoked it all at some point, killing both plants and self. R.I.P.
ha ha..too funny odinthor

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 19, 2018 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 1:26 AM
BANNED

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Feb 18, 2018 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 1:38 AM
BANNED

Watch the Batboat 1965 Here>>>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47H-DLk_1QA

http://img.photobucket.com/

At MarineLand.....the dazzling duo.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Feb 18, 2018 at 1:52 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
I was going through some old family photos, and came across the picture below. I figured I might add it here to see if anyone knows anything about the business or its location. I’m new to the forum, so I’m still learning the rules about posting - if my picture doesn’t belong in this thread please let me know!

Scott, I also love the photo. It looks to me like an illustration of the Coliseum peristyle on the border of your photo. Do you know the reason for this? It probably doesn't make any sense but could that be related to the location of the cafe?

Last edited by Bristolian; Feb 19, 2018 at 5:38 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 7:48 AM

The Blue Palm Cafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
When I was looking on the Hollywood photographs site for the Hollywood Legion Stadium photos, I happened to see the following photo and went back to it just now:

It's a 1928 photograph of Hollywood Blvd. at Gower. It's 12 years before the Blue Palm photo. Concerning
the building on the right side of the photo...do you think it might be the same building that the Blue Palm
Cafe is located in?

The same type of palm tree, 12 years smaller, is in the right location. The same kind of phone pole and
streetlight on the corner in the right position. Same kind of boxy windows in the front. What is your opinion?

Looks to be the same building in both pictures. The transom windows have been covered to allow signs in the later picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Thanks for this matchbook photo find Noir Noir. It's the only confirmation we've had so far for the "other" Blue Palm establishment and it gives the address...6066 Hollywood Blvd. (Photo below.)

We know that the photo was taken April 15, 1940, as it's a press photo about a five minute hail storm in Hollywood. (It mentions the previous Saturday the temperature was 96°!)

This area has changed a great deal since then. The 6066 address is near the Florentine Gardens on the opposite side of the street at 5959. That's about the only building on the street near there that is still around that section. (And a pass on the Googlemobile shows it is currently painted pink & white.) This Blue Palm restaurant may have been on the corner of Hollywood and Gower. May have been. Can anyone search an aerial of this location?

What we don't know is if these two Blue Palms are connected in any way, if they were separate establishments or one replaced the other, or how long the 6066 location was around.

Some aerials of the Hollywood Blvd./Gower St. intersection. First in 1941 showing 6066 on the corner and the short hop to 6124.

http://mil.library.ucsb.edu/ap_indexes/FrameFinder/ 1941 - Flight C_7595, Frame 26

By 1962 6066 stands isolated on the corner.

http://mil.library.ucsb.edu/ap_indexes/FrameFinder/ 1962 - Flight C_24400_10-174

By 1971 it's ...

http://mil.library.ucsb.edu/ap_indexes/FrameFinder/ Flight C_2755_21-28

In one of the other pictures in the 1952 set of tallman Max Palmer outside the cafe at 6124, we get a glimpse of 6066 in the background, up at the intersection, between Max and his companion.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...oll44/id/81776

The lack of CD's for the relevant years hinders pinpointing the span of the cafe at each location. It was at 6066 in 1940 but how long before? Sometime between 1940 and 1951 it moved to 6124. It closed at that location between 1956 and 1960.

Last CD reference -

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Jun 27, 2018 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Replacement image host

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 9:48 AM

Quote:

rebloggy

Does anyone know: is this NYC....or downtown LOS ANGELES with a matte painting?

(I never thought about it until seeing this gif)
e_r, this is Manhattan. They are "driving" south on Broadway passing Jack Dempsey's bar (just seen on the left of the gif), which was between W 49th and W 50th streets at 1619 Broadway.

wikipedia.org

Last edited by Lorendoc; Feb 21, 2018 at 5:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 10:34 AM

Auto Wheel Cafe

Quote:
I was going through some old family photos, and came across the picture below. I figured I might add it here to see if anyone knows anything about the business or its location. I’m new to the forum, so I’m still learning the rules about posting - if my picture doesn’t belong in this thread please let me know!

The back of the photo also says “1946”. I’m virtually certain that this is incorrect. Both my father and my uncle Jack served in WWII, and they look like kids in this photo. If I had to guess, I would say the photo is from around 1934-1937. Maybe someone here can recognize the year of the car in the photo?

I know it’s a crazy long-shot, but does the Auto Wheel Cafe ring any bells with anybody here?

-

NOTE: I have edited the post above thanks to information provided by Lorendoc several posts down.
Interpolating between the 1930 and 1940 census info, I'd guess that the photo was taken some time in the late 1930s -poss. 1937 -39? Your uncle looks about 12 -13 in the photo and was recorded as being 15 in the 1940 census. Your Dad looks about 15 in the photo and was recorded as being 17 in the 1940 census.

The car looks like a later 1930s model -too streamlined to be mid 1930s. Don't recognise the make and model -some car buff on the site may know.

Being outside the US, I don't know whether there were any trade directories for the 1930s for Thousand Oaks and nearby settlements. They would be a good starting point (if such things exist).

A branch of my family lived in Thousand Oaks and also Pacific Union/ Glendale, but unfortunately anyone from that era will be long gone.

A great photo -thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
Scott, I also love the photo. It looks to me like an illustration of the Coliseum on the border of your photo. Do you know the reason for this? It probably doesn't make any sense but could that be related to the location of the cafe?
Hi, Bristolian -

I’ve noticed the Coliseum illustration, too. As to its meaning, sadly, I have no idea. I don’t even possess the original of the photo, the above is a scan I made of a photo that was lent to me by my uncle Gary, my dad’s youngest brother. I can’t even say whether the photographic print itself was made in the ‘30s or whether it was printed at a later date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alester young View Post
Interpolating between the 1930 and 1940 census info, I'd guess that the photo was taken some time in the late 1930s -poss. 1937 -39? Your uncle looks about 12 -13 in the photo and was recorded as being 15 in the 1940 census. Your Dad looks about 15 in the photo and was recorded as being 17 in the 1940 census.

The car looks like a later 1930s model -too streamlined to be mid 1930s. Don't recognise the make and model -some car buff on the site may know.

Being outside the US, I don't know whether there were any trade directories for the 1930s for Thousand Oaks and nearby settlements. They would be a good starting point (if such things exist).

A branch of my family lived in Thousand Oaks and also Pacific Union/ Glendale, but unfortunately anyone from that era will be long gone.

A great photo -thanks for sharing.
Glad you like the photo, Alester!

As to my dad and uncle Jack’s ages, they were old enough to serve in World War II. My dad wasn’t drafted, he joined the military right after Pearl Harbor, when he was 18. I do wish the photo had an accurate date on it, there’s no way it was taken in 1946.

As to a possible “trade directory for the 1930s for Thousand Oaks”, does anyone have any suggestions where I might look for such a thing? I am nowhere near the expert sleuth level of so many of the forum members in this thread, and have no idea where to look.

—-

PS: Lester Young is one of my absolute favorite musicians of all time. There were a lot of great Basie sidemen - Buck Clayton, Jo Jones, Harry “Sweets” Edison, Freddie Green, etc - but none greater than Prez.

The many recordings Prez made with Billie Holiday during the 30s and 40s are, for my money anyway, among the greatest sessions ever recorded. Especially when you consider how trite some of the material they were given was, until they worked their magic on it.

The solo that Prez recorded at the 1957 “Sound of Jazz” show on CBS (here on YouTube) is just pure ecstasy. Listen to the way that Prez dances around and plays with the beat. You’re not going to hear a more nuanced and languorous example of playing - and not in some abstract, technical sense, his playing here is pure emotion.

To this day, and no matter how many times I hear it, his solo sends chills down my spine. I know people say that Lester was well into his decline at this point, but to me he blows wonderfully on this tune. Truly, one of the greatest players of all time, in any genre.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 5:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
e-r, this is Manhattan. They are "driving" south on Broadway passing Jack Dempsey's bar (just seen on the left of the gif), which was between W 49th and W 50th streets at 1619 Broadway.

wikipedia.org

rebloggy

The daring duo were filmed in a Hollywood studio with a rear-projection of a Manhattan street film in the background. The Batmobile is actually not moving.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Feb 18, 2018 at 7:58 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Hi, Bristolian -

Glad you like the photo, Alester!

As to my dad and uncle Jack’s ages, they were old enough to serve in World War II. My dad wasn’t drafted, he joined the military right after Pearl Harbor, when he was 18. I do wish the photo had an accurate date on it, there’s no way it was taken in 1946.

PS: Lester Young is one of my absolute favorite musicians of all time. There were a lot of great Basie sidemen - Buck Clayton, Jo Jones, Harry “Sweets” Edison, Freddie Green, etc - but none greater than Prez.

The many recordings Prez made with Billie Holiday during the 30s and 40s are, for my money anyway, among the greatest sessions ever recorded. Especially when you consider how trite some of the material they were given was, until they worked their magic on it.

The solo that Prez recorded at the 1957 “Sound of Jazz” show on CBS (here on YouTube) is just pure ecstasy. Listen to the way that Prez dances around and plays with the beat. You’re not going to hear a more nuanced and languorous example of playing - and not in some abstract, technical sense, his playing here is pure emotion.

To this day, and no matter how many times I hear it, his solo sends chills down my spine. I know people say that Lester was well into his decline at this point, but to me he blows wonderfully on this tune. Truly, one of the greatest players of all time, in any genre.
I was born just before Lester Young died -hence the name, but with the first name varied a bit. I never learned to play tenor sax (but wished that I had). Billie Holiday has always been a firm favorite -over the years I have watched the "Fine and Mellow" clip on You Tube many times. There are also some Art Ford Jazz Party Film clips on You Tube from 1958 featuring Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Pee Wee Russell and a very youthful Harry Sheppard on vibraphone. Good fun!

You were also asking about the Crescent Bay Yacht Club. To the best of my knowledge it was located at Wilshire/ Ocean View in Santa Monica, just to the north of Santa Monica Pier. It must have been next to or near the Santa Monica Athletic Club. There are a lot of photos for the Athletic Club, but a quick search has come up with none for the Crescent Bay Yacht Club. It is probably long gone -a lot of the historic clubs along the front in Santa Monica were demolished in the post war years/ up to the 1960s.

Your 1927 photo is another great image -you are lucky to have had good photographers in your family.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 7:24 PM

You're correct about the location of the Crescent Bay Yacht Club, alester young. Here's part of a post I made in 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Other clubs on Ocean Front in 1928 include American Legion Post 123 at 1351, The Breakers Club at 1725, Club Casa Del Mar at 1811, Club Chateau at 1351, the Rotary Club and Santa Monica Athletic Club (visible to the left of the Deauville Beach Club in the photos above) at 1441, and the Sea Breeze Beach Club at 800. There's also the Crescent Bay Yacht Club at Wilshire and Ocean Front, and the Edgewater Club of Southern California at Pico and Ocean Front.

Santa Monica Public Library

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 8:44 PM

Quote:
I was born just before Lester Young died -hence the name, but with the first name varied a bit. I never learned to play tenor sax (but wished that I had). Billie Holiday has always been a firm favorite -over the years I have watched the “Fine and Mellow” clip on You Tube many times. There are also some Art Ford Jazz Party Film clips on You Tube from 1958 featuring Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Pee Wee Russell and a very youthful Harry Sheppard on vibraphone. Good fun!
Billie is my favorite, just the best. And she’s how I heard of Lester!

Quote:
You were also asking about the Crescent Bay Yacht Club. To the best of my knowledge it was located at Wilshire/ Ocean View in Santa Monica, just to the north of Santa Monica Pier. It must have been next to or near the Santa Monica Athletic Club. There are a lot of photos for the Athletic Club, but a quick search has come up with none for the Crescent Bay Yacht Club. It is probably long gone -a lot of the historic clubs along the front in Santa Monica were demolished in the post war years/ up to the 1960s.
Thank you for the location, at least I know that now!

I wish I could find even one photo of the place. I mean, I can’t have the world’s only photo that proves its existence, can I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

You're correct about the location of the Crescent Bay Yacht Club, alester young. Here's part of a post I made in 2013.
Thank you for linking to your previous post, HossC - while Googling for Crescent Bay Yacht Club, your post was about the only information I found.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 9:00 PM

Holy Bat History Month!

Speaking of Batman and the Batmobile...

Since January 12th, the day Batman premiered in 1966, The Hollywood Museum located in the Max Factor Building has an exhibit titled "Batman '66" and is set to run through March 17th.

13th Dimension

From an L.A. Weekly article:

"Last weekend the line stretched out the door to see the Hollywood Museum's Batman ’66 Retrospective. The first museum exhibit to explore the TV show that defined Batman for
generations is a must-see. It features never-before-seen props, costumes and rare collectibles. Batman '66 is only around for a limited time, with the exhibit set to run through
March 17, so pack your shark repellent, hop in your Batmobile and drive on over to the Hollywood Museum because, as Batman said, 'Better three hours too soon than a minute too late'."

The exhibit, is broken down into four major areas: Wayne Manor, the Batcave, the villains and rare memorabilia.

13th Dimension

Click this link for many more photos, information and other articles: 13th Dimension

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos