HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 9:46 PM
Well designed mixed use

Mark: your sentiments echo what a lot of people have been saying for a long time in private. Everyone likes Ron Paul--everyone--but he's not the guy to get this done.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 7:55 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

Tear down the Lloyd Center and plop down a large public market.

Or better yet, give Opus the boot and let 'em build a couple of metal shed barns like they have in Granville there. Would be a lot cheaper, too - and could probably be finished within a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon
A market shouldn't include the Saturday Market elements as an afterthought, it should be built AROUND the Saturday Market, like every other major market in the country.
Bingo. You need to combine multiple events/activities together like this to make it equally attractive for tourists as well as local shoppers - public markets need as large of a market base as possible in order to survive and prosper.

Quote:
The West End would be a great place.
I think the West End would be a horrible place for a market. Don't you guys know that 85% of Portlanders live on the east side and most loathe to even think about going downtown? Are you trying to give them a valid reason to have to pay for parking?

===

I can't believe I read that article backwards.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 8:35 AM

Best thing ever that could happen for old town would be a public market!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 12:44 AM

On Brian Libby's blog there seems to be movement about making the Greyhound Depot the Market by combining the busses and trains at Union Station. Sounds like a win-win? The Greyhound has got great bones.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
On Brian Libby's blog there seems to be movement about making the Greyhound Depot the Market by combining the busses and trains at Union Station. Sounds like a win-win? The Greyhound has got great bones.
That sounds like a perfect temporary reuse of that building. It would allow the public market to be established and eventually that site could see some higher density development while the public market could find a new home (perhaps as part of the post office site redevelopment?).

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 4:12 AM

The public market should be in the Import Plaza building with the bank next to it torn down and with the parking lots, developed into a market.

The market shouldn't be in OTCT next to the Pearl, being it isn't on a major transit line.

Besides, the INS building is TO beautiful to be a market.

If that damned Custom House sits empty, maybe there?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 4:28 AM

How is OTCT not on a transit line? The Greyhound Depot is right on the new MAX line, the 17 bus goes by on Glisan, and every person that comes off a train or bus gets their first taste of Portland right there.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 4:41 AM

The majority of Portlanders don't ride the Greyhound or Amtrak. (I'm talking about everyday downtown workers here) and that is what a public market needs to thrive. Even the majority of Portland tourists arrive through PDX.

One or two frequent service bus lines also don't sustain a region wide market. The Yellow and (soon to be) Green lines are TriMet's most underutilized light rails lines. I would rather see a market on the Blue and Red lines, especially if the location was only one stop from the other MAX lines.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 5:20 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

^ Yeah, but not everyone is going to be going to the Market everyday... Yellow/Green line would only be 1 or 2 stops from the bridge, and they could transfer at the Rose Garden stop on the eastside, no need to transfer downtown.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
That sounds like a perfect temporary reuse of that building.
why "temporary"?

actually, i agree with mark about the location. right in front of the train station would be very Euro, but it's just too far from the action. the people who will be going to this market live in downtown and the nearby neighborhoods, so to be viable, it will need to be at (or very near to) the major hub for transportation. which is pioneer square. if i'm working in downtown and living in goose hollow, i don't want to detour after work to union station to buy groceries. it's got to be as close as possible to pioneer square. *maybe* a block or two away. hey, how about that empty lot on 4th, just south of yamhill?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 6:18 AM
A before E

actually I think at the depot would be one of the better places for it. With the new MAX line going in, it will be easy access for someone to go from PSU to there and back. It would be close to the Pearl district and a short commute for those in the NW district. Also once the post office moves, there will be a massive new development in housing there. This part of the city will soon become a very dense part of the city, might as well add things to it now that will help stimulate that.

Besides basing this all on location is kind of crazy as it is, the farmers market does great on PSU on saturdays and that is a bit remote for many people, the only thing that really helps it is that it is on campus and has a 405 connection close by for suburbanites.

For the longest time developers have been complaining about lack of development near the train station, at the present moment if these projects happen up there, I think it will be what they need to help jumpstart new development.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 3:34 PM

What about the eastside? This idea was kicked off the table early in the process but there are some wonderful locations close-in and will have rail options with the streetcar. Put it where the people are.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 4:56 PM

Under the I-5 Bridge near OMSI is perfect for the the Market. Its feels exactly like the market in Vancouver BC. There are two existing long glass warehousy buildings that OMSI uses that would be perfect and you can always put up stalls that are protected from the rain by the bridge above. You also have room to expand piecemeal in this area. Any Market should have room to grow. Add in a water taxi system, the best walking bridge in the city, a popular bike path and the new street car and maybe Lightrail lines. Its perfect.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 5:19 PM

There are a lot of options for a public market, but of course it all comes down to $$. I'm hoping that if the blazers do well in the near future maybe paul allen will open his pocketbook and do something with the area around the rose quarter, maybe even a joint project involving the coliseum? One can hope...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 9:36 PM
Closed account

Northeast Foodies: The Hub is Coming
by Christina Melander
The Oregonian

While the city of Portland continues protracted negotiations to establish a year-round public market, developers Jon Kellogg and Thad Fisco are swiftly creating a marketplace for food lovers. In March they will complete the final phase of construction at the intersection of North Williams Avenue and Failing Street.

It is a nice bit of synergy that their project, christened The Hub, occupies the bones of the old Oregon Food Bank storehouse. When the drywall is up and the dust clears, The Hub will comprise 20 units and nearly 30,000 square feet, linking the existing half-block that includes the vegan-centric Nutshell restaurant and Yoga Shala with a second Ristretto Roasters coffee shop and Lincoln, a restaurant helmed by esteemed Portland caterer Jenn Louis.

Kellogg and Fisco, both 42, formed Adaptive Development Co. six years ago, setting out to salvage and reuse faltering buildings in close-in Portland. "We try to buy buildings in neighborhoods we can still afford so we can deliver the spaces at a fair rent," says Kellogg, who makes it a point to lease to local, independent entrepreneurs. The success of Pix and 5th Quadrant -- across the street in one of their rehabbed buildings -- coupled with growing momentum along the North Williams and Vancouver arterials encouraged the developers to take on the massive Hub job.
"It's an underserved neighborhood with no major grocery store," Kellogg says. "We want to create a model of urban, daily needs shopping -- a European-style marketplace that people can walk to."

Adaptive Development, currently in talks with several potential tenants, would like to sign food artisans and retailers such as a pasta maker, cheese shop, charcuterie and bakery, along with wellness-oriented businesses. (In addition to Lincoln and Ristretto, confirmed tenants include a naturopathic veterinary clinic and florist.)

Lincoln, an 80-seat eatery expected to open in summer or fall, should serve as a solid anchor. It is the first restaurant from Jenn Louis and her husband, David Welch, a restaurant-service veteran and freelance journalist. Lincoln will dish up "modern American food" akin to the simple, clean-flavored cooking Louis has honed at her 8-year-old Culinary Artistry catering, which will move over to The Hub.

"I'm not going out to reinvent anything, I just want to cook the kind of food I like to eat," Louis says. "Of course it will be seasonal because there's no other way to do it. We'll braise in the winter and grill in the summer and make great flatbreads and fritters of all sorts."

Louis, 36, and Welch, 34, gravitated to The Hub because of its convenient location and arched barrel roof, which reveals handsome original woodwork. The owners will play up the lodge aesthetic with a fireplace and a name that pays tribute to hardworking rural America and our principled 16th president.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 3:27 AM
Well designed mixed use

This ain't the public market.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 5:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX City-State View Post
This ain't the public market.
I know it's not THE public market, or a publicly owned market but it's concept and design is similar to a public/permanent market. I think it's a great idea and we could use a few of these across the city.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 5:27 PM

I agree. It's a cool concept and I applaud those folks for taking the initiative.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 1:28 AM
Well designed mixed use

I totally agree. This is a great thing.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 4:22 AM

Portand Public Market | Proposed

Public market backers eye site near Morrison Bridge
Portland Business Journal

Supporters of a year-round Public Market have set their sites on a county-owned parking lot near the west end of the Morrison Bridge.

The market, to be named for native son James Beard, would be a year-round indoor facility showcasing Portland food. Backers previously hoped to locate the market in a former U.S. Post Office in Northwest Portland, but lost the 130,000-square-foot building to the Pacific Northwest College of Art.

Now, market supporters are soliciting donations to a capital fund to buy the site near the Morrison Bridge. Supporters say the property near the Willamette River is centrally located for downtown shoppers and workers and is close to the MAX light rail line.

The market and its partner, Melvin Mark Development Co., want to construct a high rise with the market serving as a ground floor arcade.

The property is owned by Multnomah County which earmarked proceeds from its sale to the fund it needs to replace the aging Multnomah County Courthouse. The cost of a new courthouse is estimated at $250 million or more. The county has not committed to selling the valuable site to the Public Market.

Anticipating a competitive sale in early 2009, the market is asking supporters to make year-end contributions to its nonprofit entity, The Historic Portland Public Market Foundation, P.O. Box 511, Portland, OR, 97207.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland