HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
I posted on the Nashville page that it's in the running for a Virgin Atlantic nonstop to London on some posts off of aviation sites. So....Memphis can dream too, right?

Here's a interesting article concerning KC that mentions Memphis as the new planes will allow for smaller but still capable transatlantic flights

There's this snippet:

Until recently, industry analysts would have scoffed at such a notion. But in March, the Austin, Texas, airport, a non-hub airport similar in passenger numbers to KCI, launched a daily British Airways flight to London. Aviation observers nationwide sat up and took notice.

"I do believe that international airlines are looking at second-tier airports as possibilities," said William Swelbar, research engineer with the MIT International Center for Air Transportation. "I would imagine Kansas City, Columbus (Ohio), Austin and those types of markets are attractive, as the larger cities are relatively full."

Denver-based aviation consultant Mike Boyd made the same observation at his 19th annual International Aviation Forecast Summit in Las Vegas last month. Boyd predicted that in the next three to eight years, a new generation of airliners such as the 787 will allow carriers to "invade" major non-hub airports. He specifically cited KCI, along with Cincinnati, Indianapolis, New Orleans and Memphis, Tenn.

Read the rest here
http://www.aviationpros.com/news/116...-international

A quick edit, it's British Airways possible eying Nashville, Memphis is being mentioned as market to feed a Detroit based Virgin Atlantic/Delta nonstop to London.
With the 787/a350 mid sized cities have the ability to support nonstop TATL service where they couldn't before. A decade from now I would expect every mid-sized city to have nonstops to EU. Speaking of the rat race BA is running, the list that Columbus gave out was just of the top of his head, BA is most likely studying many more cities. Memphis has a few good things running for it, 1 international tourism (Especially European), which is almost non existent in these other cities other than Nashville and New Orleans. 2, cargo Any EU carrier would have no problem filling the belly everyday. I wouldn't pin my hopes on BA or VS to Heathrow, we could very well end up with Air France, Lufthansa or even have a reunion with KLM.

Oh look Memphis got it's own fluff article too http://www.localmemphis.com/story/d/...UEqlM96F1aMF8w

Last edited by MEMFLY; Sep 5, 2014 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 1:41 AM

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 2:04 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMFLY View Post
Oh look Memphis got it's own fluff article too http://www.localmemphis.com/story/d/...UEqlM96F1aMF8w
Interesting if anything. While we're kinda on the topic, I'm a bit surprised that Southern Airways Express is expanding again. I didn't particularly think they would have a large enough market, but apparently so. I joked around last summer that they would be done in a year or so.

On a side note, does anyone proof read at Local 24? That's the second article I've read from that site today that's been full of typos.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Interesting if anything. While we're kinda on the topic, I'm a bit surprised that Southern Airways Express is expanding again. I didn't particularly think they would have a large enough market, but apparently so. I joked around last summer that they would be done in a year or so.

On a side note, does anyone proof read at Local 24? That's the second article I've read from that site today that's been full of typos.
I can easily see them expanding into places like Fayetteville that has the old terminal building just setting there or seasonal Branson flights into that little airport that Southwest was at. I think they are testing the waters with the game day flights to here. Let me tell you something, the Silver Dollar City Old Time Christmas season is a huge draw just as it is at Dollywood and SDC is still more authentic and with unique attractions like the Cave as part of the theme park. I'd be very tempted to use their coast flights if it was local. I got 40% more drive time than the folks in the Memphis area using it yet it's much preferred over Texas beaches and the Redneck Riviera is the place of choice. Ft. Smith has an outstanding little terminal, google image search Ft. Smith airport bathrooms. Insane for where it's at. The Branson airport is soon offering 99 buck one ways to Houston Hobby on 50 seat regional jets.

As for Transatlantic from Memphis, it doesn't have to be Paris, or London, get me to a centrally located place like Amsterdam and I'll train it from there. A Flight to a Med Sea city where cruises depart would be nice as well.

I priced a roundtrip to London on British Airways from Dallas and a choice of a few 4 star hotels for two for 5 nights for 2,500 bucks recently

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; Sep 5, 2014 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 3:35 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

More drama from 100 N. Main. I was looking forward to what this project could turn into when I first heard about it back last year, but between this lawsuit, the tax situation, and then the other fraud situation the owner is facing it's not looking good. Even if he gets everything cleared up, I'm not for sure how many other developers would want to partner with him.

Developer faces lawsuit in revamp of Memphis' tallest building
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...f-memphis.html

Quote:
Isaac Thomas, who is leading a $100 million redevelopment of Memphis' tallest building, has been sued for an alleged breach of partnership, according to a news report.

New York-based Mordchay (Matt) Probkevitz in an Aug. 8 lawsuit in Shelby County Circuit Court accused Yitzchok (Isaac) Thomas of violating an oral agreement, The Commercial Appeal reported late Thursday.

Probkevitz is asking for at least $10 million in actual and punitive damages, the report said. He claimed the alleged breach cost him $360,000 in time and expenses and $5 million in a lost opportunity to flip the 38-story building at 100 N. Main in Downtown.
Quote:
Thomas was quoted in the report as saying that he will argue that he and Probkevitz never had a partnership agreement, and that he made the same offer to form a partnership to several brokers if they were able to secure financing for the project.

New York-based real estate financing and development companies Whitestone Realty Capital LLC and EquiShares Inc. joined Probkevitz as plaintiffs in the suit, the report said.

Despite mounting questions, Thomas has maintained that plans are moving forward with the redevelopment: a 171-room Hotel Indigo and 266 apartment units planned for the building once the developer secures financing.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 8:18 AM

i fail to understand since the airport business and aviation knows about the long-time memphis ability to serve so many critical areas of the west, midwest, and the southwest, why is it that other less busy and less in the stream of things airports get some of the routes that come up. doesn't memphis have a regular in-out transplant fly program? i,m sure these are small stream jet liners, but they carry very important cargo. what about the number of international companies that fly represetatives to memphis and then on to jackson---dutch, swedes, japanese, and chinese. oh, some danish and netherland executives fly in and are in jackson up to 6 weeks working on projects of various kinds. some of the danish are from jansen pharmeceuticals. i know these groups above because i have traveled extenvisvely w/ them, in order to chef for them. it seems that they life southern cooking, southern sushi making ingredients, in addition to what they get in theri countries, and they love different preparations of chicken, especially fried. i have received one offer to chef in find for an executive, and i have also been offered to chef for several of the swedes. they are quite fond of standing rib (crown).

a few weeks ago, i was getting the complete impression that the airport and aerotropolis concept was being cast aside for another idea, and the research park was changing courses. you go by andlook at what has been done over the years, and you really don't see a great deal. looking at ut's knocking down randolph hall, to my way of thinking, to be irresponsibily fiscally. is that area going to be the area where the women's and newborn hospital specialty building will be? prior to this announcement, the cornner at poplar and adams, i think, was to be one of the few specialty
hospitals left to be built w/ designated money by the federal government. the best thing that could ever happen would be to dismantle a good deal of that drug ridden park, get someone to build some decent-looing buildings that are a mix of upscale shops (neiman marcus) and one or two specialty stores, and connect all of that dead space completely to dannt thomas.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 11:20 PM

The attacks that took place at the newly renovated Kroger at Pop and Highland break my heart. The social media vid is being shown everywhere with the typical comments trashing Memphis following. This happened way too close to my Mother's house and even I wish she'd consider a move from Memphis proper. This could have easily happened to her or even me if I was in town.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 1:03 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
The attacks that took place at the newly renovated Kroger at Pop and Highland break my heart. The social media vid is being shown everywhere with the typical comments trashing Memphis following. This happened way too close to my Mother's house and even I wish she'd consider a move from Memphis proper. This could have easily happened to her or even me if I was in town.
I'm on Reese Street. The level of foolishness has been on the rise in this area lately...East Buntyn is still a really good neighborhood though.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 8:24 AM

has anyone noticed the downtown great likeness of the forward auto zone building to that of the newly constructed shell built of the inpc's building. i guess most of what is being built in memphis find's it less expensive to use the same drawings, or, at least remarkably similar buildings. for memphis, the forum, though not very interesting, and the now butchered pyramid seems to be as far as we can get. st. jude, though there are no late recent photos, has turned out some fairly nice-looking main campus. it would be nice if the gold dome could be seen for several miles, that would be really nice. i don't know how the other projects downtown are turning out, particularly the jefferson avenue renovation of the parking deck and the two twenty story mixed use buildings.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 11:14 PM

Y'all chill out!

Walmart Supercenter to I-40 and Whitten

I miss Adventure River

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Saw that on the news today. Yikes, pretty scary. Is that a bad area?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 2:48 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Not at all.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
It was followed up with a daytime shooting at the Target off of Colonial, the one by the popular Williams Sonoma/Pottery Barn Outlet.

And a teen was shot dead while sleeping when a stray bullet came through the house.

Memphis is in desperate need of a massive show of force right now.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 5:57 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Late summer is here and I'm kinda getting impatient on the One Beale news. Looking forward to seeing some new renderings or at least some news on the makeup of the development. Also, anyone in the UofM area seen any progress/demolition making way for the two new apartment buildings? I'd try to swing by one afternoon to take some photos if there's anything to take a photo of, but I'm out of town right now.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 2:26 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Late summer is here and I'm kinda getting impatient on the One Beale news. Looking forward to seeing some new renderings or at least some news on the makeup of the development. Also, anyone in the UofM area seen any progress/demolition making way for the two new apartment buildings? I'd try to swing by one afternoon to take some photos if there's anything to take a photo of, but I'm out of town right now.
Yep, me too. As far as the apartments near U of M- the one next to "The Gather" has the foundation poured and is starting to go up- I'll see if I can get something. As far as the other one is concerned (I assume you mean the one at Mynders/Brister) I don't think much has moved yet other than property deeds. Also, I'm a bit impatient on the Highland Row development myself.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 2:56 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomJ View Post
Yep, me too. As far as the apartments near U of M- the one next to "The Gather" has the foundation poured and is starting to go up- I'll see if I can get something. As far as the other one is concerned (I assume you mean the one at Mynders/Brister) I don't think much has moved yet other than property deeds. Also, I'm a bit impatient on the Highland Row development myself.
That's good to hear. I think I remember the Mynders/Brister project saying those units would be online in December of 2015 so I'm guessing they should start within the next few months. I still can't figure out the Highland Row situation. I've always thought that just about any business there, especially at Highland and Midland would thrive regardless of what it was just based on the amount of traffic that it would draw. I'm hoping that something similar to the Stratum (mixed use) will pop up at Highland and Midland in the next few years.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 3:49 PM

Here's a map of the Graceland area that I did to give you a better vision of what EPE is planning to do. The dark green areas are where houses are now that will become greenspace in the near future. The trees will stay. It could be less or it could be more than I have highlighted. But this is just my theory at this point. I'm just going by what EPE and a anonymous source told me in private.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 9:38 PM

Professional football taps Memphis

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/b...s-memphis.html
Quote:
Professional football is coming back to Memphis in 2015 — summer 2015, to be exact.

The North American Football League, a new professional league, is launching next year with eight teams, and one of those teams, the Kings, will be based in Memphis According to the NAFL’s website, the league’s schedule will be played during the spring and summer to not compete with professional, college or high school football. And it also lays out plans for everything from an annual draft to plans for a streaming network that will broadcast the league’s games.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 11:21 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
Here's a map of the Graceland area that I did to give you a better vision of what EPE is planning to do. The dark green areas are where houses are now that will become greenspace in the near future. The trees will stay. It could be less or it could be more than I have highlighted. But this is just my theory at this point. I'm just going by what EPE and a anonymous source told me in private.

So...am I missing something here? Is EPE really going to displace hundreds of people just so they can create the illusion of 'a country setting' around their new Pigeon Forge style hotel?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
So...am I missing something here? Is EPE really going to displace hundreds of people just so they can create the illusion of 'a country setting' around their new Pigeon Forge style hotel?
They're planning to buy the houses, most likely at double the value. That'll put twice as much in those middle to lower class residents to put towards better safer neighborhoods. There's about 250-300 homes in that darkened area. Most are small lot houses meaning less expensive to buyout.

It'll benefit Memphis' housing market once all the homes are bought up, and it'll benefit Graceland by being in a rural suburban area which will impact tourism on another level.

I knew something was up when I saw how close the new hotel would be to potential homes. Nobody builds a luxury resort in a residential backyard.

FYI, the new hotel will surpass any other hotel in Memphis as far as contemporary appeal is concerned. Far cry from DollyWood's resort or anything to date in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg.

Last edited by Huntsvillenative; Sep 12, 2014 at 12:04 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations