HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 10:36 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Tuck Lung building DAR #2 drawings [9MB] and memo the Landmarks Commission.
So paint it black? Is SERA trolling the Landmarks Commission?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Design Advice? I can sum up my advice in one word: DON'T.

The ground story lacks any character whatsoever. It couldn't be any more generic if they tried. And the second story...? Oof. Just oof. The proportions make it look imposingly top heavy, but for what purpose? The street level looks like it belongs in a bad strip mall, not in Chinatown, and the top looks like they're trying to hide a garage. I don't see how the redesign is a benefit. Why not clean up and improve what's there?

I don't understand this at all. Hopefully they get sent back to the drawing board.
Looks like you got your wish? Honestly, I prefer the clean lines of the first proposal over the mish mash of the second.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:32 AM
Semi-Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
So paint it black? Is SERA trolling the Landmarks Commission?
It seems like the main alteration here is to open up the street level retail. Which may not seem like much, but it would be a welcome improvement.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 3:43 AM

The scope of this project seems pretty weak. If we can't snap our fingers and magically recreate the original handsomely-proportioned building on this site I'd suggest tearing this thing down, building anew, and giving the neighborhood some additional square footage to work with. Or retain the facade and hire a quality architecture firm to go higher out of the existing shell.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 4:07 AM

There's really no design or visual relationship between the Grove Hotel and the new building, is there?

Quote:

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
There's really no design or visual relationship between the Grove Hotel and the new building, is there?
I have the same thoughts. Is there a historical reason the Grove was saved? I don't care for the disconnect between the old and the new.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 6:48 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
I have the same thoughts. Is there a historical reason the Grove was saved? I don't care for the disconnect between the old and the new.
The Grove Hotel is a historic landmark building, built in 1907 as a low income hotel, it is also one of the buildings that was affected by the widening of Burnside.

The original version of the building was twice as wide.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 7:57 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeade View Post
Looks like you got your wish? Honestly, I prefer the clean lines of the first proposal over the mish mash of the second.
Well... it's better than what they were going to do, but that's not saying much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
It seems like the main alteration here is to open up the street level retail. Which may not seem like much, but it would be a welcome improvement.
That is true... but this is too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
The scope of this project seems pretty weak.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 12:36 AM

I'd forgotten about this project, but looks like the time share development is going up on the waterfront. (Sorry for the drive-by shots).

20171119_131319 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

20171119_131308 by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 6:08 AM
A before E

I noticed the crane was up last week, I have a photo on my phone of it that I have been meaning to upload and post.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 6:16 AM

Thanks for sharing. It sure is nice to finally see that gaps along Naito filling in.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 9:07 PM

According to an article ($) in the PBJ Naito Development has sold the Grove Hotel to London hotelier Ennismore. They will brand the hotel as The Hoxton Portland.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:16 AM

Quote:
According to an article ($) in the PBJ Naito Development has sold the Grove Hotel to London hotelier Ennismore. They will brand the hotel as The Hoxton Portland.
They must have Photoshopped out the homeless. I wouldn't bet on a nice hotel on that particular block. Unless the city has a secret plan that we don't know about.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
They must have Photoshopped out the homeless. I wouldn't bet on a nice hotel on that particular block. Unless the city has a secret plan that we don't know about.
There's a nice hotel coming on that particular block and it's almost complete. So close to Ankeny Alley and Pine Street Market as well as in the middle of the downtown PDX nightlife district...I think the hotelier will do well.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 7:27 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
There's a nice hotel coming on that particular block and it's almost complete. So close to Ankeny Alley and Pine Street Market as well as in the middle of the downtown PDX nightlife district...I think the hotelier will do well.
I am almost 100% sure you are talking about the Grove Hotel. I am confused on who owned the Grove Hotel. I thought the city owned the buildings and sold it to a hotel developer that is building the hotel that is going up now. I didn't realize Naito Development bought it and started building a hotel, something that seems to be outside of what they would typically do with their property. Either way, good for them for selling a hotel before it is even completed, that way they don't have to deal with the issue of running a hotel.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 4:00 PM

The surface parking on Block 25 (bound by Flanders, 4th, Glisan and 3rd) is going to be transfered from OMF to Prosper Portland. Once NW Natural moves out of Old Town that will make the block available for development.

https://prosperportland.us/wp-conten...port-18-12.pdf

https://prosperportland.us/wp-conten...ution-7269.pdf

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 4:01 AM

Quote:
A downtown 'resort' set to land on Naito

A Florida company said Monday it plans to bring an Orlando touch to the core of downtown Portland.

Wyndham Destinations (NYSE: WYND) plans to build "a vacation ownership resort" at the corner of Southwest Naito Parkway and Pine Street. The 75-unit effort, called WorldMark Portland, could be ready by July 2019, the company said.

Some 100 jobs will result from the project, which will include condo-style suites. Wyndham said 550 workers will have jobs during construction.

"This will be an exciting location for us," said Michael D. Brown, the company's president and CEO in a release. "Resorts like this provide desirable destinations for our owners, while also helping facilitate lead generation and new-owner sales,"
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 7:12 PM

A Pre-Application Conference has been scheduled to discuss demolition of the old Blanchet House at NW 3rd & Glisan:

Quote:
Removal of the three-story building currently occupying the parcel at 340 NW Glisan Street based on existing conditions and barriers to reasonable economic use of the site. Potential small scale replacement structure options to be discussed as well. This is a contributing structure in Historic New Chinatown/Japantown. CC - Old Town/Chinatown Plan District.
This is going to be pretty contentious.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 10:43 PM

Notice of a Pre-Application Conference for the demolition of the old Blanchet House

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 4:20 AM

Honestly not in love with the idea of buying this building to demolish it.

Quote:
Old Town building selected as Portland's latest housing bond acquisition

Portland's housing bureau will buy, tear down and replace an Old Town apartment building to house low-income renters.

The Westwind apartment building, at 333. N.W. Sixth Ave., would be the fifth acquisition funded by the housing bond the city's voters approved in 2016. The site will cost $3 million, and construction will bring the project cost to about $20 million.

In addition to housing bond funds, the project will also draw from the Downtown Waterfront Urban Renewal Area, and Multnomah County has dedicated $4 million from the sale of the county's Wapato Jail toward the project.

The purchase will go to the Portland City Council for approval this fall.
...continues at the Oregonian.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland