HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 2:27 AM

These long range shots also show how much truly outdated junk and cut rate filler there is in the vicinity and on the waterfront. Compared to its context it's head and shoulders above in quality and aesthetics.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
These long range shots also show how much truly outdated junk and cut rate filler there is in the vicinity and on the waterfront. Compared to its context it's head and shoulders above in quality and aesthetics.
Easy there lil Giligan i wouldn't go around saying filler just because you can't appreciate evolution!

You probably think Dubai is world class?

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Easy there lil Giligan i wouldn't go around saying filler just because you can't appreciate evolution!

You probably think Dubai is world class?
To be fair, buildings like 400 E Randolph are pretty much hot garbage. Imagine what could be build there now.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
To be fair, buildings like 400 E Randolph are pretty much hot garbage. Imagine what could be build there now.
I can see it now... An inconspicuous glass box on top of a colossal podium. I agree though, that building is shit

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 1:49 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Yeah, but that pool dome tho!

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 1:52 PM

Quote:
If he were just talking about 400 E I might agree with him (though that building has almost brutalist charm in a way) but I'm afraid he is referring to the crop of nice or pretty decent glass towers in streeterville not called 500 N LSD. If that's the case then he's soooo wrong, even the most mediocre glass box (again not counting Relateds other abortions) is lightyears ahead of this. If anything those long range shots show just how much of this portion of the skyline is still dominated by heavy concrete structures completely undermining the notion that "at least it's breaking up a sea of glass". It's not, it fits right in, shoulder to shoulder, with all the other concrete trash like 400E.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
I can see it now... An inconspicuous glass box on top of a colossal podium. I agree though, that building is shit
Good point. Need a podium ban first before replacing a building in that location.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 3:41 PM
THAT Guy

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 5:21 PM

Another inexplicable thing is the hard-on for Related Midwest some people have here. They hired local Chicago architects for their earlier mediocre projects, which should be commended. Then got a mediocre outside firm like Handel. But their latest projects have seen an increase in quality and outside talent: SOM, Morris Adjmi, Stern. They're clearly making a bet on the Chicago market and bringing it up to a higher footing.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 7:48 PM
1st Ward

Wow, gorgeous shots Spyguy! Its hard to beat summer in Chicago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
Another inexplicable thing is the hard-on for Related Midwest some people have here. They hired local Chicago architects for their earlier mediocre projects, which should be commended. Then got a mediocre outside firm like Handel. But their latest projects have seen an increase in quality and outside talent: SOM, Morris Adjmi, Stern. They're clearly making a bet on the Chicago market and bringing it up to a higher footing.
I don't think most people here have a hard-on for Related as you claim. If anything I'd say it's the opposite; there's a lot of hate here for Related, and much of it quite well deserved IMO.

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 8:52 PM
Development Shill

Yeah, it sounds like he's saying that they should be more liked, so I think he's just misusing the word "hard-on" as if having a boner is a bad thing I guess...

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 9:41 PM

That 2nd shot that Spyguy posted will drastically change with hopefully OCS, Tribune , 400 LSD, Vista. I know those are not your shots but damn are they good.

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 4:03 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Yeah, it sounds like he's saying that they should be more liked, so I think he's just misusing the word "hard-on" as if having a boner is a bad thing I guess...
Hrm. Well typically, as a male, having a hard on for something means liking something a lot. I guess his experience may differ from mine in that respect?

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 8:33 PM
Ascension

Quote:

It's bowling shoe ugly but I love 400 E. Randolph. It was surely a pioneer when you consider that it opened light years ahead of time and how lonely it was when it was complete. And by lonely, I mean totally alone. Can't imagine living there during then.

http://www.neweastside.org/IMG_1255.JPG

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 9:36 PM

From Flickr

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 10:01 PM
1st Ward

Jaw dropping gorgeous!

That water looks extra inviting on a hot day like today, lol

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 11:13 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Hrm. Well typically, as a male, having a hard on for something means liking something a lot. I guess his experience may differ from mine in that respect?
Yeahhh that's why it confused me too haha

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 2:59 AM

5/28

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 3:29 AM

^^^Great shots. That 3rd picture highlights how tall the tower actually looks from street level.

Old Posted May 30, 2018, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230Roberto View Post
^^^Great shots. That 3rd picture highlights how tall the tower actually looks from street level.
Thanks. I was trying out my girlfriend's new mirrorless camera and one of the lenses on this trip. The tower is pretty tall. I don't know what it is, but OBP and Vista definitely feel taller than their current heights.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive