HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 9:18 PM

Thanks for the street view of the Temple Bldg UL - - - That is a great building. Even without a tower it would be excellent news to hear that it will be brought back to life for creative office space!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 10:09 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
So say this building is on the high end at 21 stories, will it be visible from the standard Portland skyline pictures looking from the East Side? I ask this because this location is pretty dense from tall buildings
This hotel and the Marriott across the street should be somewhat visible from the east, though this tower would be partially hidden behind the WTC building.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2015, 10:48 PM

The new building is located east of PGE (One World Trade Center) by a block or so. PGE is 17 stories, so if the new tower is 21 stories then the top floors should have an unobstructed view to the east. I presume that this building will be visible from the east side, although it will not alter the skyline because, as you say, there are several towers in the area.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 3:17 AM

The project is 7/8 of the block, the only building not included is the Auditorium building. The creative office portion is the northern half of the block, the Temple building will be renovated and connected to the new ground-up office structure.

The proposed hotel is the entire southern half of the block, not including the Auditorium.

This is going to be a really unique project.

Along with 2&Taylor across the street, The AC Marriott, The Porter, 710 SW Columbia, HUB on Campus and some other upcoming projects the southern part of Downtown is about the change significantly and for the better!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 3:22 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Pearl View Post
The proposed hotel is the entire southern half of the block, not including the Auditorium.
I wonder if that means the end of the Lotus. It certainly means the end of their building. That's a shame. I hoped it would be rehabbed. I've always liked the mural on the back of the building. I wonder when that mural first went up. If I'm not mistaken, it's been covered by advertising lately, and that's a shame too.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 6:30 AM

Quote:
The project is 7/8 of the block, the only building not included is the Auditorium building. The creative office portion is the northern half of the block, the Temple building will be renovated and connected to the new ground-up office structure.

It'll be sad to lose the Lotus building, but it's not a gem like the Auditorium or the Temple building. I'm very excited for this project!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 6:42 AM
Karma Police

Quote:

This is going to be a really unique project.
So, just to clarify, you're saying the Auditorium Bldg is remaining as-is (no renovation), but the Lotus is being demolished to make way for the 3/8 block hotel? Then the Temple is getting renovated and will be attached to a new creative office building where Good Earth is now? Is that the plan?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 8:00 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abide View Post
It'll be sad to lose the Lotus building, but it's not a gem like the Auditorium or the Temple building. I'm very excited for this project!
That would be a sad loss, such the bar portion of that building is a classic, though the building itself is nothing special compared to the other two on that block....plus there is a nice big "U" on the door for the upper floors and I imagine that building would be a total waste of money to renovate.

I will always have my memories of that bar, like the time I got so drunk there hanging out with an old friend that I almost fell off the bar stool because I didn't realize how much I actually drank.

Though I am sure the lawyers in that area will really be hurting with losing that bar seeing it was a major lawyer hangout spot.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 5:01 PM

Correct, that is my understanding.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
That would be a sad loss, such the bar portion of that building is a classic, though the building itself is nothing special compared to the other two on that block....plus there is a nice big "U" on the door for the upper floors and I imagine that building would be a total waste of money to renovate.

I will always have my memories of that bar, like the time I got so drunk there hanging out with an old friend that I almost fell off the bar stool because I didn't realize how much I actually drank.

Though I am sure the lawyers in that area will really be hurting with losing that bar seeing it was a major lawyer hangout spot.
The actual wooden bar is magnificent and needs to find a prominent new home. I wonder if it would be possible for the Lotus to move into the Temple building once it's renovated. That would be a cool location and convenient for existing patrons.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 12:07 AM
A before E

Quote:
The actual wooden bar is magnificent and needs to find a prominent new home. I wonder if it would be possible for the Lotus to move into the Temple building once it's renovated. That would be a cool location and convenient for existing patrons.
That would be awesome if that happened, I remember when the Temple's first floor was being used for a dump of a nightclub. And yes, I love that old bar at the Lotus, such a classic piece.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 10:32 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Its actually similar to Jake's bar, interesting.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2015, 8:25 PM

Quote:
So say this building is on the high end at 21 stories, will it be visible from the standard Portland skyline pictures looking from the East Side? I ask this because this location is pretty dense from tall buildings
I think it would visible, it just wouldn't have much impact as, depending on the angle of view, it would be mostly obscured by the World Trade Center.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post

I've been informed by someone working on the project that there will be every attempt to remove and preserve the interesting bits from the interior of the building. Based on early design concepts they shared, the idea was to keep the Lotus building. It sounds like the contractors evaluated the building pretty extensively in an attempt to preserve it, and there were enough red flags that it was deemed not viable. Sounds like the actual construction quality of it was not that great, believe it or not. The Temple building on the other hand, sounds like it isn't going anywhere.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrG View Post
I've been informed by someone working on the project that there will be every attempt to remove and preserve the interesting bits from the interior of the building. Based on early design concepts they shared, the idea was to keep the Lotus building. It sounds like the contractors evaluated the building pretty extensively in an attempt to preserve it, and there were enough red flags that it was deemed not viable. Sounds like the actual construction quality of it was not that great, believe it or not. The Temple building on the other hand, sounds like it isn't going anywhere.
Do you know how many stories we looking at? Probably wouldn't hurt to say since your logged in anonymously

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 4:47 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrG View Post
That is good to hear about wanting to preserve as much as they can with the Lotus building, I had a feeling it would eventually get torn down. It is a building that could fall down if you lean on it too hard.

Also good to hear the Temple building will be seeing new life, that one is definitely a gem in Portland.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Do you know how many stories we looking at? Probably wouldn't hurt to say since your logged in anonymously
Good question! I didn't think to ask at that moment. IIRC, the height allowed on that block maybe 350', but I'd be really surprised if the proposed use is that tall. A DAR hearing is coming pretty soon so we will all find out soon enough, as the initial docs have to be submitted to BDS for prelim review, 10 days ahead of a hearing I think.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 7:56 PM

Ankrom Moisan Architects have requested Design Advice for 930 SW 3rd Ave:

Quote:
Design Advice Request for joint development of boutique hotel (157,700 GSF, 19-21 stories) and creative office (100,000 GSF, 10 stories). Office building area includes the rehabilitated Temple Building. Below-grade parking lot 43-100 cars, accessed from SW 3rd Ave. Stormwater treatment to be a combination of ecoroof and structured planters on the hotel Level 4 and office roof.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 1:13 AM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 1:37 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Interesting. They want to put 4-5 additional floors ON TOP of the Temple Bldg? I'm not sure that's the best way to respect the integrity of such an important historic landmark. Why wouldn't they just add that space on top of the adjacent new office building at the NW corner?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland