HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cane View Post
Speaking of the airport, with the building of the new Jackson terminal, I wish they'd consider renaming the concourses and get rid of the T. Just start with A. I know it'd probably be a little chaotic at first, but it makes much more sense. Coming in internationally, I've had to explain where it is.
Good thought. Not sure they would do that, but it does make sense to re-allign things with the opening of the new terminal.

Speaking of renaming... is it permissible to take the airport title back to just "ATL" or Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport at a minimum? The Jackson in both the airport title and the new terminal seems a little overkill. If the international terminal at LAX is good enough for Tom Bradley, the international terminal at ATL should be good enough for Jackson (and his family).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2010, 6:59 PM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCA REP View Post
Good thought. Not sure they would do that, but it does make sense to re-allign things with the opening of the new terminal.

Speaking of renaming... is it permissible to take the airport title back to just "ATL" or Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport at a minimum? The Jackson in both the airport title and the new terminal seems a little overkill. If the international terminal at LAX is good enough for Tom Bradley, the international terminal at ATL should be good enough for Jackson (and his family).
Yeah but the "Jackson" part of the name is fitting. Hartsfield turned the area from a racetrack into an airfield and Jackson turned it into the behemoth that it is today. People will probably always think of it or refer to it as the Atlanta Airport instead of the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport much the same way we call it Los Angeles when its real name is El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles. But the name for ATL is fitting.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 3:59 AM

New Hartsfield-Jackson terminal raises new questions

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

With two years to go until Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport’s international terminal opening date, airport managers are getting down to the nitty-gritty details of planning how the new terminal will function for travelers.

A key issue yet to be resolved: How passengers arriving at the new terminal will get from there to MARTA and rental cars, which are on the opposite end of the airport.

One of the main benefits of the international terminal is that passengers bound for Atlanta will not have to re-check their baggage after they clear customs at Hartsfield-Jackson, as they do now so they can ride the airport train to the main terminal.

But they will be coming out into the public area of the international terminal, and airport officials say they are working on how to get people to the MARTA station in the existing terminal, as well to the consolidated rental car center on the other side of I-85.

"We may have a shuttle service," but it hasn't been decided yet, he said. For rental cars, one option is a satellite rental car area for the international terminal, he said. A team was recently formed to work out those decisions.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 4:33 PM

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

You know, its seems that this is something they should have figured out before they even designed the new terminal. I think getting on a shuttle bus to go to the west side of the airport to catch MARTA would be idiotic and for those passengers your trading the inconvenience of having to recheck there luggage to get to the terminal for the oncovenience of having to get on a shuttle bus.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 5:23 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompuss View Post
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

You know, its seems that this is something they should have figured out before they even designed the new terminal. I think getting on a shuttle bus to go to the west side of the airport to catch MARTA would be idiotic and for those passengers your trading the inconvenience of having to recheck there luggage to get to the terminal for the oncovenience of having to get on a shuttle bus.
That's funny, Pompuss. I read that article this morning and thought the exact same thing.

"...airport managers are getting down to the nitty-gritty details of planning how the new terminal will function for travelers."

You're just getting around to this, uh, minor detail now? How it will function for travelers

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompuss View Post
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

The options are to have a second ground transportation area on the east side minus Marta or somehow get people to the existing ground transportation. The most logical solution to me is to extend the skytrain to the international terminal if its even feasible. I don't know what else could be done about the fact that the Marta station is on the other side of the airport.

If you're taking public transportation from the airport, I don't see how a shuttle bus would be that big of a deal.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Apr 14, 2010 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 6:39 PM
Reliable Source

Why not extend the existing people mover to the international terminal if they want to get to Marta; or give travelers the option to have a driver bring a rent car from the rental facility?

Doesn't seem like such a big deal.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
Why not extend the existing people mover to the international terminal if they want to get to Marta; or give travelers the option to have a driver bring a rent car from the rental facility?

Doesn't seem like such a big deal.

I think this is a pretty big deal. My understanding was that the passengers would retrieve their checked-in luggage at the new East Terminal after they got off the trains, like domestic passengers. That means they would have to go back through security with all their luggage to get down to the people mover level and go back to the West terminal. One way it could work though I guess is to send passengers luggage who are planning on renting a car or taking MARTA to the old West Terminal so they can pick it up there luggage there.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 3:56 AM
Reliable Source

Even when I arrive from an international flight, I carry very little and could easily get on the DeCosta mover including my wheelie bag, if they would just extend it to the new facility. If I'm loaded down with lots of contraband then I take a taxi anyway.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 4:03 AM
Man of Many Statistics

HJAIA ranked 10th best airport in North America by JD Power

HJAIA (awkward as the acronym is) is ranked the 10th best North American major airport in 2010 by JD Power and Associates. Here is the nifty sideshow cnbc made on it.

Yay ten. As I scrolled through the list of non-Atlanta Airports my mind drifted. The only thing that stood out to me was that Detroit claimed #1 and Phoenix is cool enough to call their airport the Phoenix Sky Harbor. Maybe our airport is special for having the most awkward name on the list.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 4:05 AM
Man of Many Statistics

Wow was I delirious here? Ignore this comment.

Last edited by dante2308; Apr 16, 2010 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308 View Post
HJAIA (awkward as the acronym is) is ranked the 10th best North American major airport in 2010 by JD Power and Associates. Here is the nifty sideshow cnbc made on it.

Yay ten. As I scrolled through the list of non-Atlanta Airports my mind drifted. The only thing that stood out to me was that Detroit claimed #1 and Phoenix is cool enough to call their airport the Phoenix Sky Harbor. Maybe our airport is special for having the most awkward name on the list.
Who calls ATL airport HJAIA? Only those who maybe try to make some sort of political statement.

The acronym/code for Atlanta's airport is ATL. It is also known as Hartsfield-Jackson as it is described in the slide show that you cited.

The full name is Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. But only a little research would show that one of the airports (actually the first I googled from the list you cited) has a full name of Minneapolis-St.Paul International/Wold-Chamberlain Airport. Is that name more "awkward"? Will that make its acronym MSPIWCA?

I really didn't googled anything more to illustrate my point until I goodled the one that you thought was cool and it's full name is Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport....isn't Sky Harbor and Airport kinda redundant?

Thanks for the list though. You could have (probably should have) just left it at that.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 10:23 AM

Geez!

I know I've been guilty of posting something snippy like that on a bad day, but seriously there's a number of members from ATL who always seem to have a chip on their shoulder.

Nice to see that ATL made top ten.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
Geez!

I know I've been guilty of posting something snippy like that on a bad day, but seriously there's a number of members from ATL who always seem to have a chip on their shoulder.

Nice to see that ATL made top ten.
It's not called being "snippy" or "having a chip on my shoulder". It's called being factual and fair. If you are going to compare things, compare them wholistically and not try to make certain statements and fudge the matter.

What does your post add to the thread if not being what you accused me of me being? Methinks it is kinda snippy. I make no apology for attacking cynicism, hyprocrisy and the like. You probably could've keep your "snippy" remark.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 1:30 PM

Touche.

To expound on my comment, HJAIA tends to get a bad rap outside the area for delays, sheer size, etc. It's just nice to see HJAIA ranked highly on a list other than statistical rankings.

HJAIA

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 5:50 PM

I think it's a lot easier said than done to extend the people-mover to the East Terminal, especially when it would be a distance of about 5-miles if the line traveled around the perimeter of the Airport. And, the cost would be exhorbitant for the amount of use it would get. I think frequently running shuttle buses back-and-forth is what they will decide on. There are many other airports which do shuttling between terminals or various airport facilities, so this would be no different. It seems the bitching has gone from how inconvenient it is to have to re-check bags to get to the Main Terminal after clearing Customs at Conc E to how this is now going to be so inconvenient for those who need MARTA or the rental cars. From what I understand, the parking garage is going to hold less than 2,000 vehicles, so I can't see many spaces being allocated to rental cars. Those spaces are going to be at a premium as far as demand goes. The Airport can't effectively duplicate facilities on the east side when more than 90% of the demand is on the west side. Am I missing something here?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 6:36 PM

You bring up some good points. I don't think its near as big a deal as some of the reaction I've read here and elsewhere.

A shuttle from the new terminal to the RAC would work just as well the rental car shuttles did before. And the fact that Marta is located on the other end of the airport is a matter of distance, not design.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 8:07 PM

I see this terminal being a huge step forward for ATL. While it may not be "perfect" due of its location with respect to Ground Transportation facilities, it will certainly be a vast improvement in the experience for most international O&D travelers. If there are 2-3 buses running continuously between the new terminal and the Ground Transportation area of the existing terminal, that does the trick and it's far less costly than building what would be a little used people mover. ATL could decide to have the bus route take a path across the Midfield Terminal Complex ramps instead of public roads. May reduce travel time, though taking the south route along Loop Road to 285 would be pretty quick also.

I guess I'm just thinking about airports like IAH & DFW or LAS which currently shuttle passengers to their respective rental car centers, as does PHX (though there will be a people mover in place in a few years). The time spent on these buses is no different than it would be to travel from the new terminal to the existing terminal @ ATL. And, again, the number of customers needing to utilize the service will not be incredibly high on a per day basis. Lastly, speaking of rental car facilities, I really think ATL got it right with the SkyTrain linking the terminal and rental car center.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 8:43 PM

I just think it's kind of a waste to have passengers come in a new "flagship terminal" for the airport and have to go out into the elements, get on a diesel bus or something, and ride 4 miles+ to get to the rental car facility and MARTA. They might as well have a MARTA shuttle run people from there to the East Point station, it might be closer. This may sound crazy but maybe they could have built a parallel direct tunnel from the new terminal to the existing West Terminal for the airport people-mover that would be an "express" back to the old terminal. As far as connecting the rental car people mover to the new terminal that could never happen unless they go south of the 3 and 4 runways and that's not economical either.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 9:31 PM

Am I missing something?

It says here that "The new 12-gate facility will connect via the Automated People Mover System to the existing 28-gate international concourse E, creating a 40-gate international air travel complex at Hartsfield-Jackson."

http://www.atlanta-airport.com/Airpo...n_Maynard.aspx

So why would any other ground transportation be needed?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta