HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 3:42 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
Ummm... no. Lenarduzzi was probably referring to the unbuilt soccer stadium. The Lions will continue to play at BC Place. So BC Place remains multi-purpose.
yes i realize that. but that is what he said about BC Place. He sounded excited about the renos

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 4:36 PM

It's now on the front page at MLS and you can watch the news conference live at 10.15am - http://web.mlsnet.com/index.jsp

Here's the Caps page for live video again - http://www.whitecapsfc.com/announcement/

In regards to the BC Place not being a SSS. With the inner roof creating an intimate setting for 22k people. Lenarduzzi is right, it will become an SSS. The term is for a stadium with the main focus of hosting soccer matches in an intimate setting, but also hosting other sports like lacrosse or grid-iron. Some people have come to think the term means soccer only.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 4:44 PM

^ don't forget that fancy new field, with that optic lighting thing amajizz.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 4:49 PM

Is that the thingamajig that creates the lines on the pitch without using the traditional methods?

Interesting note.....Soccer America was reporting that we will have grass installed instead of fake turf but I think they got their information mixed up. http://www.socceramerica.com/index.c...&art_aid=31516

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 5:51 PM
victory in near

its official. i'm sold

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 6:46 PM

Welcome to MLS Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 6:52 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

i got goosebumps watching that video! Go Whitecaps Go!

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 7:45 PM

im pumped! ill be at that franchise opener!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 10:52 PM

Nothing new here, but I thought this thread deserved an article confirming the official announcement. Can't wait to catch some games in the sunshine (hopefully) at BC Place!

Quote:
It's official: Whitecaps joining MLS in 2011

By Ian Walker, Vancouver Sun - March 18, 2009 3:01 PM

It's a good news Wednesday for Vancouver Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi, as he talks about the franchise joining Major League Soccer (MLS) for the 2011 season.
Photograph by: Jenelle Schneider, Vancouver Sun

The Vancouver Whitecaps will join Major League Soccer for the 2011 season, it was confirmed today, in what may be the worst-kept secret in Lower Mainland sports circles.

MLS commissioner Don Garber made the announcement at a posh and packed press conference at the Westin Bayshore. Garber praised the team's ownership group for convincing MLS that Vancouver was a viable market for its 17th franchise.

"It's a very passionate soccer market and an ownership group that gets the game," said Garber. "Our goal is to become one of the world's best soccer leagues. The addition of Vancouver will help us get to that point."

Current Whitecaps owner Greg Kerfoot is heading the Vancouver ownership group. Joining him are NBA star Steve Nash, San Francisco Giants co-owner Jeff Mallett and Boston Celtics co-owner Steve Luczo. The group paid US$35 million for the franchise, down from the $40 million price tag MLS was originally asking, but more than the $30 million the Seattle Sounders paid two years ago. Seattle makes its MLS debut on Thursday in the league's opener agianst the New York Red Bulls at Qwest Field.

Whitecaps president Bob Lenarduzzi cautioned there is a chance the team name could change once it joins MLS, but not if he gets his way.

"The Whitecaps name has a lot of equity," said Lenarduzzi. "There is a lot of things we need to make decisions on. There may be people out there that think it may need to be something other than that."

Vancouver will have the second MLS team in Canada following the successful launch of Toronto FC in 2007. Toronto FC has sold out every home game, capped season tickets at 16,000, and has a season-ticket waiting list of over 14,000.

The Vancouver expansion team will play at a renovated BC Place Stadium., which is set to undergo $365 million worth of improvements, including a retractable roof.

Kerfoot is the owner of Vancouver Whitecaps FC and former CEO of Crystal Decisions Software. Luczo is president, CEO, and chairman of the board for Seagate Technology and part owner of the NBA's Boston Celtics. Mallett is part owner of Major League Baseball's San Francisco Giants and is the former president and COO of Yahoo! Nash — a guard for the NBAs Phoenix Suns — is a two-time NBA MVP, and along with Mallett, is an investor in women's professional soccer.

iwalker@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Source: Vancouver Sun

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 10:55 PM

I heard that the Whitecaps may change their name when they enter into the league?

Vancouversun

that would suck. I would rather stick with the Whitecaps...but I would maybe tinker with the logo a bit (make it a bit meaner, aggressive looking), and change the uniforms (but keep it simple).

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 11:00 PM

that is crazy. toronto has a waiting list of 14,000!! wow. i wonder if the whitecaps when they start can get up to those standards and beyond. that would be totally amazing if we can achieve that type of support. toronto has that 'sea of red' where all the fans are wearing the toronto fc colors. we should have something like that here at bc place - get all the fans to wear all white or blue (or whatever the colors will be when they start play in 2011).

i'm really excited. what a wonderful day for vancouver sports =] NBA - COME BACK! and whatever happened to the NLL? i heard a report a while back ago that dave walters (former boxer) was going to bring back a NLL franchise to vancouver - is that still going on?

here's the article on Dave Walters: Vancouver Province

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 11:12 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
I heard that the Whitecaps may change their name when they enter into the league?
i think there will probably be a vote on the new name and its possible that "Whitecaps FC" will not make it. you also have to wonder what the Women's team will be called

the seattle sounders kept their name, toronto changed theirs.

maybe it will be VFC

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 11:30 PM

The Whitecaps name and branding has resulted in too much recognition and goodwill over the years, particularly the glory years from 1978 - 1984, to be dropped.

Remember the 100,000 who showed up downtown after their '79 NASL Championship?

Renaming the team would not be in the team's best interests.

BTW, congratulations Whitecaps!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 2:13 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

YOUTUBE CLIP >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLNBypM_vKc

GO GORDO GO!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 3:16 AM
Hello World

If Vancouver Whitecaps are smart, they will not repeat the shameful Grizzlies' mistakes and include the huge Asian population in their marketing campaign. We Asians are crazy for soccer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpdNL6Sv4tU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEsR7Guk294

Like I said in that NBA Grizzlies thread, the impact to Canucks will be minimal because hockey is still mostly a Caucasian sport than an Asian sport.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 5:22 AM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
If Vancouver Whitecaps are smart, they will not repeat the shameful Grizzlies' mistakes and include the huge Asian population in their marketing campaign. We Asians are crazy for soccer

Like I said in that NBA Grizzlies thread, the impact to Canucks will be minimal because hockey is still mostly a Caucasian sport than an Asian sport.
you do realize that the majority of Russia is actually inside asia and hockey is quite popular in other asian countries like Kazakhstan. Even Turkey, Mongolia and South Korea has a national teams.

I have no idea what you mean by using terms like "caucasian"

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 5:26 AM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
you do realize that the majority of Russia is actually inside asia and hockey is quite popular in other asian countries like Kazakhstan. Even Turkey, Mongolia and South Korea has a national teams.

I have no idea what you mean by using terms like "caucasian"
Ok, I will be clearer. When I say Asians, I meant EAST ASIANS like Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese... etc. Also, you're telling me that hockey is bigger than soccer in Asia ? lol

and yes, hockey attracts more CAUCASIANS (as in white people). You don't think most of the hockey fans and players are all Caucasians ? Please don't make my comment sound like some racist statement

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 9:13 AM

Quote:

It's true. Asians are crazzy for soccer!! i'm sure the whitecaps will be smarter than the grizzlies regime, in reaching out to the asian population. IF the nba ever returns to vancouver, i can see them employing that strategy of reaching and advertising to the large asian (specifically chinese) population here in the lower mainland. lernarduzzi mentioned that season tickets cap at 16,000 approx. i am sure that we can reach that, and more! GO WHITECAPS GOO!!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 12:29 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

soccer is the most popular sport in the world. you could successfully market it to ANYONE, and that what the Whitecaps should do.

and for the record, why would they want to change their name? the Whitecaps have a strong following and a strong history with the name Whitecaps.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Ok, I will be clearer. When I say Asians, I meant EAST ASIANS like Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese... etc. Also, you're telling me that hockey is bigger than soccer in Asia ? lol

and yes, hockey attracts more CAUCASIANS (as in white people). You don't think most of the hockey fans and players are all Caucasians ? Please don't make my comment sound like some racist statement
What does 'race' have to do with it? Hockey tends to attract people who grow up or live in countries in which hockey is the predominant sport, regardless of whether those people are German, Japanese, Kenyan or Indian (just like soccer tends to attract people where it is the predominant sport - which is almost everywhere).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation