HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 3:30 PM

There is healthy summertime traffic on the bridge, so a seasonal venue would make the most sense. Six months a year of market rate rent is better than nothing... open it up from April 15 to October 15 and make it available for special events in the offseason.

...but if a F&B venue won't work, then turn it into a city museum!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 11:37 PM

This may be old news but there is quite an interesting little Japanese restaurant and gift shop in the former Stepping Out building on Provencher. I have been told it is one of the only such restaurants in Winnipeg run by Japanese rather than Koreans. It has a goofy Hello Kitty motif but it is fun. If you go, you must order the Japanese pancake, with pork (which turns out to be bacon). It's phenomenal. Wish I knew the menu name, but they know it as a pancake. Other food has been good too and the service is fine. It's called Dwarf no Cachette, or something like that. I understand Riel corp now owns the building and the small one immediately next door to the west. I think they hope to consolidate them and the vacant property next door into a hotel development, so I think the restaurant is on a short term lease and hasn't really pumped much money into it.
I go to this place and the Chinese spot across the street (good chicken) as often as I can. The food is good, I like to see young people succeed and, like others have noted here, the francophone community is so parochial they will not support these perceived "outsiders". Then they complain about a lack of development. I have to admit it drives me crazy at times.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 8:00 PM

Rumors Dave & Buster's Is Coming To Winnipeg

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
Rumors Dave & Buster's Is Coming To Winnipeg
It'll be interesting what happens then since Cineplex is gonna be bringing essentially the same thing here (they already have a massive, licensed Playdium in Toronto).

Also, can't give any info on these yet — but I know of three lounges opening in the West Exchange in the next 4 months. One of them is very secret still, I can't say where yet, but it should become apparent fairly soon.

Gonna need some more ppl living there ASAP to keep all these places alive, especially if the night parking BS happens. I know it's slightly off topic, but I think night parking can come, but it's gotta wait a couple more years until the Exchange is really thriving nightly and despite weather.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It'll be interesting what happens then since Cineplex is gonna be bringing essentially the same thing here (they already have a massive, licensed Playdium in Toronto).

Also, can't give any info on these yet — but I know of three lounges opening in the West Exchange in the next 4 months. One of them is very secret still, I can't say where yet, but it should become apparent fairly soon.

Gonna need some more ppl living there ASAP to keep all these places alive, especially if the night parking BS happens. I know it's slightly off topic, but I think night parking can come, but it's gotta wait a couple more years until the Exchange is really thriving nightly and despite weather.
The "night parking" is only for the SHED.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 1:19 PM

Dwarf no Cachette Cafe & Gift is a great place for non-sushi Japanese food.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 2:44 PM

^ Where is it ?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Where is it ?
North side o Provencher near Tache. Funny purple building that used to be Stepping Out. Right beside the boarded up empty lot.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 3:42 PM

Boom on Broadway

Boom on Broadway
Restaurants, coffee shops adding to street's delights

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...292160261.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray McNeill
A growing cluster of restaurants and coffee shops is emerging along Broadway, one of Winnipeg's most picturesque downtown streets.

With the opening of a new sandwich deli last month -- Nick's on Broadway -- and the opening next month of a new coffee/beer/wine bar -- Fools & Horses -- there will be at least a dozen eateries on or just off Broadway between Main and Osborne streets.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Boom on Broadway
Restaurants, coffee shops adding to street's delights

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...292160261.html
Nice to see more in the area. I moved out of that neighbourhood a little over 5 years ago, but I always thought it was a bit odd that for all the people who worked and lived around there, there were not that many places to eat or drink nearby, especially after hours. That has definitely changed... it's great to see.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 12:56 AM

Funny that the article ignores Cafe 22. It's the only place around there where you can grab a drink at night. Hopefully Fools and Horses isn't terrible.

What the area really needs is some kind of nucleus to develop a critical mass. Tons of people live nearby, but there isn't enough open in the evening for anyone to even think about going out in their own neighborhood. Even Cafe 22 is very quiet. It's close enough to Osborne that most people just seem to go there. A large and popular neighborhood pub at Donald at Broadway would go a long way towards getting people out.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Funny that the article ignores Cafe 22. It's the only place around there where you can grab a drink at night. Hopefully Fools and Horses isn't terrible.

What the area really needs is some kind of nucleus to develop a critical mass. Tons of people live nearby, but there isn't enough open in the evening for anyone to even think about going out in their own neighborhood. Even Cafe 22 is very quiet. It's close enough to Osborne that most people just seem to go there. A large and popular neighborhood pub at Donald at Broadway would go a long way towards getting people out.
The Pint is very close and seems to be a popular spot.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 5:39 AM

It's not close enough though. Something like The Pint within a block of Broadway and Donald would capture the residents south of Broadway in a way that the Pint can't. As it is, the Windsor and Club 200 are close to The Pint and are both somewhat popular but don't make a difference to Broadway's pedestrian traffic.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 5:55 AM
BANNED

Sad to see this go, nice couple and solid food (breakfast and lunch only)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-business-indu...ale/1048807613

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 12:37 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

He looked like crap last time I was in there. Could be he is ill. Very nice people.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 7:52 PM

Well Looks like It Wendy's Is Making Return Portage Avenue Will Take Over Old A&W Location 3095 Portage Avenue

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Sad to see this go, nice couple and solid food (breakfast and lunch only)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-business-indu...ale/1048807613
I was there once. Good burgers. Hopefully the new owners hire some staff. Half hour is a little long to wait for a hamburger on top on the ten minute wait to get served.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 8:10 PM

latest Request for Expressions of Interest for the Lease of the Esplanade Riel Facility is now out. http://www.winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/Folder...2015&YEAR=2015

Wonder what we are going to see if anything go in there now?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 5:16 AM

I nearly fell over today walking past Pizza Hotline "Coming Soon" in Winnipeg Square today as it looked like they were training staff. That said the nearly two year time since the sign first went up has me questioning if the place will ever open, at least until I can order something in person and have it served to me at the location.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 2:09 AM
I am a typical

I walked by there the other day and thought it had closed, lol.

The Greek place in the food court at Winnipeg Square was pretty good, better than the new Greek chain that opened in our mall a few months ago. We went there for breakfast because everything else along the Skywalk between that at the Delta was either closed, or available in Thunder Bay. We passed like 3 Robin'ses, it was like stepping back into the 1990s with the density of Robin'ses.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan