HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 9:51 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post
That big "Good Morning" shot is actually one of the nicest London pictures I've seen in ages, haljackey. I've always thought London's downtown is best seen from within downtown itself and your shot is a perfect example of that. Good stuff.

And to keep this skyline business rollin, here is an ugly picture of London-Town from the Adelaide overpass:

Ugh, why do you torture me! I have to look at those ugly apartment towers on the east end of downtown every day!

Oh, and nice video Kokkei Mizu!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 1:49 AM

I'll throw a couple of my own into the mix:

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 1:53 AM
The Vomit Bag.

that first one is great.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 1:55 PM

Wellington Street, 1979

Found these last night...

Chuck Lahickey

Chuck Lahickey

Chuck Lahickey

And, just for MolsonExport...

Luke Olszewski

Last edited by manny_santos; Apr 9, 2011 at 3:13 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 3:19 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Found these last night...

Chuck Lahickey

Chuck Lahickey

Luke Olszewski
Great finds!

I can't seem to recognize any of those buildings in the first one, accept for London Life way at the back!

Is that the TD building on the right side of the second one? I thought it wasn't built untill the late 80's.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
Great finds!

I can't seem to recognize any of those buildings in the first one, except for London Life way at the back!
The building with the TD sign on the top is still there, but it's harder to see now from a distance now because of Citi Plaza. I'm guessing the Dominion building was demolished in the late 80s, after Dominion was bought out by A&P.

The other interesting thing in the photo is the old-school traffic signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
Is that the TD building on the right side of the second one? I thought it wasn't built untill the late 80's.
That was completed around 1973, and for a time was the corporate headquarters of Canada Trust.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 7:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

WOW!!! CTB! way back in the day. Still on the buses.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 9:15 PM

Quite the sight! Wellington underpass not ravaged by potholes and crackheads.

Awesome pics, London of another era

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 4:14 AM
Sanity merchant

Love those old pics

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 4:55 AM
Londoner

At is cool!!!!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Good Morning London!

just so you know...this photo now is my desktop at work here.

Ah home..nothing will ever replace you London.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 1:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^the view in Chilliwack is pretty good (mountains, that is, not skyline). I spent 5 years living in BC.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 10:00 PM
User Registered

Heres a few pics from me taken over the past couple days.

431 Richmond Street: the new office/retail development under construction.

Highway 401 descending into the Dorchester Swamp in Dorchester, Ontario.

St. Paul's church in downtown London.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^the view in Chilliwack is pretty good (mountains, that is, not skyline). I spent 5 years living in BC.
Nope, definitely not a bad very... I get to drive home to this everyday:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...,91.29,,0,6.66

Old Posted Apr 16, 2011, 2:18 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

Just a little taste of Old East from today.

This row of buildings looks to be in need of serious repair. Also, notice the creepy manikin in the top left window!

Gotta love the storefront with the giant Canada flag!

I'm very interested in the dynamic of Old East, and It's great to see signs of improvement in this little eastern downtown.

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n596/Simpseatles/

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 12:54 AM
Urban Fanactic

Heres some pictures I took of London on my drive from Sault Ste. Marie to Hamilton yesterday.

Old Posted May 13, 2011, 6:01 AM

Wow, that old pic of wellington Square sure takes me back.
Back then downtown was packed and Wellington Square and the infamous Simpson's at Dundas & Richmond were the place to be. That was when the Capitol and Century were the big theaters in the city and downtown was packed every Friday and Saturday night.
When looking at that pic of the Renn you realize what a monster it is! Out here in Vancouver is buildings are VERY slender.
If the Renn was in downtown Vancouver it would be the largest skyscraper in the entire downtown and I'm not joking. Vancouver not only has a height ceiling but a footprint sealing as well and has had for decades to protect the "corridor view". This is why Toronto's core doesn't have as many condos as Vancouve's but has more people. It is also one of the many reasons why real estate is so high here. On average one 40 story condo in downtown Toronto has the same number of units as 2 30 story downtown Vancouver condo towers. The Renn would be a monster out here.
I think that the new Richmond/Carling development is one of the most important in the city. It is just a mid size structure but it's impact will be profound. It finally means the end of that small but gaping hole on Richmond which acts as the unofficial barrier between downtown and RR. Now they will flow into each other in a pedestrian friendly way. Even one small block of distance can make a huge effect on pedestrian flow and people's views of a certain area. Another example is Wellington just south of the tracks....going under the subway is just a 100 meters but seems and feels like another world.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 4:42 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Dwils: Lucky you actually got some decent weather.

Fark, is the weather bad here this spring or what?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 11:30 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

I went for a walk downtown to enjoy some of the great weather today, and tried my best at taking some pictures! My camera isn't the best, and I have no experience in photography, but I'm getting interested in it. So if you have any suggestions after, please let me know!

Very intrigued by this building. Sorry about the reflection!

Hope you enjoyed them!

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n596/Simpseatles/

Old Posted Jun 2, 2011, 1:45 PM
The Vomit Bag.

nice. You must really like the concrete behemouths of the TD-trust towers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Area Photos & Videos