HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:03 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Great post. Thanks for putting all that together.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:31 PM

^Exciting times! Hopefully the trend continues, especially with the lower CDN dollar, we better be making the most of it and attracting the most tourist dollars possible.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 8:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Didn't realize my post started a new page. Here's cool's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcanadian View Post
It has been a great year for tourism in Toronto! Whether we like it or not, the world is starting to discover Toronto as the great city that it is.

Toronto was ranked one of the best cities to visit in 2015 by lonely planet and Vaycay.ca. There have also been many articles promoting Toronto's coolness recently!

There have also been articles in the NY Times, French newspapers, and others promoting the city recently.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 11:35 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Great news all around for tourism in Canada.

Having lived abroad for 12 years, I get to play tourist when visiting Canada, and it's great. Coming from China, Canada (well, I only ever get to come back to BC, unfortunately) is like a breath of fresh air ....literally. Everything is so pristine, and well kept, service is fantastic, food is delicious, and the weather (in the summer, anyway) is perfect.

I know this may not seem too impressive to all of you living in Canada, but after spending months on end in one of the countless Asian megacities, being able to see this after a 40 minute drive from the airport is jaw-dropping.

cruise by matteroffact, on Flickr

cake by matteroffact, on Flickr

bob ross by matteroffact, on Flickr

grown by matteroffact, on Flickr

Ah, man, I love me some Canada. I really need to move back.

Last edited by giallo; Feb 12, 2015 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2015, 2:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Apr 1, 2015 at 1:27 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 1:28 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Small island, big plans
Battle Harbour, Labrador is reinventing itself as a tourist destination to rival New York or Paris. Here's what they're doing to stand out in the crowd

(Bit overdone as an intro, I think, )

Quote:
If Gutrid Hutchings has her way, people will start streaming into Battle Harbour like they did back in the 1800s and early 1900s, when cod was king and the small island (1km x .5km) was the unofficial capital of Labrador.

Huchings is chair and managing director of the Battle Harbour Historic Trust Inc. She was invited by the government in 2012 to lead the revitalized board, and to review and implement the business framework for Battle Harbour, previously mapped out by PFK Consultants, an international firm with hospitality/tourism expertise.

Battle Harbour is where Robert Peary transmitted a story from the Marconi Station to The New York Times in 1909, claiming he had reached the North Pole. Journalists flocked there to get the full story. It’s also where Dr. Wilfred Grenfell set up the first hospital in Labrador, and where numerous original historic buildings are still standing — including St. James the Apostle Church, designed by William Grey, noted ecclesiastical architect of the mid-1880s.

After the resettlement in the late 1960s and early 1970s, most residents were relocated to the mainland. Neglect took its toll; buildings, wharves, and flakes began to deteriorate. With the birth of the Battle Harbour Historic Trust Inc. (BHHT) in 1990, an ambitious restoration plan got underway.

In 1997, Parks Canada designated Battle Harbour as one of Canada’s National Historic Districts, and it’s the only National Historic Site in Canada where travellers can hunker down for the night. (Note the dual designation.) But it couldn’t rest on its historic laurels or laudable restoration efforts. Battle Harbour needed more paying customers to make it viable.
http://www.atlanticbusinessmagazine....land-big-plans

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:49 PM

Here's a new Hamilton promo video by Tourism Hamilton:

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 3:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Love this story - and they're so cute. Last year for Pride they had men's underwear in rainbow colours on their clotheslines.

And I love that Maclean's actually gets that we have a handful of old communities that are quite old and beautiful, while the rest are more modern and just typical rural hubs.

Saving Bonavista’s architectural treasures, one building at a time

Quote:
John Norman is the sort of hometown boy of which all good burghers dream. He didn’t grow up to find the old neighbourhood too small for his ambitions and to quit it for the Big Smoke. He went away to school, got bachelor’s degrees in science and education, and returned to remote Bonavista, N.L., with a mission hatched in his youth: to tend to his roots. He’s sat on council. He’s president of the chamber of commerce and the Bonavista Horticultural Society; he’s a figure-skating coach and heads more than a dozen different organizations or committees. And he runs a company, Bonavista Living, whose business is restoring his hometown’s remarkable built heritage.

Bonavista is one of Newfoundland’s grand old towns, situated near the end of a peninsula extending 85 km from Newfoundland’s northeast coast, pointing toward Greenland. (Icebergs calved there can be seen passing in the hundreds every spring.) It’s purported to be the landfall of the Venetian explorer and mountebank Zuan Chabotto (a.k.a. John Cabot), though the historical record shows with more certainty that Basque, Breton, English and Norman fishers started establishing seasonal stations there in the early 1500s.

Unlike most ports in Newfoundland, Bonavista isn’t backed up against steep hills or cliffs, so its houses are spread across a coastal plain without mind to the unforeseen coming of the automobile. The town’s architectural glories are the many halls, churches and family homes constructed by “master builders” between 1880 and 1910. A luckless century later, many of those hand-hewn wooden treasures had fallen into disrepair. A recent real estate listing showed a dilapidated home for $2,000.
Quote:
At 29, Norman is fit and trim, dark in an Iberian way, as if he were from Canaille, Bonavista’s one-time Portuguese quarter. There’s something steampunk about the man and his enterprise: microchips governing a Victorian machine. Pardy jokes that he should be driving a Model T—but it would have to be a hybrid rigged out with Bluetooth and autonomous parking. He gets away with a bowtie as few men under 50 can, and his sealskin ankle boots flirt with dandyism.
Quote:
Putting that obsession to use, Norman began offering tours of historic Bonavista. During one such circuit in the summer of 2013, the enthusiasm he displayed so convinced Mark and Chantal Dickson that the holidaying Louisiana couple bought themselves a house in town. They soon fell for the place and its people. Mark Dickson is a principal at a 170-year-old family-owned pharmaceutical distributor, Morris & Dickson, an institution of Shreveport, La., and of its sister company, Sports South, one of the largest and oldest distributors of firearms and ammunition in the U.S. The Dicksons are well-heeled. Seeing the need to restore other properties, and seizing an opportunity to acquire them at a modest cost, they proposed partnering in a business with Norman. They would bring considerable cash, and Norman, his knowledge and boundless energy.

Outsiders with deep pockets buying up properties in town was bound to attract the attention of wary locals. And some in town came to imagine their properties were worth more than the market would bear—though the market settled that. Still, most fears were allayed early on, when it became clear Norman was driving the project, and his aims, and the Dicksons’, were not to make a museum or a twee summer getaway, but to fashion a place people call home—or, better, “the office,” “the shop,” or “the studio”—and to do so in February, when the surf pounding the breakwater and freezing spray reminds you this tough old seaport could never be Mayberry.
Quote:
Bonavista’s inventory of heritage properties—more than a thousand of them—is second only to that of its one-time commercial rival, St. John’s. Waye calls Bonavista “a big town for a small town.” The greater goal is not increasing property values. It’s about restoring the pride of purpose to the town as much as it is about period ornaments above the dormers. “If I didn’t know this town’s history,” says Norman, “I wouldn’t know who I am.” And history, from the first Great War in Europe to the changes that came with Confederation and, finally, the collapse of the cod fishery— knocked the stuffing out of Bonavista. When the big houses fell into disrepair, mature trees in their gardens were cut down. The town sight was denuded, stark.

As it turns out, the benign neglect was sometimes a hidden blessing: Without an urgency to replace or rebuild, original features were left where they lay. Some were covered, clad in vinyl siding—“disguised heritage” buildings. Others, like the one Joseph Strathie designed and built in 1902 for the prosperous fisherman Henry Tremblett, now being brought back to life by Norman, were peeled and dulled, but of such craftsmanship and solid construction, they never bent, even with their faces to the gale.
http://www.macleans.ca/society/the-baron-of-bonavista/

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Apr 4, 2015 at 3:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
Here's a new Hamilton promo video by Tourism Hamilton:

Video Link

Cool video, and I love the song "Living in the Sun" By Koushik

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 4:07 PM
Utilisateur enregistré

As you may already know (or not), the Eastern Townships are renowned for the spectacle we can enjoy every fall. Of course, leaves turning red/orange/yellow are not unique to our region, but I believe the combination of colours and short mountains is what makes it so popular among Quebecers from all across the province.

A few days ago, I went to Mount Pinacle, several dozens ou kilometers south of Sherbrooke and about two kilometers north of the border. Parking your car here (instead of closer to the park entrance) gives you the opportunity to see ruins that attest the early settlement of the region. For example, this dam was built in the Niger river at the beginning of the last century to regulate the water level of the nearby fish farm. It was abandoned in the 50s.

L'automne au mont Pinacle, Coaticook by lake of the nations, on Flickr

This small wall is actually all what's left of a 19th century mill.

Those belonged to what was first a cheese factory (until 1897) and later housed workers from the nearby sawmill. Despite its breakdown in 1948 (due to several landslides that occurred when the nearby road was built), the remains of the building are still there.

What really sets apart Mount Pinacle is however its bare top, bordered by a steep cliff that plunges into the lake 200 m below.

The lakes in the background are on the other side of the border, in Vermont.

In the foreground, the hamlet of Balwin Mills (which is now part of Coaticook) can be seen. Mount Orford appears in the background.

Mount Orford again, this time seen from Sherbrooke.

Rock Forest et le mont Orford, tels que vus de l'Université de Sherbrooke by lake of the nations, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 8:13 PM

Gorgeous. Fall in North Eastern North America is spectacular, especially when you get the viewing vistas like you do in the townships.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 8:25 PM

^ Spectacular... photo #3 is lovely. I could gaze at that view from Mont Pinacle for hours.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 8:31 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Some of the articles in the UK over the past week or two about us.

Canada's cool and quirky Newfoundland may become your new favourite destination

Patrick Purcell heads to the rugged, independent-minded island in Eastern Canada and finds much to like from the wildlife to the unusual beer

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/tr...become-6948398

An expat's tale: 'Newfoundlanders are very accepting people'

British expat David Ellis and his partner fell in love with Newfoundland and Labrador after visiting several summers in a row. Now the two are claiming a stake in Canada’s burgeoning field-to-plate foodie movement

http://www.theguardian.com/explore-c...cepting-people

Walking Newfoundland's Skerwink trail with John Fisher

When hotelier John Fisher first arrived on Canada’s far eastern shore and walked the Skerwink Trail he knew he had found some kind of heaven, so he stayed – smart move

http://www.theguardian.com/explore-c...th-john-fisher

A tasting tour of some of St. John’s top field-to-plate restaurants

Fine local produce, a dedication to field-to-plate eating and a clutch of talented chefs have well and truly put Newfoundland and Labrador on the culinary map

http://www.theguardian.com/explore-c...te-restaurants

In St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador, the locals are the tour guides

It took only half an hour for Dominic Wells to find his personal tour guide – and drinking buddy – on a memorable visit to Newfoundland and Labrador’s colourful capital

http://www.theguardian.com/explore-c...he-tour-guides

Welcome to St. John’s, where the food and friendly locals do all the talking

Once known for its quaint, chocolate box-pretty vistas, Newfoundland and Labrador is now home to Canada’s number one restaurant and a friendly capital that knows how to have a good time

http://www.theguardian.com/explore-c...ll-the-talking

In Newfoundland's Fishers' Loft, Canada's field-to-plate movement finds a home

For a restaurant that lies on the edge of Canada’s far eastern coast, Fishers’ Loft has experienced its fair share of starry glamour. But here, it’s the food that takes centre stage

http://www.theguardian.com/explore-c...t-finds-a-home

Welcome to Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada's east coast hideaway

Canada’s east coast has breathtaking scenery, a surprising history and a food scene that’s as bright as the stars overhead

http://www.theguardian.com/explore-c...coast-hideaway

Newfoundland and Labrador’s fine food and friendly locals – in pictures

Photographer Greg Funnell finds stunning views, samples the best local food and meets the famed friendly locals of Newfoundland and Labrador

http://www.theguardian.com/explore-c...ls-in-pictures

Finding the perfect pizza on Newfoundland's Bonavista peninsula

The farm-to-plate movement has no keener advocate than Katie Hayes, whose tiny Bonavista Social Club is a big noise on the Canadian foodie scene

http://www.theguardian.com/explore-c...ista-peninsula

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 9:36 PM

Looks like the Canadian Tourism Commission is really shelling out for the space! Some nice articles though!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 6:31 PM

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 6:36 PM

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
I had no idea about Solvang. Interesting.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 9:23 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I had no idea about Solvang. Interesting.
Unfortunately it is not

It's only value is as a launching point to the Ynez mtns, escaping the Hitching Post in Buellton or grabing a bite to eat on the way to Neverland.

I can't imagine what world anyone would be in to rank it higher than Quebec City

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 6:41 PM

According to Euromonitor International, 2 Canadian cities make the top 100 list of international tourist arrivals for 2014.

Toronto's at #55. Vancouver's at #88. Both cities experienced strong growth over 2013 (6.9% and 7.8% respectively).

American cities that beat Toronto are New York (#8), Miami (#18), Las Vegas (#22), Los Angeles (#29), Orlando (#34), and San Francisco (#52).

Surprisingly, Montreal did not make the list.

Top 100 City Destinations Ranking
Euromonitor International
Jan 28 2016
http://blog.euromonitor.com/2016/01/...king-2016.html

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:46 PM

Newfoundland's newest colour drenched tourism ad. This one is great as it shows some places off the beaten path like Rose Blanche, Black Duck Brook, and Flower's Cove rather than the same images of the same dozen or so communities around St. John's that appear in every other ad. First 45 seconds seem mostly from western NL, the second 45 seconds is from the Avalon.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada