HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 12:49 AM

Governments routinely build entire new stadiums to attract and keep teams. But for some reason, when it's preserving an old stadium for a far lower cost, people are up in arms? It makes no sense.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
Governments routinely build entire new stadiums to attract and keep teams. But for some reason, when it's preserving an old stadium for a far lower cost, people are up in arms? It makes no sense.
No, this makes perfect sense:

1) This is a guy who bought the team for $900m and now expects handouts for construction? He should have priced this in if it's such a big burden that he can't handle it himself. It's insulting to come to the government a mere year after the purchase asking for help. Does he think we're idiots, or is he an idiot for failing to do due diligence? It's one or the other (or maybe both) and either way, the answer isn't good.

2) The proposed plan is WAY more than merely preserving a landmark --- it also includes a great deal of stadium modifications and new construction that will increase his revenue . This would be much different if he were asking for state-backed bonds for the specific purpose of $X million for rehabilitation of the stadiums structural elements to ensure safety and stability for this heritage landmark for decades to come. But no; this is asking for the government to carry his business risk while letting him reap any upside reward: it's unethical and insulting.

Here's an idea: Rather than a bond issue, sell a percentage of the enterprise itself to ISFA, and let the government he's trying to fleece get a share of the new revenue it would be enabling.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 7:40 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

ESPN Chicago

Updated: November 20, 2010, 11:54 AM ET

One end zone for offense at Wrigley

AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast
Whichever team is on offense Saturday will head toward the west [left] end zone.

Quote:
Only one end zone will be used for offense Saturday at Wrigley Field for the Illinois-Northwestern game because of safety concerns, the Big Ten announced Friday, and the Chicago Cubs said the decision caught them by surprise.

NCAA rules state the field dimensions must have adequate space surrounding the playing surface: "Limit lines shall be marked ... 12 feet outside the sidelines and the end lines, except in stadiums where total field surface does not permit. In these stadiums, the limit lines shall not be less than 6 feet from the sidelines and end lines."

Wrigley's east end zone is a few feet away from the right-field wall, and although there is padding, there were concerns players could be injured there.

Entire Article Below:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nc...ory?id=5824661

©2010 ESPN Internet Ventures.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 12:49 AM
Chicago carpetbagger

I hope that any refurb of Wrigley allows them the ability of a proper football configuration. The park has a rich history of football, it would be a shame for them not to make some sort of effort to be flexible for it.

The Northwestern/Illinois game was a huge hit. I'd like it to be played there every year.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 3:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChicago View Post
I hope that any refurb of Wrigley allows them the ability of a proper football configuration. The park has a rich history of football, it would be a shame for them not to make some sort of effort to be flexible for it.

The Northwestern/Illinois game was a huge hit. I'd like it to be played there every year.
unless there is some significant remodeling done to accommodate a football field (which will not happen), i don't see football ever being played at wrigley again. (i hope i'm wrong)

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 7:59 AM
TL;DR

Quote:

Not gonna happen (sadly). Making the field work safely for football would mean enlarging the field at the expense of profit-earning seats.

The only reason it worked for the Bears in the first place is because the NFL was willing to overlook the deficiencies of Wrigley, since the Bears had no other home.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 7:11 AM
TL;DR

excuse the thread revival, but this needed to be posted.

Quote:
Wrigley Field Supporters Propose Tearing Down Rest Of Chicago
The Onion
May 25, 2012 | ISSUE 48•22

CHICAGO—A coalition of die-hard Cubs fans and Wrigley Field supporters introduced a drastic proposal at a Chicago city council meeting Tuesday, angrily calling for the demolition of the expensive, obsolete, 175-year-old city surrounding the beloved ballpark.

"It's truly a travesty that a hallowed franchise of Major League Baseball is still playing in a dilapidated city that should have been replaced decades ago," said lead organizer Keith Garrison, addressing the assembly in a Ryne Sandberg jersey. "I'm sure that to some of its more hardcore fans, Chicago has some charm in an antiquated way. But the greatest baseball team and fans in the world deserve something better than this dump."

"That whole Chicago area around Wrigley is decrepit and, if we're being honest, just plain ugly. Frankly, I just don't understand why we should hang on to the past," said Cubs season ticket holder Mark Barger. "I've never been a big fan of the skyline. We should get rid of it and put up some sleek, contemporary buildings that aren't so gaudy, something that doesn't look like it was built in a hurry in the late 1970s."

"Also, they should remove that tacky water feature," added Barger, indicating the Chicago River. "It's right in the way of everything and old and gross and nobody even uses it."

The majority of fans lobbying for the demolition of the third-most populous city in the United States also objected to the fact that Chicago lacks a retractable dome that could be closed on days with bad weather. Others criticized the area outside of Wrigley Field for being too cramped and deficient in decent seating, pointing out that, during the winter months and while the Cubs were on road swings, the city went largely unused anyway.

Although Wrigley Field adherents acknowledged that tearing down the city of Chicago would be a colossal endeavor, the dedicated Cubs fans recommended accomplishing the task in small increments, starting with imploding U.S. Cellular Field and then bulldozing what remains of the South Side.

The plan to tear down Chicago, sources confirmed, was surprisingly popular with people from other cities in the region.

"I hate that fucking thing," said Milwaukee resident Tim Rach. "It's such a shithole. It's expensive, the beer sucks, the food is overrated, and they're total assholes to visitors."

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 12:10 PM
The City

^

I love this line:

Quote:
"Also, they should remove that tacky water feature," added Barger, indicating the Chicago River. "It's right in the way of everything and old and gross and nobody even uses it."

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 5:43 PM

Gotta love The Onion. Technically, it is the largest national news source out of Chicago...
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 7:44 PM
BANNED

Haha. Wonderful!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:

Believe they moved home, first and third base seating in around mid-2000s thus the mishap with Illinois-Northwestern game.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 5:43 AM
dream fast

Ronny...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 10:08 PM

Landmarks commission approves moving Wrigley wall

Quote:
The Commission on Chicago Landmarks' permit review committee on Thursday approved the Cubs' plan to move the brick wall at Wrigley Field three feet closer to home plate to install 56 prime box seats.

As for the new seats, the landmark committee voted 5-1 in favor of the Cubs' plan, which takes more away from the foul area behind home plate seven years after three rows were installed that lost 10 feet. The Cubs will be able to sell the new seats as season tickets for more than $200 per game.

"If they move (the wall) in it may eliminate a little bit guys trying to score on a passed ball," Cubs catcher Steve Clevenger said. "We've got to take advantage of that. There could be some disadvantages on our part, but I don't see anything wrong. It shouldn't affect anything."

One section of the wall near the Cubs' dugout will be converted to movable seats so the team can fit a football field into Wrigley Field to entice college teams to play there.

Northwestern and Illinois met in 2010 but had to play offense in the same direction because the configuration forced one end zone too close to the outfield walls, which was deemed a safety hazard. The Cubs hope to get Northwestern or Notre Dame to agree to move a home game there.

The committee also approved plans to add two new ComEd electrical vaults at the roof level over the right- and left-field grandstand seats to increase electrical capacity for the stadium. Parts of the ballpark will be shut down this winter for installation.

Tunney Proposes Plan For Wrigley Field Rooftop Clubs To Hang Ads

Quote:
While plans for renovating Wrigley Field remain in limbo, Ald. Tom Tunney (44th) is proposing a plan that would allow the rooftop clubs surrounding the Friendly Confines to hang advertising above their rooftops.
Tunney told the Sun-Times the plan, which would require a change in the ordinance allowing rooftop clubs to do business, is “breaking [new] ground” and could be mutually beneficial for both the rooftop clubs and the Cubs. "My job is to try to forge a solid relationship with the businesses that need Wrigley and Wrigley needs the businesses. It’s a symbiotic relationship. I’m trying to navigate that,” said Tunney.
But it would be more beneficial for the rooftop clubs, which have had problems in recent years filling those seats as the Cubs’ fortunes have declined. Rooftop club owners are also the primary source of Tunney’s campaign cash, accounting for 10 percent of all the funds he’s raised since he became alderman nine years ago—a symbiotic relationship, indeed.
Gold Coast Tickets owner Max Waisvisz, who owns the Sheffield Baseball Club, Wrigley Field Rooftop Club and Ivy League Baseball Club, told Chicago Real Estate Daily’s Danny Ecker revenue was down 12 percent last season. Rooftop clubs are contracted to funnel 17 percent of their revenue to the Cubs, so the advertising proposal is obviously a way for them to make up for the lost revenue.
Tunney wouldn't tell the Sun-Times if the Cubs would get a piece of the advertising pie, if the plan is approved. Tunney has also expressed reservations with the stalled Wrigley renovation plan proposed by Mayor Rahm Emanuel that would allow the Cubs to raise revenue for renovating the ballpark by relaxing its landmark status so the team can leverage sponsorship and advertising agreements. Tunney said rooftop club owners are afraid the Cubs would erect ads that would obstruct the clubs’ views of the game.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 8:21 AM
The Moon Rulez! #1

It's not up to Tunney whether or not the Cubs get a piece of any additional advertising revenue. It's already part of the roof top owners contract with the Cubs, they recieve 17% of all ticket revenues and 13% of all advertising revenues. This is what they agreed to when the Cubs tried to block their views 10 years ago and they collectively settled on this arrangement.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 10:18 AM
The Moon Rulez! #1

Wrigley Field: Hotel planned near Cubs' ball park

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,4608342.story

In addition to the plan for the hotel on the Northwest corner of Clark & Addison which is owned by the Ricketts family, they are releasing new renderings of proposed future renovations and expansions of the stadium today at the Cub convention at the Sheraton Hotel.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 10:15 PM

I haven't come across images yet (or the video), but here is a great play by play of the news conference earlier today at the convention: http://vineline.mlblogs.com/2013/01/...wrigley-field/

Interesting points:

The alignment/pitch of the seating bowl will not be altered
Both the lower and upper level platforms will be completely rebuilt
Only 100~ seats will be added total
The facade will be restored to its 1935 appearance
Additional outdoor concessions areas servicing the upper deck
Expanded player facilities will be state of the art
Restroom capacity will be increased by 42%
Concourses will be expanded
Possible patio space in left field (ala right field)

$300m price tag
5 year time frame, all construction in offseasons

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 10:33 PM
TL;DR

Interesting. 1930s Wrigley Field wasn't that different from today. It just didn't have those awful concrete panels on the Addison side, and instead of chainlink fencing it had some very nice wrought iron.

Is the Captain Morgan Club gonna get axed? Please?

src

src

Last edited by ardecila; Jan 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Is the Captain Morgan Club gonna get axed? Please?
Oh dear god I hope so. Hopefully they make some space for it within the stadium structure itself and we can rid ourselves of that abomination.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 10:55 PM
TL;DR

Ricketts is now claiming that, without certain "restrictions", he can finance the renovations without taxpayer money. Seems like he's referring to advertisements, more night games, and concerts.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 11:26 PM

Crain's tumblr has photos.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development