HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 8:21 PM
Closed account

Historic Maps of Calgary

I wasn't sure if this is the right place, but here goes.

I have been doing some research recently, and I have come across some great old maps of Calgary, that I think others might want to see too.

This is the oldest one I have seen so far, it dates from March 1891
Click here for a VERY Hi-Res version

This is a conceptual plan done in 1913 of Calgary, by city planner Thomas Mawson:

With a stunning collection of drawings and photographs here
http://caa.ucalgary.ca/mawson Including this rendering of the approach to Prince's Island (Yes, this IS Calgary!):

This is a map of the proposed Parkway in 1963, that would have seen the CPR mainline run along the river with a freeway beside it. Also, the further development of CPR lands downtown:

This is a rendering of what roads City planners in 1968 thought would be built by 1986:

And this is a study of the SW Ring Road in 1977, with 12 alignments options through the Tsuu T'ina lands:

If anyone has any other historical maps, I would love to see them, as I hope others would too.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 8:24 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Much of this has been posted here before, but THIS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 8:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Much of this has been posted here before, but THIS!
I know, but they were in lots of different places, so I thought it might make a better resource by having it all in one place, and putting a call out for people who have interesting historical images and maps of Calgary.

If you like that image (!) there is lots more in that linked archive

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 4:36 AM
REALTOR

I love the conceptual plan from 1913. not including the highway through downtown.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 2:34 PM

The Mawson plans for Calgary were pretty bold, it's really too bad they didn't happen. I wonder what this city would have been like if they followed those.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 7:54 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
The Mawson plans for Calgary were pretty bold, it's really too bad they didn't happen. I wonder what this city would have been like if they followed those.
The North-Central LRT line debate would be a lot different, for one...

All those grid-breaking diagonal roads would make LRT building a lot easier.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 11:10 PM
IMHO

National Archives has a lot of good stuff

I got curious and revisited the national archives to see if they had anymore good material. Some of my original collection is from there, I've posted the interesting maps below; along with some new ones I found online.

Here's a pdf from the National Archives showing a compilation by Harrison and Ponton in 1911 of current and future development planned for Calgary at the time. Interesting to see what was kept, moved and never made it in terms of district names. Also of interest you may miss, the thick dash-dot black lines show current and proposed street car lines of the day. Certainly shows an optimism about growth that would not bee seen again until the post WWII oil booms.

Here'sanother pdf, date unknown, but I would estimate early 30's based on the city border of the day and Glenmore dam listing which was completed in 1933. This map also shows a lot of streets that never would be built in the manner listed.

Lastly, here's an earlier image, the earliest thing I can find from 1883 showing the plan for tsp 24, rng 1 W5, as per the description Wish they had a bigger version of this one that I could read!

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 11:23 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post

Here's a pdf from the National Archives showing a compilation by Harrison and Ponton in 1911 of current and future development planned for Calgary at the time. Interesting to see what was kept, moved and never made it in terms of district names. Also of interest you may miss, the thick dash-dot black lines show current and proposed street car lines of the day. Certainly shows an optimism about growth that would not bee seen again until the post WWII oil booms.
The best is The Bronx

Old Posted May 28, 2011, 4:26 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I got curious and revisited the national archives to see if they had anymore good material. Some of my original collection is from there, I've posted the interesting maps below; along with some new ones I found online.

Here'sanother pdf, date unknown, but I would estimate early 30's based on the city border of the day and Glenmore dam listing which was completed in 1933. This map also shows a lot of streets that never would be built in the manner listed.

Lastly, here's an earlier image, the earliest thing I can find from 1883 showing the plan for tsp 24, rng 1 W5, as per the description Wish they had a bigger version of this one that I could read!
Those are awesome, thanks for sharing!

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 5:07 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Wish they had a bigger version of this one that I could read!
My attempt at the description follows the image.

During the summer of 1883, while the CPR tracks were being laid near Calgary, the area was surveyed for the Dominion government by C. E. Lorne. Settlers at that time included [can't make it out - too many names, not enough context]. At the confluence of the rivers where the NWMP fort and Hudson's Bay Co. post, while up the Elbow was the R.C. mission. In the winter of 1883-84 squatters established a tent[?] town on the east[?] side of the Elbow along the railway tracks but in the spring of 1884 the CPR laid out the official town of Calgary on Section 15.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 5:23 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post

During the summer of 1883, while the CPR tracks were being laid near Calgary, the area was surveyed for the Dominion government by C. E. Lorne. Settlers at that time included [can't make it out - too many names, not enough context]. At the confluence of the rivers where the NWMP fort and Hudson's Bay Co. post, while up the Elbow was the R.C. mission. In the winter of 1883-84 squatters established a tent[?] town on the east[?] side of the Elbow along the railway tracks but in the spring of 1884 the CPR laid out the official town of Calgary on Section 15.
said 'tent town', ie what is now the main portion of Inglewood

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 7:25 PM

Quote:

With a stunning collection of drawings and photographs here
http://caa.ucalgary.ca/mawson Including this rendering of the approach to Prince's Island (Yes, this IS Calgary!):

You can also see this right on Prince's Island on one of those little information signs they have. I think a further 3 or 4 other options of what the island could or might have been are there as well.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 9:46 PM
Getting sick of the NCF

Here is one of 1917:

http://railways.library.ualberta.ca/Maps-8-1-6/

There are lots of mape on this site, so look around.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 4:27 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post

And from there it was an instant success.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 5:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertantraingeek View Post
Here is one of 1917:

http://railways.library.ualberta.ca/Maps-8-1-6/

There are lots of mape on this site, so look around.
I had no idea that the Talisman Centre sits on an old rail-yard, or that there was a train station on 17th avenue an 1st street! Thanks for that map.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 7:02 PM

Quote:
I had no idea that the Talisman Centre sits on an old rail-yard, or that there was a train station on 17th avenue an 1st street! Thanks for that map.
The train station is now the "Nat Christie Centre", home of the Alberta Ballet. As far as I know the building still has "CN Station" on it somewhere.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 9:49 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
The train station is now the "Nat Christie Centre", home of the Alberta Ballet. As far as I know the building still has "CN Station" on it somewhere.
IIRC, there is some part of the sandstone building that has 'Canadian National Railway' engraved in it.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 10:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
It's funny, that 1917 map shows the station on 17th, but the Alberta Ballet building is on 18th, and the block seems too short for a passenger train. I wonder if there was a larger/extended station that at one point fronted 17th ave?

Edit: Nope: http://ww2.glenbow.org/search/archiv...ResultsDetails

Nice building, and that explains the over-built bridge that connects that area with the Talisman Centre.

Thanks for the info!

DOUBLE EDIT: Thanks Dizzy Edge. I couldn't find those images in the archive. I am consistantly surprised by this city, and I love it's history.

Old Posted May 30, 2011, 10:09 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

^^

St Mary's Hall before purchase by the CNR

View from "Lindsay Park" area after conversion:

View from 18th ave:

Last train in 1979

Today the station platform still remains attached to the building, as well as some strips of rail embedded in the pathway.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 8:44 AM
Transit Nerd

Does anyone have maps of Calgary ranging from 1978 to 1993?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Area Photos & Videos