HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 12:46 AM
BANNED

I don't mean this to offend anybody from Chicago, but I find Chicagoans to be totally normal in just about every imaginable way and tend to blend in just about everywhere in the US.

Maybe that's the overall point you were making?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 12:48 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
I always say if Detroit and NYC had a child, it would be named Chicago.
Hey, that's my line.

I've been saying it on SSP for the past 15 years.

It's funny because it's true.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 1:27 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

I kind of agree.

New York and its lesser east coast brethren are defined by (or were redefined by) late 19th century immigration.

The south is defined by the civil war and slavery. the population is old-stock, black and white both.

The midwest is defined by 19th century frontier settlement, exploitation of the land, and 20th century scientific and industrial rise and/or fall.

the west is about 20th century settlement, marketing, technology, and pastoral spaces.

The midwestern experience encapsulates the american experience and history more broadly than those of other regions.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 1:35 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but while the film was set in Chicago, and there is a significant Greek community in Chicago, the story is actually based on the Winnipeg Greek community and was just Americanized because apparently Americans can handle films set in London and Hong Kong and Munich, but not Winnipeg.
It was set in Chicago because Americans, and non-Americans, are familiar with the city. And this would make them more likely to see the movie and make it profitable. Chicago has a place in the American and global consciousness that Winnipeg lacks.

It's also unlikely that the movie would be set in Minneapolis, Kansas City, Des Moines, Denver, Milwaukee or Omaha, either.

non-recognizable cities can be seen on higher end TV shows, on the other hand since TV these days tends to cater to a more sophisticated and American (as opposed to dumbed-down global) audience. Albequerque (breaking bad), Kansas City (the one about the lady with split personality disorder), Fargo etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see Winnipeg as the setting of a successful US-market tv show.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 3:37 AM
<-- Chicago's roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
In my mind, Chicago is the spiritual capital of the America of around 1900--the time of mass migration from southern and eastern Europe and old school industrialization, and of ward politics and urban political machines. It is not the spiritual capital of America's future. Sorry.
Apology accepted. I agree with you. In a roundabout way, you're right. When the country was run by a Chicagoan, we had a trajectory for a bright future in America. Then it went backwards with the appointment of our current leader. Which is ironic because he's very reminiscent of a Chicago politician or gangster, which I hope is Chicago's past. Chicago has such a reputation for gloves-off politics and revolutionary grassroots action, its only a matter of time before the good begins to overwhelm the bad and get press.

So as of now, Chicago of now won't be the spiritual capital, but a reformed Chicago of the future will be, which is occurring right now.

Thank you for your opinion. I dig it!

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segun View Post
Apology accepted. I agree with you. In a roundabout way, you're right. When the country was run by a Chicagoan, we had a trajectory for a bright future in America. Then it went backwards with the appointment of our current leader. Which is ironic because he's very reminiscent of a Chicago politician or gangster, which I hope is Chicago's past.
Trump kind of bombed in Chicago/Illinois (even for a Republican). He didn't seem to get a white ethnic working class boost like he did in Staten Island or Macomb County, Michigan. Pretty sure the GOP vote share dropped in every Chicagoland county compared to Romney.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Huh? What part of Brooklyn reminds you of Mississippi or Texas?
It's a joke, bud

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
I kind of agree.

New York and its lesser east coast brethren are defined by (or were redefined by) late 19th century immigration.

The south is defined by the civil war and slavery. the population is old-stock, black and white both.

The midwest is defined by 19th century frontier settlement, exploitation of the land, and 20th century scientific and industrial rise and/or fall.

the west is about 20th century settlement, marketing, technology, and pastoral spaces.

The midwestern experience encapsulates the american experience and history more broadly than those of other regions.
Clearly the perspective of a North easterner.

Dont take that as a bad thing, it is simply your perspective.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Trump kind of bombed in Chicago/Illinois (even for a Republican). He didn't seem to get a white ethnic working class boost like he did in Staten Island or Macomb County, Michigan. Pretty sure the GOP vote share dropped in every Chicagoland county compared to Romney.
It didnt it gained actually, maybe Cook gained a little but like most of the country it was areas Obama flipped in 08' going back to being republican and fairly close to 2012 with a bit of a republican edge.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/d...htmlstory.html

But dont worry about that Trump is Hitler-Stalin-Satan or whatever, im sure the nation will be sure to repent to satisfy your personal opinions next year.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 6:59 AM
BANNED

Obama won in his 2004 senate race with a lot of those close dark red state counties coming close to turning a close blue form him... and the close red to blue counties where his BTW.

That is where he really blew the completion out of the water. I think he got like 70% of the vote but don't quote me. EDIT I looked it up and it was at least 70%

Obama's 43% margin of victory was the largest in the state history of U.S. Senate elections

He ran a remarkable state wide senate race against at stooge which helped immensely. But the guy visited every single 102 counties in the state at that time.

I was there at the Old State Capital building, with all the pomp and circumstance what not with the red sandstone pillars that Lincoln once served in, in Springfield when he announced for running for the POTUS. Damn ass cold February that sunny day, it was likely 10 degrees and his children were really just children than, but I was there and I gave him my full support and all I could financially. I give Senator Durban a lot of credit for encouraging him to go for it. BTW not that it matters but I got married and took photos at the same spot on a warmer day in June. I produced two fine young children, now in HS. But ... Enough said about that for now.

Not to get into the nitty gritty but The democrat would have still won if the elector was voted in by only one county. Cook. But Lake and DuPage not even made it close.

That's all that's needed. Its nice to have U of I Champaign voting to win, and the quad cities and metro east St. Louis out there but there are enough votes in one county to swarm the rest of the 101 out of 102 counties to win a nice margin.

Not that that is something proud about but its the truth.

While it was nice Illinois didn't need Carbondale's county to put it over the top. Illinois was won by many more millions voting in Cook county and it probably pisses off 99 out of 102 counties but that's the reality of it all.

Its just how the population of the state votes and lives in.

But the Chicagoland collar counties can elect a republican governor ala Rauner if push comes to shove. Cook does what it does but the collar counties will chose a republican or democrat when it comes to a state wide office like the governorship.

There just not enough votes down state to win a general election for governor without the collar counties and that's how we got a republican governor not that I am complaining just explaining how votes are tallied in Illinois.

Funny thing When Obama ran for the senate and won the POTUS he got almost 40% of the counties in the primary against her and he won almost just as large in the general. This state was his primary landslide to prevent against a California landslide that already voted via mail months prior and prevented any win HRC could claim on supper duper Tuesday back in 2008.

BHO got more democratic primary electors out of Illinois in a push than HRC got out of California in the combination of both of them. BHO could not have been the POTUS without Illinois's massive win total for him. If he ran from Nebraska, or Iowa he would have been toast that week.

Just think about that for a moment and let that sink in for a bit.

Obama went all the way down to Cairo and every little burg in the process to win when he ran for the senate. He never put all of his eggs in Cook county alone. That's why he won this states votes thrice buy going down state and talking to the people. In the 2008 Primary he didn't even need to show his face he was already very popular. He spent his better time and efforts in the caucus states and other large states sans cali before the big day. Obama came out on top because he already put his dues in Illinois. The favorite son was remarkably helpful to him that very important day.

He was a very smart Illinois politician that did not need to do what he did but he wrapped it up so good in our state he became so strong within state to let it go unchallenged in super-duper Tuesday and still run away with it in 2008.

Illinois saved him that pivotal week and he spent pretty much nothing in media coverage before hand when I remember HRC poured millions in media in the state for no gain.

That week sent him to the POTUS. One of our greatest.

Last edited by bnk; Nov 21, 2017 at 8:12 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 2:17 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
In my mind, Chicago is the spiritual capital of the America of around 1900--the time of mass migration from southern and eastern Europe and old school industrialization, and of ward politics and urban political machines. It is not the spiritual capital of America's future. Sorry.

That doesn't mean it isn't a great city and a fun one to visit. I've hugely enjoyed the time I've spent there. It's just that I think other places are more about where we are now and especially where we are headed.
I think Chicago is ...to quote a certain REO Speedwagon song...rolling with the changes. For a city so steeped in industry and Polish sausage, they see the future and are doing pretty well preparing for it.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I think Chicago is ...to quote a certain REO Speedwagon song...rolling with the changes. For a city so steeped in industry and Polish sausage, they see the future and are doing pretty well preparing for it.
When I think Chicago, I don't think Polish sausage so much as sauerbraten 'cause that's the first meal I go for there. But maybe we should both start thinking tacos because the Latino population is large and growing and their food along with them. I'm reminded not only are there plenty of low end taquerias now but Rick Bayless, Mexican cooking guru, is headquartered there--I've eaten at his Frontera Grill.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions