HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

View Poll Results: Should Calgary bid for the 2026 Winter Olympics
Strongly Agree 42 30.66%
Agree 33 24.09%
Undecided / Neutral 19 13.87%
Disagree 16 11.68%
Strongly Disagree 27 19.71%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
Agree 100% and I don't buy this bullshit argument 'if you didn't vote yes for the Olympics you don't get to have an arena' The two subjects aren't the same. I feel like telling those people to fuck off.
It was a way to defray some of the costs to other levels of government, simple as that.

The anti tax forces will be against the arena just as much. Whether they can derail it who knows.

In the arena debate, there is similarly an alignment between the anti taxxers and the 'other priorities' people, plus the 'no money for billionaires paying millionaires' people.

I think having a pot of money for an arena already allocated (the mid-sized arena) would have shattered the anti arena coalition, allowing for public money to go the arena in a much faster and simpler way.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
I think having a pot of money for an arena already allocated (the mid-sized arena) would have shattered the anti arena coalition, allowing for public money to go the arena in a much faster and simpler way.
How so? I'm not sure how it could have affected my opinion on the matter of limiting subsidies for private interests.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:20 AM

Oh, shattered is breaking up the elements, maybe peeling one off. Not getting them all.

Now have to have a fight where failure doesn’t mean an expenditure on a $100M plus mid sized arena.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:27 AM

Right I see. That's fair, although that's more weakening the Flame's position to me, no?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:15 AM
BANNED

If there are funds to spend, it should go to the much needed feildhouse at Foothills, and with some work done on how that would look already in place, perhaps that's the best way to go. Of course, Farkas and others are hoping to cut off limbs on the city's budget.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Right I see. That's fair, although that's more weakening the Flame's position to me, no?
Oh, the build arena proponents of all stripes are in a worse position now without the Olympic contribution for sure.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
If there are funds to spend, it should go to the much needed feildhouse at Foothills, and with some work done on how that would look already in place, perhaps that's the best way to go. Of course, Farkas and others are hoping to cut off limbs on the city's budget.
Why put the field house at the hospital?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 1:59 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Why put the field house at the hospital?
Foothills Athletic Park?

It's only been around for over 30 years, actually was built in the 70's.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Oh, the build arena proponents of all stripes are in a worse position now without the Olympic contribution for sure.
It is the irony of the position taken by Willy Wilson and his zombies. I'm with you Malcolm. This was the time the Flames could have come to the plate and worked something out for the Victoria Park proposal that the city had put on the table. Instead, they were completely mum, other than *former* Flame Iginla, and Lanny Mac, who is their public soft nice-guy face, but never brings the money.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:16 PM

Quote:
It is the irony of the position taken by Willy Wilson and his zombies. I'm with you Malcolm. This was the time the Flames could have come to the plate and worked something out for the Victoria Park proposal that the city had put on the table. Instead, they were completely mum, other than *former* Flame Iginla, and Lanny Mac, who is their public soft nice-guy face, but never brings the money.

Well...we all know it was the construction mafia's fault led by the evil dungeon master Cal Wnzel.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:31 PM

Someone made the strategic call that they didn’t want the plebiscite to be about the arena.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 10:14 PM

This looks super sketchy. I'm so glad we voted "No."

Final report on abandoned Olympic bid delayed until June

Scott Dippel · CBC News · Posted: May 10, 2019 6:00 AM MT | Last Updated: May 10

It will take more time before Calgarians will get answers to questions like "How much money was spent on pursuing a Calgary bid for the 2026 Olympics?"

Voters in last November's plebiscite chose to put the brakes on a bid when they rejected pursuing the Games.

A final report from the bid corporation was expected within a couple of months. But Mayor Naheed Nenshi said he's hearing that a report won't be ready until sometime in June.

Details behind the delay are not being released. But Nenshi said it's proving to be more challenging than anticipated.

He chalks it up to the complex structure of the bid corporation, which had many partners.

"Because you've got the other two orders of government and the COC (Canadian Olympic Committee) and everyone has slightly different procedures and policies on how to do this," said Nenshi.

"I am hopeful that we will be at council in the next month or so."
$30M assembled for bid

He'd also rather there just be one final report than a series of updates as the partners sign off.

"No one has any interest in reporting to council more than once on this," said Nenshi.

Plenty of financial questions remain to be answered about the now-abandoned Olympic bid.

The three levels of government assembled $30 million for the effort.

There has also been some jockeying about what should be done with any leftover money.

Coun. Jeromy Farkas was an outspoken council opponent of the bid.

He tells CBC News he's aware of the reasons why the final report is taking longer to complete but he's not allowed to talk about it publicly.
Councillor wants greater transparency

Farkas said there are several things he'll be interested in hearing about the bid.

"The first is a full accounting of the money that was spent, looking at exploring a bid for the Olympics," said Farkas.

"I'm very curious how much the Olympic bid corporation spent of taxpayers' dollars to promote a yes result in the plebiscite."

But for him, it's not just about the final report or following the money.

Through the bid process, Farkas railed often about the lack of transparency in the workings of the bid corporation.

"The big data dump I would like to see is all of the confidential material, the thousands of pages that council had access to that Calgarians didn't," he said.

"I would like Calgarians to be able to go through that themselves and judge for themselves whether the need for confidentiality was there."

It's not known when that material will become available.

Top city officials have said previously that most of that material would be made available at some point.

Key exceptions would be made for detailed information about the proposed security operation that was being worked on for the 2026 Games.

Any information that might be considered relevant to a potential future Calgary Olympic bid would also not be released publicly.

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...2026-1.5130538

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 10:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
This looks super sketchy. I'm so glad we voted "No."

Final report on abandoned Olympic bid delayed until June
June is like in 20 days.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
June is like in 20 days.
The report was due in March. If it takes them eight months to put together a report on the bid how would they ever be able to manage a multi-billion dollar project? Not only were they not up to the task they were less than honest with the public and are now trying to hide things.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 11:53 PM

Can’t submit your final report until you are fully reimbursed and then audited. Reimbursement from other levels of government isn’t the quickest process.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 3:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Can’t submit your final report until you are fully reimbursed and then audited. Reimbursement from other levels of government isn’t the quickest process.
I doubt Corndogger will appreciate reality and acknowledge that he knows nothing about these things.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:
I doubt Corndogger will appreciate reality and acknowledge that he knows nothing about these things.
If those were the main reasons why the report was delayed Nenshi would be throwing the province and feds under the bus. There's clearly much more involved which is the real reality.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 10:01 PM

He clearly did throw them very nicely under the bus.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 12:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
He clearly did throw them very nicely under the bus.
When it comes to Corndogger, he clearly lives in a post-fact world. While him having opinions is great, but him choosing which opinion he's going to "choose" to be fact is beyond the pale. People like that are a huge detriment to society.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
When it comes to Corndogger, he clearly lives in a post-fact world. While him having opinions is great, but him choosing which opinion he's going to "choose" to be fact is beyond the pale. People like that are a huge detriment to society.
Read the article again. Yes, Nenshi mentions the other parties but he also throws in wanting just one report--huge red flag! Also, Farkas says he knows the reason for the delay but his forbidden (gagged!) from saying why. Nenshi and his gang need more time to cover their butts. People like me calling this shit out is a huge benefit to society.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy