HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
For the panache? I can't think of any technical reason.
The area at the top of the stairs and escalators is constrained requiring the offset...see the following architectural plans:

http://www.morguardlrtupdates.com/PD..._Layout_R1.pdf

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
I wonder why the platforms in the underground stations have the nice tiles, but the platforms at St. Laurent have the large, rough tiles similar to the outdoor stations. Isn't it technically an underground station?
Different architects. The stations in the downtown tunnel were designed by IBI Group while the converted stations were conceptualized by Adamson Associates and BBB Architects.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capital_urbanite View Post
The area at the top of the stairs and escalators is constrained requiring the offset...see the following architectural plans:

Ah i forgot about that layout. I think people going to get a big surprise when they go up the escalator only to realize you have to take the stairs for the last bit, but there's not enough space for an escalator from the retail concourse to street level

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capital_urbanite View Post

Ah yes. I agree with kmcamp; seems like a strange layout that could confuse a lot of people.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:53 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcamp View Post
Ah i forgot about that layout. I think people going to get a big surprise when they go up the escalator only to realize you have to take the stairs for the last bit, but there's not enough space for an escalator from the retail concourse to street level
I'm hoping that where it says "Future opening (by others)" will actually be done and that it leads directly to the escalators at Winners. Voila, instant Sparks Street entrance!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I'm hoping that where it says "Future opening (by others)" will actually be done and that it leads directly to the escalators at Winners. Voila, instant Sparks Street entrance!
Slap a label and a lifesaver pole at the door, and done!

EDIT: That's probably at Winners' discretion. I don't think they would want hundreds of people passing through the store every hour just for transit access. They could see it as a security risk and increased maintenance for little to no benefit.

Last edited by J.OT13; Nov 16, 2018 at 3:16 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:13 PM
Busy Beaver

On an odd tangent, I keep on getting ads for Mobil in my feed and their red O looks awfully similar to the O-Train's. Isn't it ironic that a gas station is going to have something in common with public transit station? It would be funny if this confuses out-of-towners.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post

EDIT: That's probably at Winners' discretion. I don't think they would want hundreds of people passing through the store every hour just for transit access. They could see it as a security risk and increased maintenance for little to no benefit.
Or someone could make a business decision that they could make more profit having a business there that would benefit from LRT passenger through-traffic, and Winners would move elsewhere.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:44 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:

Although the escalators there could be segregated from the rest of the store, so they could theoretically be used as part of a transit access point outside of store hours.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:46 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
Or someone could make a business decision that they could make more profit having a business there that would benefit from LRT passenger through-traffic, and Winners would move elsewhere.
Something like a Marché Movenpick would be nice there since we lost the one at the Rideau Centre. They could do well with the foot traffic. I know Queen Street Fare is opening up across the street but it would be great to have even more food options in the CBD.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:05 PM

If they could move Winners (not likely because they've only been there a few years) or segregate the store with the hallway to the station, it would be idea.

Does Heritage Place have any other retailers in the basement? I've walked through there once but couldn't see anything beyond the Winners. The plans reference a "retail concourse" which would suggest more than one store.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I like the idea of stopping at Westboro for logistical reasons given that the "ditch" and right of way is already there and there is probably sufficient space around the station for local bus pads and such.

On an east-west axis, it's also just about where the traditional inner city built form ends while going west.

While going to Lincoln Fields would be great, there isn't even an existing Transitway corridor to that station, and hammering something out with the NCC or whatever would have been a huge pain. It may have been as complicated and costly as the section through downtown - OK, maybe I'm exaggerating. But not that much, really.
They could easily add a bus transfer station at Westboro. There is a massive empty field next to the Graham Spry building just to the north of the station:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3968.../data=!3m1!1e3

And then after Phase 2 when the transfer station wouldn't be needed, they could rebuild the building on that spot so that employees who work there don't have to walk all the way across the parking lot to get there from the station (seriously, who designed that?)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
They could easily add a bus transfer station at Westboro. There is a massive empty field next to the Graham Spry building just to the north of the station:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3968.../data=!3m1!1e3

And then after Phase 2 when the transfer station wouldn't be needed, they could rebuild the building on that spot so that employees who work there don't have to walk all the way across the parking lot to get there from the station (seriously, who designed that?)
Looking at geo Ottawa, that field wasn't empty in 2011 (it was in 2014 though). Not sure what the plans were for that land when the Stage 1 plans were being made. Sometimes hindsight is 20/20.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:04 PM

^^^ I think those were old CBC studios.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:04 PM

After watching the video and listening to the FEDCO meeting, I'm betting on March 1 as the opening date. Early March is a logical target, if it has to be in winter, thanks to the rolling March breaks.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 8:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
After watching the video and listening to the FEDCO meeting, I'm betting on March 1 as the opening date. Early March is a logical target, if it has to be in winter, thanks to the rolling March breaks.
I'm predicting the opening date will be moved to April 1st and then on that day they will pull the ultimale April Fools and move it to May

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 8:50 PM

I don't know anything about the funding or contract terms but I'm guessing March Madness will play into this in some way with the city looking to take delivery before March 31st in order to get money out in the 2018-19 fiscal year.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 4:49 AM
BANNED

They should really stop displaying "#readyforrail" on the OOS buses and instead put "not ready we don't know when it's coming"

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 4:51 PM

Good Day.

2 photos of uOttawa station from Mathieu Fleury Twitter feed :

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsNgol6WsAA8_bl.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsNgonnXcAAJUDp.jpg

EnJoy!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 10:41 PM

Two new Snapshot updates taken today.

Pimisi Station
and
Bayview Station

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation