HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

1213 Walnut in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 3:56 PM

Nice addition. Would love to see some more of these pop up with similar heights north of Callowhill.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Nice addition. Would love to see some more of these pop up with similar heights north of Callowhill.
Agreed. I'll take 10 of these over 1 supertall. Infill like this fills my heart with joy.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 4:34 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Well, we are in the process of taking care of the supertall. So, I say let's go and start building more 400-800 footers in the city. We need some sort of catalyst to drive further need for highrises in this city. Not sure if we are there yet. We have plenty of boneheads in the city that are anti-business or growth.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Well, we are in the process of taking care of the supertall. So, I say let's go and start building more 400-800 footers in the city. We need some sort of catalyst to drive further need for highrises in this city. Not sure if we are there yet. We have plenty of boneheads in the city that are anti-business or growth.
Some more 600 footers besides the single one we have would be pretty nice.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Some more 600 footers besides the single one we have would be pretty nice.
Put a 20 foot mast on the new Westin/W and we will have 2.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 5:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
growth doesn't magicially sprout new office towers in this day and age. Companies are taking less space than ever do to technology and layout changes. Job numbers are up but occupied space in CC is barely changed. When companies get new leases they are generally taking less space even if workforce stays the same.

I'm pretty sure the bulk of hi rise construction in the US right now is NOT office space.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 7:30 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
growth doesn't magicially sprout new office towers in this day and age. Companies are taking less space than ever do to technology and layout changes. Job numbers are up but occupied space in CC is barely changed. When companies get new leases they are generally taking less space even if workforce stays the same.

I'm pretty sure the bulk of hi rise construction in the US right now is NOT office space.
No kidding. Your reasoning applies to all big cities about office footprint and ones that even have growth in new office space (i.e., new office tower) despite a smaller existing office footprint taken by companies already there or co-working new space. My point is that the catalyst needs to be strong and continued employment growth (preferably a large new company or division) and growth in population (maybe people want to retire in Philly or a high-tech HB1 work visa) to further continue our building boom.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 8:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
No kidding. Your reasoning applies to all big cities about office footprint and ones that even have growth in new office space (i.e., new office tower) despite a smaller existing office footprint taken by companies already there or co-working new space. My point is that the catalyst needs to be strong and continued employment growth (preferably a large new company or division) and growth in population (maybe people want to retire in Philly or a high-tech HB1 work visa) to further continue our building boom.
it really appears the boom is shifting to 3-5 story midrise residential projects. There is a LOT of that going on even though they aren't a lot of big towers under construction. No shortage of hi rise proposals, but an increasing # aren't making it from proposal to groundbreaking for some reason.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:13 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
it really appears the boom is shifting to 3-5 story midrise residential projects. There is a LOT of that going on even though they aren't a lot of big towers under construction. No shortage of hi rise proposals, but an increasing # aren't making it from proposal to groundbreaking for some reason.
The 3-5 story building boom has been ongoing for a long time now, though. The better part of the decade, at least. The current edge of major redevelopment appears to be just north of Girard esp. in Brewerytown and Ludlow, and new construction has been popping up as far out as Port Richmond.

It's this vast sea of new rowhomes and rowhome-sized multifamily that provides the financial justification for the larger and much more speculative projects mostly concentrated in Center City and environs, not the other way around.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:

Besides some crazy 'dream on' proposal for the Delaware river front, what was the last new high rise apartment/condo proposal that has been floated. This Walnut St. project only seemed to get out of starting blocks once Hines got involved. Does Philly need more out of town developers to get things built?
It seems like there are maybe 3 or 4 proposals for every new build, so if that theory holds water we need some more proposals, throw 4 into a hat and pick one. I'd like to see the 'Mellon Tower' get built.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Besides some crazy 'dream on' proposal for the Delaware river front, what was the last new high rise apartment/condo proposal that has been floated. This Walnut St. project only seemed to get out of starting blocks once Hines got involved. Does Philly need more out of town developers to get things built?
It seems like there are maybe 3 or 4 proposals for every new build, so if that theory holds water we need some more proposals, throw 4 into a hat and pick one. I'd like to see the 'Mellon Tower' get built.
It's been a while.

Old Posted May 17, 2017, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Lmao you come up with new stuff every day to make the city look all rosy don't you? It's not like you can't have high rises coz of freaking three to five story projects. The demand and resources are just not there in several cases unfortunately.

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 10:50 AM
Drone Photographer

Took this drone video of 1213 Walnut. We've shot drone photos of all the hottest developments in town for developers, and they're all available for free download at www.phillybydrone.com. If you'd like a drone shot, email us at phillybydrone@gmail.com.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 5:40 AM

5/28/17

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 1:21 AM

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 11:56 PM
More of that.

^that ornate building needs its blue roof redone STAT

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:04 PM

Does anyone know how the huge gap between Sansom and Walnut on this building will function? Is this just for vehicles - loading, unloading, pick-up, drop-off?

Or, will there be a landscaped pedestrian component allowing you to "cut through" the building? It's pretty impressive looking at street level.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Does anyone know how the huge gap between Sansom and Walnut on this building will function? Is this just for vehicles - loading, unloading, pick-up, drop-off?

Or, will there be a landscaped pedestrian component allowing you to "cut through" the building? It's pretty impressive looking at street level.
I think it's a pick up/drop off point for the apartments and a walk through. It's pretty cool

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 4:18 PM
Philly Pholly

[QUOTE=TallCoolOne;7831008][IMG]

Wish I owned that lot at Locust & 13.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 6:49 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
^that ornate building needs its blue roof redone STAT
That's Walnut Square. The management of that building is notorious for the lousy condition of their properties and they own several in Center City.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive