HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 10:30 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Time for Rider fans to enjoy your limited time on an even footing with the reset of the CFL. You will be back to living in the basement in a couple of weeks.
I guess we'll have to see.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
I guess we'll have to see.
I see the strategy, have the Riders open with a bye so they can claim "but we have a game in hand" for many weeks denying their true status as the basement dwellers.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 3:07 PM

Riders apparently played sloppily at the Green and White scrimmage on Saturday. I'm not expecting them to be strong contenders this year, but I do want to see progress over last year.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
Riders apparently played sloppily at the Green and White scrimmage on Saturday. I'm not expecting them to be strong contenders this year, but I do want to see progress over last year.
When you have a lack of production like they did on Friday, the big question is: Do we have a shitty offense or a fantastic defense? There won't be a definitive answer to that question until we play another team's defense.

From what I heard, the pressure on the QB was suffocating, the DEs were outstanding and the heads up ball play with tips and interceptions was top notch. I'm staying positive and saying that Jones created a hell of defense for us this year DD has yet to find his groove with the new receivers.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 5:49 PM

As a Bomber fan the answer could be you have the league's worst defense and an offense that makes that defense look like an all-star team. Learned that all too well a couple seasons back with the Blue Blunders...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 5:56 PM
arf

^Agreed. I think Mr. Jones will do a good job with getting a competitive defense, but given the disarray the offense could be the defense will still look bad when already tired in the third quarter of most games.

My prediction for this season is 5-13 and maybe 6-12. I'm hoping we have some future quarterback direction coming out of this season. Durant had better not be our starter. We put off looking to the future last season and I don't want us going that path again.We appreciate all you did Durant. You were a great quarterback for us, but it's time to let the aging body rest.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 4:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I see the strategy, have the Riders open with a bye so they can claim "but we have a game in hand" for many weeks denying their true status as the basement dwellers.
We go one season as basement dwellers and that's where you think we will be in perpetuity? Someone hasn't been paying attention over the past 10 years . The Riders are more than capable of turning things around. It might just take a season to do so. Cory really did mess up the locker room since 2013.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 4:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Agreed. I think Mr. Jones will do a good job with getting a competitive defense, but given the disarray the offense could be the defense will still look bad when already tired in the third quarter of most games.

My prediction for this season is 5-13 and maybe 6-12. I'm hoping we have some future quarterback direction coming out of this season. Durant had better not be our starter. We put off looking to the future last season and I don't want us going that path again.We appreciate all you did Durant. You were a great quarterback for us, but it's time to let the aging body rest.
Of course Durant is our starter lol. How can anyone say anything bad about him when he's been off field most of the past 2 years? When he was on the field, he played great. He looked better than ever at training camp last season. Not sure about this time around though. Sounds like you have all the answers so please enlighten us with how you think he has been this training camp.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 4:38 PM

BJ Coleman sounds like he's about to leapfrog Smith as our #2 QB. The media reports are all saying he's got a rocket arm, pocket presence and game smarts. Just needs some time to adjust to the CFL game. Smith is leading for the #2 job only based on his CFL experience from last year. Once Coleman gains the same experience he should be the better QB.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
We go one season as basement dwellers and that's where you think we will be in perpetuity? Someone hasn't been paying attention over the past 10 years . The Riders are more than capable of turning things around. It might just take a season to do so. Cory really did mess up the locker room since 2013.
It is more fun when all the teams in the league are competitive but it really seems like the Riders are going to spend another year rebuild. Edmonton, while the lost a number of key players and coaches, still has a better core to build from than the Riders. Calgary will continue to be a power house. The Bombers also seemed to have things turned around, especially with a proven 1-2 combo at qb, an area that has caused them issues for years. In the west the other big question mark is BC. It is going to come down to who can stay game condition health the longest: Lulay or Durrant. It seems the one taking the first knee is sending their team to the basement in the west.

In the east the big question mark continues to circle Montreal but with journeyman Glenn there this season they could get the hot start that the Riders are wanting for themselves. The other teams will all easily outpace the west basement again this season. I also know all too well about the team needing to move on from a qb but sticking it out too long. It is a position you need to have your starter health and able to start and finish games for about 80% of the season including all your playoff games.

I could be wrong but having spent years dealing with the Bomber rebuild I feel like I know what the Riders are going to go through and its painful.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 7:11 PM

Quote:
It is more fun when all the teams in the league are competitive but it really seems like the Riders are going to spend another year rebuild. Edmonton, while the lost a number of key players and coaches, still has a better core to build from than the Riders. Calgary will continue to be a power house. The Bombers also seemed to have things turned around, especially with a proven 1-2 combo at qb, an area that has caused them issues for years. In the west the other big question mark is BC. It is going to come down to who can stay game condition health the longest: Lulay or Durrant. It seems the one taking the first knee is sending their team to the basement in the west.

In the east the big question mark continues to circle Montreal but with journeyman Glenn there this season they could get the hot start that the Riders are wanting for themselves. The other teams will all easily outpace the west basement again this season. I also know all too well about the team needing to move on from a qb but sticking it out too long. It is a position you need to have your starter health and able to start and finish games for about 80% of the season including all your playoff games.

I could be wrong but having spent years dealing with the Bomber rebuild I feel like I know what the Riders are going to go through and its painful.
Well considering that Lulay isn't even the starter for the Lions at this time I'd say BC has a better chance of him staying healthy. Every team would love to get off to hot start, but I highly doubt the Riders are expecting it as they will a lot of new starters on the team this year and it will take time to become a cohesive unit.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
When you have a lack of production like they did on Friday, the big question is: Do we have a shitty offense or a fantastic defense? There won't be a definitive answer to that question until we play another team's defense.

From what I heard, the pressure on the QB was suffocating, the DEs were outstanding and the heads up ball play with tips and interceptions was top notch. I'm staying positive and saying that Jones created a hell of defense for us this year DD has yet to find his groove with the new receivers.
The poor outing during the green and white scrimage is a bit discouraging but then they basically blew up 80% (guessing on the exact %) of the team relative to last year. We are marginally better than Ottawa at the start of 2014 at this point.
The week 1 bye means they have 3 weeks to get the bugs ironed out of the offense and get their execution down. I'm still optimistic about this year. We may have a rocky start to the season but anything less than 500 (9/9) will be a disappointment for me. A home playoff game would be the ultimate but I think that is too optimistic.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
The poor outing during the green and white scrimage is a bit discouraging but then they basically blew up 80% (guessing on the exact %) of the team relative to last year. We are marginally better than Ottawa at the start of 2014 at this point.
The week 1 bye means they have 3 weeks to get the bugs ironed out of the offense and get their execution down. I'm still optimistic about this year. We may have a rocky start to the season but anything less than 500 (9/9) will be a disappointment for me. A home playoff game would be the ultimate but I think that is too optimistic.
Also quite a few of the core vets sat out the scrimmage as well. Listening to the other teams web sites, the Roughriders are being dismissed across the league.
Love to see them poke a few holes in those theories.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 7:33 PM

Quote:

I sincerely hope the Bombers show some improvement and have a decent season this year. I don't know how the fans in Wpg put up with it year in and year out. If your O line doesn't improve you are going to need a 1-2-3-4-5 combo at qb.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 7:43 PM
BANNED

I think the concern around Durant, although valid, is being over exaggerated. The elbow injury in 2014 was a freak accident, leaving his Achilles injury last season the only thing to be concerned about. His style of play certainly makes him more susceptible to injury, but I wouldn't call him injury-prone due to one recent major injury that wasn't caused by someone else. I think we have yet to see the best of Durant and as long as he can stay on the field, we will be fine. Montreal did fine with old-man Calvillo until the bitter end. We just have to make sure we have guys behind Durant ready to go so that we don't end up in the basement like Montreal post-Calvillo, and I trust our management to do so.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 7:43 PM
arf

Thankfully for the Riders and Bombers CFL.CA has set everyone to 0-0 for last season. It's like it never happened.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 8:00 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Of course Durant is our starter lol. How can anyone say anything bad about him when he's been off field most of the past 2 years? When he was on the field, he played great. He looked better than ever at training camp last season. Not sure about this time around though. Sounds like you have all the answers so please enlighten us with how you think he has been this training camp.
I don't know how Durant has been at training camp. What I do know is that at 34 years old this year, he has spent a good portion of the last two seasons injured and bodies tend to heal worse as we get older. I'm not sure what the window is for us being a Grey Cup contender again. It is the CFL and with only 9 teams almost anything can happen, although Saskatchewan's previous history tells us the team is probably three years from being a .500 team again and somewhat competitive. At that point Durant will be 37. Sure, the CFL tends to love its older quarterbacks.

I like what Durant gives us, but he's got not much more chemistry with this set of receivers than any of the other options and it might be time to look at those other options.

For me, Durant is a hope for now solution and I'd rather see him traded to free up cap space and build for the future. I really don't think we're that competitive this year and this season is more about where we are starting in 2017 and probably 2018. I could totally be wrong. It's an opinion. A less popular opinion than stick with Durant, but that is all it is.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 8:33 PM

Quote:
I don't know how Durant has been at training camp. What I do know is that at 34 years old this year, he has spent a good portion of the last two seasons injured and bodies tend to heal worse as we get older. I'm not sure what the window is for us being a Grey Cup contender again. It is the CFL and with only 9 teams almost anything can happen, although Saskatchewan's previous history tells us the team is probably three years from being a .500 team again and somewhat competitive. At that point Durant will be 37. Sure, the CFL tends to love its older quarterbacks.

I like what Durant gives us, but he's got not much more chemistry with this set of receivers than any of the other options and it might be time to look at those other options.

For me, Durant is a hope for now solution and I'd rather see him traded to free up cap space and build for the future. I really don't think we're that competitive this year and this season is more about where we are starting in 2017 and probably 2018. I could totally be wrong. It's an opinion. A less popular opinion than stick with Durant, but that is all it is.
Everyone is pretty set at starting QB, I really don't know who would be willing to trade something of value to get doubles. I still have faith in him to take us to another cup win.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 8:54 PM
arf

^True. I never doubt that if he had a team around him he's a very good option. I have some doubts in us getting a team around him in time to take advantage of his peak performance, but Chris worked miracles in Edmonton. Maybe he can do it again.

It's going to be interesting with the management this year. They've already shown the willingness to part with salary for lesser pieces for the grand scheme they have.

Ottawa with Burris at 41 seems like a likely target for veteran help. Winnipeg when the yearly QB injury parade starts? Sorry Esquire, couldn't resist that one.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Ottawa with Burris at 41 seems like a likely target for veteran help. Winnipeg when the yearly QB injury parade starts? Sorry Esquire, couldn't resist that one.
Don't be silly Home, everybody knows that's Kevin Glenn's designated role! As per usual he's going into training camp at the top of the depth chart, some kid nobody's ever heard of will steal the show in Montreal and take his spot, and then he's freed up to come and deal with our problems!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan