HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 8:58 PM
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
The image in the article looks like something from The Onion.
Except in the onion, one of them would be falling.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 9:19 PM
BANNED

Suicide looks preferable to this.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 10:13 PM

If they put up a net, doesn't that take away from peering over the edge? I hope it's not that dark blue net, too. For $175, I'm still sticking with my BASE jumping option.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 10:52 PM
Never Dell

I did this at the Space Needle once. It was a one-time fundraiser. I bid $600 as one of six people to do it. We went around one at a time. First through a hatch in the observation deck floor, then crawling over pipes (no touching!) to the outer hatch, then crawling over the slats the support the outer "halo" (supported by a ladder-like aluminum thing that spreads the weight around), then stepped up a couple feet to the halo, and walked around the halo supported by a line 10 feet inboard on the main building, with a staffer walking backwards the whole way. The halo is 3 or 4 feet wide and slants outward probably 10 degrees. I'm afraid of heights, and did not lean. But freaking thrilling.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2011, 11:01 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

I went to the Grand Canyon Skywalk a few months ago. At first your hindbrain wants to panic, but it gets used to the fact that you're not going to die pretty quickly. I actually felt like it might not have been worth the $30 price - and that's 4,000 feet straight down. CN is obviously much shorter than that, but maybe having urban scenery below creates a more relatable perspective.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 1:02 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
I went to the Grand Canyon Skywalk a few months ago. At first your hindbrain wants to panic, but it gets used to the fact that you're not going to die pretty quickly. I actually felt like it might not have been worth the $30 price - and that's 4,000 feet straight down. CN is obviously much shorter than that, but maybe having urban scenery below creates a more relatable perspective.
Is it really that expensive, $30 per person to go on the Grand Canyon Skywalk? Jesus, that is expensive, I mean I don't see why they would charge more than what it costs to go up the Sears Tower ($17), ESB or CN Tower considering the Grand Canyon thing is all outdoors. I can kind of understand $175 for CN Tower Skywalk because of crowd control issues but man they sure rip off tourists nowadays. I mean imagine you are a family of four and the two kids are teenagers too old for a kid's discount, that is $120 just to stand on a glass skywalk, are there really that many people just willing to shell out that much cash in this bad economy to justify the price? Maybe its because they have to use a lot of that special glass for the canyon skywalk, way more than what they have at the CN Tower or Sears Tower glass floors. Do they at least have benches and vending machines at this Skywalk? For that price I would like stay at least two hours and examine every rock from every angle just to get my money's worth.

Anyways the CN Tower edge walk looks cool but I don't see myself spending that kind of money but it is a creative way to make the attraction fresh and new. If you can't afford it you could always just go to the upper observation pod and look down at the people walking on the edge, that would be cool to see.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 5:16 AM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago103 View Post
Is it really that expensive, $30 per person to go on the Grand Canyon Skywalk?
Yeah, it's a ripoff all right. You pay $30 to get in line to walk around the Skywalk (I waited about half an hour), and you're not allowed to take cameras or phones with you on it - they even make you go through a metal detector to ensure you don't take any metallic objects with you. But, of course, they'll sell you photos they take of you. The entry fee is worth paying once in a lifetime though.

Quote:
I mean imagine you are a family of four and the two kids are teenagers too old for a kid's discount, that is $120 just to stand on a glass skywalk, are there really that many people just willing to shell out that much cash in this bad economy to justify the price?
They probably have group rates - I wasn't in a group, so I don't know.

Quote:
Maybe its because they have to use a lot of that special glass for the canyon skywalk, way more than what they have at the CN Tower or Sears Tower glass floors.
It's advertised as being designed to withstand a 9.0 earthquake. Says so on a big sign. Kind of creepy omen that the 9.2 Japan earthquake happened the very night I was there.

Quote:
Do they at least have benches and vending machines at this Skywalk?
They have benches outside, and a badly overpriced cafe in the building.

Quote:
For that price I would like stay at least two hours and examine every rock from every angle just to get my money's worth.
The view from outside the Skywalk is better than actually being on it. Here's one of the photos I took from outside:

P3100152 by troubadour1, on Flickr

Once you get over the vertigo of being on that thing, the view straight down really doesn't mean anything - there are no people or structures at the bottom to give you a sense of perspective. It's just a rock face that goes on and on beneath your feet. That's why I think the CN Tower thing would probably be a better value, but again, it's worth it at least once.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 3:07 PM
Bah!

Nope! And it's not the $175 price tag that would keep me from doing it. Nope!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2011, 4:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
Yeah, it's a ripoff all right. You pay $30 to get in line to walk around the Skywalk (I waited about half an hour)
You contradicted yourself.

Something is only a ripoff if people aren't willing to pay it and in this case people are lined up to pay it so $30 is actually a reasonable price.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 2:31 AM

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 3:19 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Thanks for the video links, it seems that extreme observation deck activities are the in thing, whether it be glass floors or edge walks like these. The height here is about equal to the 90th floor setbacks of the Sears Tower. BTW what is in the interior of that floor of the CN Tower, the part that slopes up to the upper tower shaft? I would assume mechanical equipment for the levels below and perhaps broadcasting equipment for the antenna.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 10:50 PM
Bah!

I can hardly watch that video.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 11:30 PM
Ex Houstonian

Holy crap, Id love to take a camera up there and spend a few hours.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 1:23 PM

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 3:25 PM

Holy crap! That is something I would love to try, I just don't think I would be willing to pay the fee.

Looks like the shaft could use a coat of paint too.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2011, 5:15 PM
Back to Basics

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture