HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 7:36 AM

I like that they want to put high density in right beside the Sapperton Skytrain, but unless they can fix that traffic mess @ Columbia & Burnette this just seems like a bad idea.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 3:32 PM

I don't think Columbia & Brunette is any worse than the rest of the corridor, besides with convenient access to Skytrain, I would guess that at least 35% of the residents will use Skytrain. If you have 1000 residents in the area, that'll be an additional 700 transit passenger trips and 1300 car trips per weekday. The corridor is busy because of increase in population across the entire Metro Vancouver area, what's an additional 1300 car trips? And I would say 2/3 of them will go to/from Hwy 1, Lougheed, or uptown New West.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 3:55 PM

Project

This looks great. This is the sort of area that is going to be good for redevelopment as the Real Estate market dips (or explodes) downward this year. Affordable and close to transportation on the Skytrain route. Someone is thinking.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 5:15 AM

Models of the Brewery District

I found this in the lobby of the Royal Columbian Hospital.

You can make out Sapperton Skytrain Station on the far left side hidding in the glare of the light

Brunette Ave. can be seen labeled on the bottom road in the picture

Enjoy!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the pics, I'll add them to the first page.

It looks as though there is a wall of above grade parking fronting Brunette. Not really surprising I guess Columbia st is what matters.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 10:35 PM

Thanks.
Yeah, I can't really see retail surviving along Brunette, so I guess that's the way to go (plus the store on Columbia would complain if Brunette drained the life out of Sapperton. The project looks like it will have large scale retail fronting Columbia and reinforcing that retail strip.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 11:43 PM

Seems like RCH Expansion, a few professional/office/retail buildings, and residential to round out the mix. Good to see it's not all residential. Though I do hope it's not "Walmart" I see in that retail sign in the first picture (the middle building along E. Columbia in the first pic), I assume it's just some generic mockup of whatever supermarket is going there.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2010, 11:57 PM

There are already Wal-Marts in Queensborough and at Lougheed Mall - I would think that the spacing would not allow another. Queensborough is expanding, too.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 12:12 AM

I believe they are aiming for Thrifty Foods as the grocery anchor. Also, it was noted today in the BIV that the majority of the Office Strata in both buildings has been purchased.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2010, 4:18 AM

I hope they dont have exposed underground parking on Brunet like they are showing. I really like the landscaping they used in Bretwood with the large development on Lougheed between Beta and Alpha streets. I hope they just create a good landscaped stepped wall coming down to Brunet. There should be no sidewalk along Brunet as there is absolutely nothing that would generate any pedestrian traffic along that route down at the road level. All the pedestrian traffic should be above the parkade and along the development where there will be lights, eyes, places that generate foot traffic and the exit of the Skytrain station.

Also if they landscape that wall then it will reduce the noise from Brunet and the trains by better absorbing it.

Other than that it looks good and I hope it proceeds soon, especially if those two office buildings have tenants waiting for them.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 5:08 AM

I went to the info session today, come on free food how could i not go. They said they will be breaking ground on the first building next month, and that the office space was 50% sold out. The first residential component is going to start next year, being ready for moving in in 3 years from now. They also gave me a look of "your not suppose to know that" when i mentioned that thrifty's was the grocery store to go in. They say they are going for a "new port village feel" and said when complete will be bigger than newport. I find this size claim hard to believe however. The fellow I spoke with gave me his card after we spoke, believe it or not it was Allan Degenova, X-Vancouver park board chair!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2010, 5:10 AM

thriftys aka sobeys they are really expanding

so we should see some more action there soon

Old Posted Feb 25, 2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayal View Post
I went to the info session today, come on free food how could i not go. They said they will be breaking ground on the first building next month, and that the office space was 50% sold out. The first residential component is going to start next year, being ready for moving in in 3 years from now. They also gave me a look of "your not suppose to know that" when i mentioned that thrifty's was the grocery store to go in. They say they are going for a "new port village feel" and said when complete will be bigger than newport. I find this size claim hard to believe however. The fellow I spoke with gave me his card after we spoke, believe it or not it was Allan Degenova, X-Vancouver park board chair!

Thanks for the info.

Bigger than newport village??? I really don't see how that is possible. Maybe more office space/retail, otherwise it just sounds like marketing speak. Like how some random suburban townhouses in Surrey can be called the next Yaletown.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 4:18 PM

Thrifty Foods

Wesgroup annouced this morning that Thrifty Foods will be the grocery anchor for the development.

Press Release

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 2:48 AM
Shoebox Dweller

I went by yesterday, and they were already hard at work excavating the site with quite a bit of equipment around.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2010, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibuya View Post
Wesgroup annouced this morning that Thrifty Foods will be the grocery anchor for the development.

Press Release
Sweet!

I love Thrifty Foods! Nice to see one will be near a skytrain station now!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 12:53 AM
Vancouverite

I still think that the hospital needs expansion from what i've heard about RCH.
But the development looks cool, and it always suprised me how many buildings is in that area of newwest (every time I ride the ML)

Old Posted Apr 19, 2010, 5:16 AM

Been driving through the area many times this past week and there are many excavators working and a crane is now up on site.

Is this project already advancing to actual super structure construction?

If so I am always amazed how quickly New West can move from the announcement of an ambitious project to its actual erection (unlike the countless large condo tower / office tower projects announced for Surrey, honestly, it seems only 10% of them ever make it past concept or approved).

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 12:19 AM

Update!

A couple of pictures from Sapperton Station. Sorry about the quality, used the cell phone. Enjoy.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 8:16 AM

yeah, looks like they are really getting the work going there on the site

maybe someone should change the title to U/C instead of approved.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley