HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 4:09 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Saw a headline in some online real estate industry rag (think maybe Globest) that the really nice project up on Lincoln Ave (involves demo of an existing residential - I believe condo, no - is this the one that a developer was able to buy out all the owners? - building) that this project of ~10 stories I think is finally launching......developer is Baker Development.......so I suppose look for visible demo starting on site soon....
Yep, I owned a unit in this building (never lived in it but rented out), it's known for having the tennis courts next to EL.

I took a buyout about 6 months ago, and I belive everyone is close to out who lives there. Will be great for that stretch of Lincoln.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 4:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
They need some serious foundation—and City Hall—support.
And fighting City Hall on the Lucas Museum moves them much further away from gaining City Hall support. Can't have it both ways.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
West Loop NIMBY heads are going to explode over that H20 proposal....
Actually I do not think they will put up much of a fight on this. There are taller buildings right next door to it and it is only 1 block off Halsted which seems to be their delineating boundary. They have a right to put up a fight that it is basically a huge block that presents a massive slab to Green St. But I guess with the backside of Marianos there it does not matter. Green St will be like an alley on that section.

Last edited by Chi-Sky21; Mar 17, 2016 at 6:24 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 5:23 PM
Urbane observer

That's really nice!

I wish we could see more things like this in the West and South Loop: modest projects that are modern interpretations of Chicago's great heritage of industrial architecture. New construction loft projects that look and work like real lofts!

Do we know who the architect is?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 5:26 PM
you know where I'll be

^ I agree with you. Would really like to know who's designing this as well........my first guess might be bKL.......

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 5:34 PM

mich ave apple store

Surveying crew was out at the new spot for mich ave apple store today. The area below ground is also swimming with construction workers.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 5:35 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
They feel "betrayed" because they are idiots. Their poor understanding of economics probably pays a part in why the economy left them behind.

I love the notion that it's the city's fault that thousands of individual private investors and their lenders aren't investing in their part of town. That "Rahm" keeps building towers for the wealthy downtown but what about us? I'm betting that there are lots of people who literally believe that.

Yikes.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 5:36 PM

Quote:

I wish we could see more things like this in the West and South Loop: modest projects that are modern interpretations of Chicago's great heritage of industrial architecture. New construction loft projects that look and work like real lofts!

I agree as well. I think 8-12 story buildings is the scale Chicago needs to be building more of.

I would also throw in Morris Adjmi as a possibility. His aesthetic matches the look that new development in the West Loop is moving towards.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 5:42 PM
THAT Guy

845 W Madison looks pretty good (nice find, Sam!). I can't really tell what corner we're looking at in the rendering, but does this building actually cover the entire block? I'm also curious about timing, because it seemed as if they were looking for someone to sublease the current H2O building for a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
West Loop NIMBY heads are going to explode over that H20 proposal....
They're too busy worrying about 111 S Peoria. I hesitate to post a NIMBY website, but it does show the latest design: http://111speoria.com/

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 5:48 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
As for Central Park, Olmsted had some terrain to work with in Manhattan. He had some hills to use to make the Transverse Drives more unobtrusive, and was working in the naturalistic landscape tradition. Alas, Bennett had no hills to help him with Grant Park, and chose to work in the formal French tradition.
No doubt. I think Columbus Drive could be drastically narrowed, though. Abandon the west half of the street and turn it into a mix of lawns and paths, without abandoning the axial design - sort of like the National Mall. What remains would be a 4-lane road with a left turn lane at intersections and no curbside parking.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 5:50 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Thanks, and a "nice find" from you counts as some of the highest praise on these pages for certain......

Well, on 111 S Peoria, my take is that the fight there is over, and they've lost (unless they try to do something silly such as file a baseless lawsuit or something), as that one is on this afternoon's Plan Commission agenda, no? (downscaled, 70-something unit condo version)......

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 5:52 PM
TL;DR

Quote:

That's really nice!

Yeah, it's like the Starrett Lehigh Building but with massing more appropriate for residential.

I'm dismayed by the auto turnaround, though. Surely that's not necessary? The plaza space would be better used for outdoor dining...

crains ny

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
They're too busy worrying about 111 S Peoria. I hesitate to post a NIMBY website, but it does show the latest design: http://111speoria.com/
It will be next up for them to have kittens over since 111 S. Peoria is probably getting approved. Heights look to be somewhat comparable and this will be a lot larger building. Brace for the impending shitstorm.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 6:02 PM
Urbane observer

The Grant Park Framework Plan recommends removing parking lanes from Columbus and standardizing lane widths at 11 feet, but actually expanding the hardscape (with special paving) for festival use.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 6:17 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^ Agree with Mr. D's point, and I would even extend the boundary south even further, all the way into Hyde Park...maybe it's thoughtful projects like this that can help revitalize neighborhoods on the South Side

Maybe just wishful thinking on my part...

Also, since this is less than 12 stories, we should move this discussion into the General development thread..

Last edited by sentinel; Mar 17, 2016 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 6:20 PM

Soil testing rig at Milwaukee/Western TOD site today.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 6:30 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
To me it reminded me of a version of Navy Pier and is set up for tourists. I was nearby so I though I would walk over and check it out. I made the mistake of going there having to go to the bathroom assuming that I could find a bathroom there.
Not too many tourists use climbing walls.

Also, Maggie Daley has two bathrooms, one by the north side, one by the south side.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 6:31 PM
The City

Quote:
The Grant Park Framework Plan recommends removing parking lanes from Columbus and standardizing lane widths at 11 feet, but actually expanding the hardscape (with special paving) for festival use.

^ Something like that is what I have often had in mind.

You obviously would stir a shitstorm if you got rid of the ROW altogether, but making it more pedestrian friendly and implementing some major road diets may be more palatable if people are shown the benefits.

I also think that Grant Park badly needs a network of underground pedestrian tunnels. You should be able to traverse from one end of Grant Park to the other without having to cross a single street.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 7:04 PM

That plan only shrinks the road by 8'. It should be alot smaller. I never see hardly any traffic on Columbus. Its usually empty when I drive through there, I use it as a cuttoff to get around the LSD traffic and you can fly through there. But that's a terrible use for a park that I'd gladly loose. At most it needs 1 lane in each direction.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2016, 7:18 PM
Urbane observer

Lots of challenges in the modern world for pedestrian underpasses. They need really long slopes to meet ADA guidelines, so they end up dividing the park even more than the roads do. When the tunnels are lengthy, dank, or urine-scented, people don't like to use them. Just think about the ones under North Lake Shore Drive, at Buena or Addison or Roscoe or North Ave.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development