HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 9:58 PM

Well since I have a Tim's about a two minuet hop from my work then I gotta admit I do drink alot of their coffee, and I will continue to do so until I dont have a Tim's conveniently located next to where I spend half my awake time. Its not great coffee by any means but its still coffee and its good enough for me, I dont always need the best of the best, usually cheap coffee is good enough for me. Infact the cheap coffee is often times better than the so called good coffees, you know it quenches the thirst and with all the sugar and cream you get in there it goes down quick and easy andc does its job of giving you a boost. 90% of the time that I drink coffee I just want a boost, thats all, Tim's gets the job done.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 12:04 AM

i used to like them but with so many bad experiences lately they are not looking good to me so much

before they started trucking in their donuts and made them in store they were much better

they need to be more consistant - some locations are better than others and it really deters one - the closest one to my work is pretty bad

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:01 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

I don't care much for the bilge water they call "coffee" at Tim Horton's. Ugh. In fact, I try to avoid TH's like the plague. I'd rather have a coffee from Second Cup or Blenz (if I'm in Vancouver - Second Cup appears to be non-existent in Van, as I've yet to see one there), thank you.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 6:09 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

eh its just another starbucks to me

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 7:07 PM
David

very true about the inconsistency between different tim hortons. i can't believe how drastically different the quality is between locations

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 9:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I've drank Tim's "coffee" for many years; still do when lacking choice. But c'mon, you gotta admit that Tim's coffee has deteroriated over the years. And don't get me started on their donuts. Compare a 1980 Apple Fritter to today's Apple Fritter...there is just no comparison (except that today's is much inferior)

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I've drank Tim's "coffee" for many years; still do when lacking choice. But c'mon, you gotta admit that Tim's coffee has deteroriated over the years. And don't get me started on their donuts. Compare a 1980 Apple Fritter to today's Apple Fritter...there is just no comparison (except that today's is much inferior)
Hmm, you have any 1980's Apple Fritter in the freezer for me to try?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 11:02 PM

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur View Post
I don't care much for the bilge water they call "coffee" at Tim Horton's. Ugh. In fact, I try to avoid TH's like the plague. I'd rather have a coffee from Second Cup or Blenz (if I'm in Vancouver - Second Cup appears to be non-existent in Van, as I've yet to see one there), thank you.
there are very few of them
1 in park royal, 1 on burrard - i think its in the underground maze of bental, 1 on oak street, 1 in south surrey - only 4 of them

there used to be one on Denman @ davie but it closed a while ago

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 10:28 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post

X2

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 11:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
very true about the inconsistency between different tim hortons. i can't believe how drastically different the quality is between locations
I have no idea what you're talking about. I've had Tim's coffee from BC to Onterrible and everywhere in between and the best thing about Tim's is how consistent their coffee is. Not consistently great, but consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
In 2003 I got kicked out from a Tim's while I was studying and I boycotted them for a year.
I'd love to hear that story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravman View Post
BOOOO... i have never had a problem with them....

They are Canadian... lol nonetheless, there are problem with all fast food companies... its just how it is... would be lot worse if it were an American company
Uh, they were an American company Einstein and you know what? Things weren't much different. Are you normally this anti-American?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duener View Post
I always found the cult like status of Tim Horton's a bit strange. I think it makes sense if you live in some bland suburb in Ontario where your coffee options are limited and you're trying to be patriotic by patronizing a Canadian owned chain.
Exactly!

Where I was (a small shithole town in Northern Onterrible) Tim Hortons was a life saver! But then that's because the only competition were local greasy spoons that served hot dog water. The first time I tasted starbucks eons ago I had a caffeine-induced epiphany and realized that this is what coffee was supposed to taste like all along. Another thing I like about starbucks is how as a customer I actually seem to matter to them. With Tim's, I find the customer is usually an afterthought. I once counted nine employees while I got ignored at the counter. While I like Tims coffee, there is no business I have driven away from more over the years because i'm not interested in standing around for 20 minutes just to get a coffee all because the company is too cheap to hire extra staff and/or pay the staff they have. Starbucks pays their staff better and offers more benefits so it's little wonder I get better service there and the company is 6X bigger than Tim's.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Dec 11, 2008 at 11:45 AM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2008, 6:10 PM
David

I wasn't really referring to the quality of the coffee. I enjoy their coffee once in awhile, but I more often have food or dessert and that is where the quality differs. Here in PoCo we have the "good" Tim Hortons and the "bad" Tim Hortons, and they are both good at staying true to their reputations. The bad one always has gross food that is sloppily made by people giving you terrible service.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 4:32 AM

And I have had inconsistent coffee from place to place at Tim Horton's. Why would I make this up? I go there all the time, I'm not out to get them...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 12:20 PM

theres a story on cnn morning news about the coffee war between mcdonalds and starbucks in the states

mcdonalds is running ads or billboards that say "four bucks is dumb"

taking advantage of the economy i guess

they have upped the coffee drinks they offer too apaprently

they did a taste test live on the air too

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 1:57 PM
I am a typical

I have never had good hot chocolate from Tim Horton's. It always tastes like wax.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 5:32 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I'd ask you how you know what wax tastes like but I can see you're from Thunder Bay.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 6:17 PM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
theres a story on cnn morning news about the coffee war between mcdonalds and starbucks in the states

mcdonalds is running ads or billboards that say "four bucks is dumb"

taking advantage of the economy i guess

they have upped the coffee drinks they offer too apaprently

they did a taste test live on the air too
I keep hearing how McD's is selling gourmet coffee in the U.S. But what about Canada?

I drink McD's coffee from time to time, and compared to SBUX or Tims, it still tastes pretty awful. Is McDonalds Canada planning on bringing a decent cup of java north of the border?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I'd ask you how you know what wax tastes like but I can see you're from Thunder Bay.
I am also originally from Thunder Bay.

And therefore as an expert, I can tell you that wax tastes like, well, wax...

Didn't they have those wax lips when you were a kid, Jlousa?

Oh and just to defend my hometown a little bit, there are far worse places to live in this country.
I would never move back home, but this year in Edmonton is more depressing than an entire childhood in Tbay.

Last edited by dreambrother808; Dec 12, 2008 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 7:49 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I was just poking fun at Vid.
The only wax I've ever tasted was incidently from Tim hortons cups when you use your teeth to roll up the rim.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 3:18 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
I keep hearing how McD's is selling gourmet coffee in the U.S. But what about Canada?

I drink McD's coffee from time to time, and compared to SBUX or Tims, it still tastes pretty awful. Is McDonalds Canada planning on bringing a decent cup of java north of the border?
McDonalds has McCafe here in Asia. It's in direct competition with Starbucks. The layout is the exact same. They even have cake, sandwiches and pastries.
I'm not sure if it would fly in Canada, but it's hugely popular in places like HK.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining