HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 6:11 PM
Very nice!

Visiting Vancouver - Restaurant Suggestions?

Hey everyone,

I sincerely hope I have posted this thread in the right section. Im doing a weekend in Vancouver, with one other person. That other person is not 19 yet, so that rules out bars and pubs and all that stuff.

Were staying at the Best Western Downtown on Drake and Granville (southern downtown area?). We wont have a rental car, but have cabs and public transport at our disposal. Im hoping that you could suggest some places we should eat. We fly in Friday Afternoon and Fly out Monday Morning.

We dont really have a budget for food. We were thinking we might go to Lumiere one night, but I've heard its under-gone some changes. Is it still 'good'? we would also maybe like to go and eat some Chinese food, Indian perhaps? Would reservations be necessary at most places on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday night in Vancouver?

Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 6:18 PM

Definitely make reservations at any "well known" restaurant, whether it's a Tuesday or Friday.

My favorite restaurants...
Indian, India Gate at 616 Robson Street (figure $20 per person)
Japanese, Shabusen Yakiniku at 202-755 Burrard Street ($28 per person, but it's a good "all you can eat" option)
Really good steaks, Gotham Steakhouse at 615 Seymour Street ($40 - $50 per person not including drinks is not unreasonable)
http://www.gothamsteakhouse.com/

I'm sure there are many other suggestions, but from what I've found during my binges of eating out, those are top notch, and all located downtown.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 6:52 PM

Try the new Market restaurant in the Shangri-la hotel. The prices are very reasonable. You can find the menus here:

http://www.shangri-la.com/en/propert...taurant/market

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 6:57 PM
Shoebox Dweller

My favourite restaurants:

Wings (tons of flavours of wings, between 3-6pm is their $0.35 wing special): Wings on Granville -http://www.greatwings.ca/ ($15-$20/person depending upon how much you can eat)
Classy Belgian Food: Chambar - http://www.chambar.com/ ($35-$50/person)
Indian Food (across the bridge, but insanely good - take the #16 or #17 on Howe to get to it): Maurya - http://www.mauryaindiancuisine.com/ ($20-$35/person)
Japanese Food (several locations - Izakaya House): Guu - http://www.guu-izakaya.com/ ($15-$35/person)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 7:10 PM
Yellow Fever

For chinese food I would suggest the Kirin Mandarin restaurant on 1504-1166 Alberni street, not far from Shangri La tower.

When you go shopping at Metro town mall, there is also a good chinese reataurant (I forgot the name) by the skytrain station.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Really good steaks, Gotham Steakhouse at 615 Seymour Street ($40 - $50 per person not including drinks is not unreasonable)
http://www.gothamsteakhouse.com/
Jesus, they require you to wear a suit and tie for those 50-60 dollar steaks?

What are the portions liek? I might have to check this place out next time I'm in town.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 9:23 PM

subeez on homer and smithe is good - the chicken brie sandwich is my fave there

don't get the sangria though - its pretty gross

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 3:24 AM

My favorites / standards:

On the Waterfront with Great Views of the North Shore Mountains, Stanley Park, and Coal Harbour: LIFT. Steaks, Seafood, Creative dishes. Great Drinks and good wine menu.

Downtown / Eastern part of Robson: ARIA at the Westin Grand near Robson and Homer (seems little known by locals, but it's one of my favorites). Nice atmosphere, great service in a really sophisticated smaller dining area that overlooks the main library and library plaza. Continental dishes on a smaller menu, but it is great food, well prepared. Excellent soup appetizers and salads followed by consistently delicious entrees. Good selection of well-priced wines.

Off South Granville (11th St perhaps?): VIJ'S and VIJ'S RANGOLI. Modern take on Indian cuisine. I actually prefer Rangoli, the more casual spot. Food is delicious - Rangoli's is a great lunch place.

Cool Spot near but not in Yaletown (on Davie just below corner of Granville & Davie): BIN 941. No reservation for a small little place so prepare to wait or show up right at 5:00 pm when they open. Incredible tapas, though, and great wines. Really unique atmosphere.

On Davie a few blocks east of Denman: LOLITAS. Great mixed drinks (infused vodkas and fresh muddled fruits, etc). Really tasty and well-priced mexican tapa dishes. I was surprised how good it was since it looks like a little hole-in-the-wall place from the street. I've had a great time the two times I've dined there, though a friend said they felt service could be spotty sometimes if they are really busy.

Last edited by johnjimbc; Feb 16, 2009 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 6:42 AM

I wish you were coming when the Canada Line is operating because I would mostly go to Richmond for reliable Chinese food that's gastronimically accessible. And for the best bubbletea!!! And the best personal hot pots!! And the best desserts!

I would recommend Mortons's on W. Hasting rather than Gotham.

I also love Italian Kitchen on Alberni as well as Glowbal in Yaletown. From the same owners of Italian Kitchen and Glowbal is also Trattoria Italian Kitchen on 4th & Burrard.

I'd also try Lift in Coal Harbour.

For really casual Japanese, go to Oysi Oysi on Alberni. They have great service, great prices, great portions, and superbly fresh fish. Or you can try MoMo's in Gastown

If you want to venture out to hip Main St., check out Cascade Room (Main and 11th) and their adjacent Habit (but I think that is under renovations).

Let us know how your visit goes. By the way, Where are you visiting from?

Last edited by nova9; Feb 16, 2009 at 3:51 PM. Reason: grammar stuff.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 7:11 AM

I agree with the Italian Kitchen. I have my gripes about the place, but it has nothing to do with the quality of the food. It is yummy.

The Kobe beef meatballs with the truffle sauce is super (only on the dinner menu, but you can request at lunch time).

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 3:31 PM

for brunch, Le Provence Marianaside on Marianaside in yaletown.
for something seafood Blue Water Cafe in yaletown is very good but a little expensive.

I agree Gotham is really good. Although the cactus club in yaletown has amazing steaks even better than Gotham and for half the cost.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 4:08 PM

I had brunch at Reef on Commercial a while back and was impressed with their Jamaican take on breakfast. Both the crabcake and jerk salmon benedicts were excellent.

http://www.thereefrestaurant.com/

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmp.dll View Post
We were thinking we might go to Lumiere one night, but I've heard its under-gone some changes. Is it still 'good'? Thanks.
I was at Lumiere last month, post re-launch. Food was phenomenal, as should be expected, but it was the service that made the night. Easily the best all around service I have ever had. If you have the $$, I would highly recommend.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanlaw View Post
I was at Lumiere last month, post re-launch. Food was phenomenal, as should be expected, but it was the service that made the night. Easily the best all around service I have ever had. If you have the $$, I would highly recommend.
And you could also head over to DB Modern to have a go at a restaurant led by a michelin-rated chef!!

I have yet to go but I'm saving up for my michelin star smorgasborg (sp?) in Paris. 25 days away!

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 3:31 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_B_Russell View Post
I had brunch at Reef on Commercial a while back and was impressed with their Jamaican take on breakfast. Both the crabcake and jerk salmon benedicts were excellent.

http://www.thereefrestaurant.com/
The Reef is great. My friend works there, so I've had a lot on the menu. The sauces they make are so nice.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
The Reef is great. My friend works there, so I've had a lot on the menu. The sauces they make are so nice.
Straight up! Their hot sauce is badass.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 7:21 PM

You'll want to go to Richmond and try one of the many restaurants on No.3 road. Lots of Asian food of all kinds there.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 6:28 AM

Agreed that Shangri-La is reasonable for the quality of the food - it's a Jean-Georges restaurant...

However, you are tourists - so that means that you should eat somewhere with a view - otherwise you wouldn't know you're in Vancouver, would you?

As mentioned, try Provence Marinaside - Davie St. and Marinaside Crescent - on the Concord Lands right next to Yaletown.

Alternatively, try almost any restaurant in Yaletown for a warehousey feel (big wood beams, brick)(exceptions to the warehouse look are Goldfish Pacific Kitchen, Glowbal, Cioppinos).

If you go to Granville Island - try Bridges (big yellow building next to the market).

If you go near Stanley Park, try the aforementioned Lift, which is just behind the Westin Bayshore on the seawall, or Cardero's, which is just east of the Westin Bayshore on the seawall.

Each of those places have great views.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 7:24 AM

Hey if you want somewhere with a view why kid around... go to the grand daddy of them all: Salmon House on the Hill.

Great food and a view unbeatable anywhere in the world.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 7:25 AM

what hill is that on?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining