HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Every city developed after the world wars is a car centric city. Once the interstates were built and suburbs became a hit with families, car centric was the way of the future.

That doesn't change the fact that sure, they'll get in their car, but they aren't driving to stone oak or la canters every time. They'll drive to Southtown or the pearl or Alamo heights. Just like New Yorkers drive to other areas. Just like people in Washington DC drive to other places whether near or far. Just like Chicagoans drive to other areas. Just like Parisians drive. None of those dense. And urban cities are carless. San Antonio will never be carless. These urban infill projects are great and sure they'd be better with street level retail or commercial space, but that doesn't change that they're great projects none the less, because those residents will walk, bike, jog, drive, car pool, bus, uber, taxi, pedicab, barge their way to areas immediately surrounding them because those areas will attract them, for the same reason the housing attracted them.
It's easy to accept things the way they are. It takes a little effort to make things a little better. It takes some work to make things as good as possible. I don't mind having a positive attitude and doing a little hard work to do the things I do in the best way possible. I wish these developers had the same attitude.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
It's easy to accept things the way they are. It takes a little effort to make things a little better. It takes some work to make things as good as possible. I don't mind having a positive attitude and doing a little hard work to do the things I do in the best way possible. I wish these developers had the same attitude.
I tend to agree with you and also with the folks who are just happy with increased density. It would be nice if there was a policy focus on live work or first floor apartments with commercial capability. The fact is that we have so much space that is underutilized for commercial. Any one of these apartment developments has vacant or underutilized lots up and down both ways of the street. And frankly those developments with retail components have traditionally struggled to sign up and keep tenants.

I am game for housing/density focus until demand dictates need for first floor retail. Honestly most of this 3-4-5 story development is of such inferior quality that it is not built to last more that 40 years. Knowing that SA is probably 10-20 years behind other sunbelt cities in urban core development can you cite examples of cities who overbuilt on the residential side only to realize that they have failed in the retail/commercial/entertainment side? It is possible to have an interesting mix of higher density residential areas with dining/entertainment in nearby zones. From places I have lived I would consider Austin with the Rainey street area and Dallas with the Knox/Henderson area. Not exactly high urbanism I know, but where can you find that in cities with our development patterns?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 9:24 PM

Consider: there is nothing preventing complexes like this from remodeling portions of the first floor later to suit ground level retail once population density demands it.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot Yancey View Post

It is possible to have an interesting mix of higher density residential areas with dining/entertainment in nearby zones. From places I have lived I would consider Austin with the Rainey street area and Dallas with the Knox/Henderson area. Not exactly high urbanism I know, but where can you find that in cities with our development patterns?
The Pearl and the future Lone Star development offer everything you mentioned. Also, Blue Star and the hundreds of apartments around it too.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio