HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 3:43 PM

Sharing the Road.

Saw this while in London. I was impressed by the lack of conflict I saw with road users in London in-spite of the congestion.

http://www.roadhug.org/

I can see a campaign like this here.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 4:16 PM
Community Guy

ha... that would be the day here

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 4:22 PM

It was quite in your face, Plus most riders were wearing high vis jackets.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 4:24 PM
HVAC guru

I bet they don't run straight pipes on their motorcycles either

For what it's worth, I've been out on my road bike a few times and traffic seems unusually accomodating given the absence of anything two-wheeled on the road for the past 7 months.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I bet they don't run straight pipes on their motorcycles either

For what it's worth, I've been out on my road bike a few times and traffic seems unusually accomodating given the absence of anything two-wheeled on the road for the past 7 months.
Funny you should mention straight pipes. Saw a number of Harleys and Triumphs, all had muffled exhaust. Loudest vehicles were the Bentley and Aston Martin coupes.

After living and riding my bike in TO the London roads were down right civilized.

I'll see if thing are different when I start riding my bike into the office.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 4:37 PM
Community Guy

When I borrowed my buddy's fixie in Brooklyn, I was amazed at how respectful people were...

Last edited by Coldrsx; Mar 30, 2011 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 4:43 PM
HVAC guru

I'll be riding to work as soon as the weather gets a little better... luckily most of my ride is on the LRT ROW so I don't have to be too keen about minding traffic. The worst place for lack of driver attention is at 112 ave at 84 st. I love it when they just pretend like they don't see you.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 4:49 PM
Community Guy

I love how drivers downtown dont think pedestrians exist here and turn right or left without looking. I remind them with a kind wave.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 4:54 PM
DRINK

Walking to work the last year has been an eye opener on how poorly drivers treat pedestrians.

There has been some incidental contact...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 5:07 PM

Its got to be a Canadian thing. Brother was hit while riding in TO and while he was bleeding on the side of the road the woman got out of her car and started screaming at him all while she was on the phone.

And I had a close encounter here when a Mercedes tried to force me off the road. Needless to say there is now a cleat make on his fender.

However I will try to make myself more visible when riding this year. I have to put in allot of millage before Sept.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 5:14 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I love how drivers downtown dont think pedestrians exist here and turn right or left without looking. I remind them with a kind wave.
I've gone further than this.

I was crossing 100ave at 114th street (marked crossing with flashing amber lights activated) and I was halfway across the road when some lexus suv came flying through where I was about to cross (cell phone glued to ear of course). Luckily I was alert and attentive to motorists I stopped before going past the centerline. I punched the backend of the SUV. You should've seen how quickly he stopped and got out of his SUV and then starting running in my direction. I yelled at him - "looks like your brakes ACTUALLY do work". he turned around got back on his phone and floored it out of there. Pretty sure I left a dent. My hand hurt for a few days, but it was so worth it.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 5:18 PM
Community Guy

^I face death every single day at 99ave/105st's crossing... people roar up the hill and dont give a robin.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 5:31 PM

First rule is Make eye contact with the driver.

Then if they don't see you throw your coffee at them.

One of the best near misses I have, In Calgary teaching a bike course to the cops. 30 of us riding through Bowness. Cops are all decked out with police on their backs, as part of the training they stop at intersection and hold traffic till we are all through. Some zipper head decide he can't waits and blast through. This as a cop was standing in front of him with the police label facing him. I believe every-time the police spotted this guy during the week he was stopped for document checks.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 6:00 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
^I face death every single day at 99ave/105st's crossing... people roar up the hill and dont give a robin.
We've walked up the hill and across that intersection a few times to get a coffee.... fully concur, that is a dangerous pedestrian crossing due tot he vehicles blasting up the hill and either not seeing or choosing to ignore the signal

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 6:07 PM
Community Guy

The best part about that crossing is when they have radar at the top and cars barely stop still. I can watch from my balcony, it is fun.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 6:08 PM

I've had very few pedestrian issues myself, especially they installed the ambe crosswalk signal across Bellamy Hill @ 99 Ave. I have the most trouble with the unsignalled crosswalk across Jasper Ave @ 113 St, which is in dire need of an amber signal. In fact, the inconsistency of crosswalks (unsignalled, ambers, red lights) is one of my pet peeves in this burg.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 6:29 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
The best part about that crossing is when they have radar at the top and cars barely stop still. I can watch from my balcony, it is fun.
I just about pasted a motorcyclist going up that hill once.... I was in my work truck (1 ton GMC ext. cab) towing a 18' flat deck with cooling tower strapped to it going up the hill, checked my mirror to merge left and just as I glanced away this organ donor comes racing up behind me at at least 100kph & cuts to the left to pass me... I pulled back into my lane at the last minute but it could have been game over for that dude

Another bad interesection closer to where i live is 82 st just north of the LRT tracks... NOBODY stops. I've lobbied to get a controlled corsswalk put there but so far no dice.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 7:35 PM

Getting back to the topic at hand. Due you think if this program was started here, would it eventually lead to better relations (better understanding) with all road users.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 7:40 PM
HVAC guru

^ Part of the problem is the infrastructure itself... from a cycling standpoint anyways our roads are not condusive to cycling unless you are an experienced rider confortable intermingling with traffic

I'd like to see Edmonton take some cues from Vancouvers' cycling infrastructure to create a safer enviroment for more cyclists to use the roads.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 7:59 PM
DRINK

Since we are all telling stories...

One of the days after a foot of snow a couple months ago I was walking down the alley to my office. There was a parked moving van on one side and as I begin to walk by this van a Jeep had just turned into the alley at the far end. The jeep gets to the Van before I pass it and instead of stoping to let me pass he procedes, thus pushing me into deep ass fresh snow. I stand on the far tire track (im not going to stand in 18" of fresh snow, fancy work shoes and pants) and it becomes obvious were not all going to fit. I end up throwing a good shoulder into the mirror and slam it into the guys window.

I also love the guys who cheat on advance left turn greens and stretch it into the walking signal, rushing to beat the oncoming cars, but oblivious to the pedestrians who have already started. I've punch a few rear quarter panals.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton