HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 11:18 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
I think you're probably right. A "no" vote would be high risk proposition. It could mean we end up with a more motivated Metro (as much as I like public transit, the organization itself is subpar in my opinion) and a better ballot measure. OR it could be no more efforts to expand in the foreseeable future.

On your point of the Olympics, if we are indeed selected, I think it would be much easier to make the argument that the Federal government should be directing serious money to LA transit if we demonstrate both local support and local funding through this measure.

As dissatisfied as I am with this measure and Metro's lack of desire for preemption, I have decided I'll definitely reluctantly vote "yes" while crossing my fingers that we get the Olympics and score a jackpot with accelerated projects and maybe even an extension of the Purple Line into Santa Monica (maybe not realistic, but one can hope).
I think you'll be extremely disappointed if you believe LA transit will win Federal dollars from nowhere if they won another Olympic hosting bid. Did LA transit win lots of Federal dollars the last two times they hosted the Olympics?

History shows they didn't in the past and they will not fair better in the future.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKid View Post
I think you're probably right. A "no" vote would be high risk proposition. It could mean we end up with a more motivated Metro (as much as I like public transit, the organization itself is subpar in my opinion) and a better ballot measure. OR it could be no more efforts to expand in the foreseeable future.

On your point of the Olympics, if we are indeed selected, I think it would be much easier to make the argument that the Federal government should be directing serious money to LA transit if we demonstrate both local support and local funding through this measure.

As dissatisfied as I am with this measure and Metro's lack of desire for preemption, I have decided I'll definitely reluctantly vote "yes" while crossing my fingers that we get the Olympics and score a jackpot with accelerated projects and maybe even an extension of the Purple Line into Santa Monica (maybe not realistic, but one can hope).
Yeah it sucks I know, but we seem to have been pushed into a corner this time around.

I remember someone posting an article here before that said if we win the Olympics, we'll most likely get the purple line extension done before the games even begin with the extra fed dollars and other rail projects will be ramped up, not to mention money thrown at LAX and street repavements and beautification. Hopefully that's true.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 11:27 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Yeah it sucks I know, but we seem to have been pushed into a corner this time around.

I remember someone posting an article here before that said if we win the Olympics, we'll most likely get the purple line extension done before the games even begin with the extra fed dollars and other rail projects will be ramped up, not to mention money thrown at LAX and street repavements and beautification. Hopefully that's true.
Hope isn't fact. LA has successfully hosted the Olympics twice without a Purple Line extension, I believe they can do so again without it.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 12:52 AM

Lightbulb

^^^You cant compare one period/situation in time to one that is dealing with a totally different scenario. LA had the worlds largest transportation network in 1932, rail lines in fact already reached the west side. In 1984, we realized we absolutely needed transit and have been building rail lines ever since, and seeing how the Santa Monica/westwood area is going to be used heavily this time around for the games, a purple line extension will surely be needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
I think you'll be extremely disappointed if you believe LA transit will win Federal dollars from nowhere if they won another Olympic hosting bid. Did LA transit win lots of Federal dollars the last two times they hosted the Olympics?

History shows they didn't in the past and they will not fair better in the future.
Are you 100% sure about that ? I did some fact checking.

The feds have in fact spent billions on the Olympic games.

The feds spent almost $1.3 billion for the Utah winter games in 2002, $609 million for the Atlanta games in 96 and 75+ million on the LA games in 84.

"Did LA get a lot of funding for its transportation network the other 2 times"

Here's the problem with your statement, you left out the details.

1932, LA wasn't as spread out as it is now BUT it already had the WORLDS LARGEST electric rail system, fully functional and fairly new, so the Very small amount ( you forgot to mention this was during the great depression) of fed money that did go to the games Helped with simple maintenance of that system and other things directly related to the games.

1984, LA was still in denial about transit, Angelenos still didn't really want it and we still loved our cars, our honest mistake. So part of that 75+ million went towards freeway/street maintenance and other things directly related to the games.

So to answer your question.

"Did LAs transit win lots of fed dollars the last times?"

1932 didn't need it and 1984 didn't want it.

"Do you think that the feds will pump money into the system this time around"?

YES, there has already been a few publications that have stated this. With Congress AND the Senate unanimously(which never happens) backing the bid recently, and Angelenos this time around are nearly 100% all for the expansion of our rail system, I don't see why the feds wouldn't HELP

No one is asking the feds to fully fund all of LAs transportation needs. But, as a vital component of this countries economy and what will be the poster child of America for a few months for the Olympics, it would be fair to ask them to at least HELP.

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 25, 2016 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 7:55 PM

Redlands Passenger Rail Project gets federal grant boost

Redlands Passenger Rail Project gets federal grant boost

By Sandra Emerson
San Bernardino Sun
7/28/16

"REDLANDS >> The project to bring passenger rail service to Redlands will receive a funding boost from the federal government.

The Department of Transportation has awarded the San Bernardino Associated Governments, or SanBAG, an $8.6 million grant for the Redlands Passenger Rail Project.

“It helps secure the funding package for the project, but it also illustrates that the region is doing projects that are significant,” said Tim Watkins, SanBAG’s chief of legislative and public affairs. “We’re excited about it...”

http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/20...al-grant-boost

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 5:12 PM

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 6:41 PM

Metro posted another update on Crenshaw construction... starting to look like a rail line.

http://thesource.metro.net/2016/08/1...ry-for-august/

LAX Trench

Green line connector

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 8:15 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Pretty significant news here. We've taken another step toward achieving 2-minute headways on the Red/Purple spine and getting the ball rolling on an Arts District extension.

Quote:
Metro wins grant to speed up Red, Purple Line service at Union Station

By Elijah Chiland
August 17, 2016

The state awarded a $69 million grant Tuesday to Metro aimed at helping it speed up service on the Red and Purple lines at Union Station.

The lines end at the station, where trains must stop and switch direction. As anyone who’s waited for the train there will tell you, it can take a few minutes. But now Metro has nearly half of the $162 million it needs to expedite this process. The project will allow trains to continue on past Union Station and into a maintenance yard, where they will switch direction. This is expected to speed up the schedule considerably, more than halving the time between trains during peak hours. Without the end-of-the-line delay, Metro predicts 30 trains per hour will be able to pass through Union Station in both directions, with Red and Purple Line trains arriving as often as every four minutes. Currently, the trains arrive every 10 minutes during peak hours.

http://la.curbed.com/2016/8/17/12514...-union-station

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
Metro posted another update on Crenshaw construction... starting to look like a rail line.

http://thesource.metro.net/2016/08/1...ry-for-august/

LAX Trench

Green line connector
Look at that-- investing in transit is creating good American jobs!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Pretty significant news here. We've taken another step toward achieving 2-minute headways on the Red/Purple spine and getting the ball rolling on an Arts District extension.

http://la.curbed.com/2016/8/17/12514...-union-station
As a daily Red Line Commuter and a regular visitor to the Arts District, this is the best new ever! When I got back from London last month, the thing i was most envious of was the frequency of their tube service. Now all we need are some new trains and more security.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 7:13 PM

Exclamation

I was in LA last month and got a chance to ride Expo to Santa Monica.

I thought it was perfectly fine 48 minute ride but one thing that hasn't changed: I really REALLY don't like that segment on Flower Street. I think it was a miss to not have Pico station underground and the junction at Washington is just... ugh.

Either way, even with the lack of much needed signal priority - smoothish ride. Enjoyed the views once you go west of Culver City station.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 11:42 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

I've been taking the Expo Line on a regular basis for a while now. Speed is an issue not just along Flower, but also on the ROW stretching as far west as Crenshaw; this segment should really be in a subway configuration.

The service itself is not satisfying the demand, which warrants 3-car trains (preferably Kinkisharyo P3010s) every 6 minutes during peak hours. Nothing's worse than a packed 2-car Nippon Sharyo; those trains are so gross. I can't wait for their retirement in a few years.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 1:22 AM

When the Metro Blue Line was built and just opened, going through the section where Pico station is was pretty much parking lots; lots and lots of parking lots and warehouse buildings. Now it is like a completely different esp with those highrises being built right next to the station on the west and all those newer built, under construction buildings to the east. LA Live/Staples wasnt even built yet when it opened.

I wonder what it will be like when everything is built out, more traffic, slower Metro service going through intersections. I wonder when the Regional connector opens in 4-5 years if the service will be faster. Sometimes the delays along Flower is because they are waiting for trains to leave so there is space for the incoming trains to deboard track 1, then turn around to track 2 (or is it 2-1 track). This happens along the red/purple at Union Station. Announcement of more service with the money so trains can continue and turn around at maintenance yard.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 12:08 AM

Pico station is going to have capacity problems. It already has trouble handling surge capacity when people leave Staples after a game. Since underground station is out of the question (too expensive and no staging area... should have build it while they were excavating Circa), I think Metro should seriously start planning for a 3 platform surface level station to replace the current single platform joke. There is plenty of space left in the public right of way... we just need to reduce Flower to a single auxiliary lane for Circa garage and delivery entrance.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 3:57 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
Pico station is going to have capacity problems. It already has trouble handling surge capacity when people leave Staples after a game. Since underground station is out of the question (too expensive and no staging area... should have build it while they were excavating Circa), I think Metro should seriously start planning for a 3 platform surface level station to replace the current single platform joke. There is plenty of space left in the public right of way... we just need to reduce Flower to a single auxiliary lane for Circa garage and delivery entrance.
Two platforms would do the job, what's needed is a third rail line to act as a pocket track at Pico for pre-staged trains.

south track-south platform-pocket track-north platform-north track

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 6:45 PM

Putting Pico station underground wouldn't be terribly hard or expensive. Its not like they are using a TBM. Pico Station is prime for the cut and cover technique that they are using to build the stations for the purple line extension.

Flower street in that area isn't terribly used to max car capacity most hours/days (or at least the times I travel that area). Close off flower at Pico, dig up the entire street, put the tracks under ground and call it a day. Circa and the future onni Project will already help with bracing walls. Adding more bracing would be a breeze. They do it all the time around the world in even tougher locations. If they can dig tunnels through old Rome, Paris and London with their narrow streets, it shouldn't be considered hard here with a one way 5 lane highway.

Adding/extending the station for more capacity is just half assing a fix to the problem with a band aid. But a bigger problem that i see is the fact that the entire section of track from Pico all the way to the 10 freeway needs to be put underground, not just Pico station. The new tunnel should begin just south of the 10.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
When the Metro Blue Line was built and just opened, going through the section where Pico station is was pretty much parking lots; lots and lots of parking lots and warehouse buildings. Now it is like a completely different esp with those highrises being built right next to the station on the west and all those newer built, under construction buildings to the east. LA Live/Staples wasnt even built yet when it opened.

I wonder what it will be like when everything is built out, more traffic, slower Metro service going through intersections. I wonder when the Regional connector opens in 4-5 years if the service will be faster. Sometimes the delays along Flower is because they are waiting for trains to leave so there is space for the incoming trains to deboard track 1, then turn around to track 2 (or is it 2-1 track). This happens along the red/purple at Union Station. Announcement of more service with the money so trains can continue and turn around at maintenance yard.
Track 1 is the northbound track. So, unless they have changed things, a train arrives on Track 1 (platform 1), discharges, then pulls into the tail track, changes ends and crosses over to track 2 (platform 2), loads up and leaves for Long Beach or Santa Monica.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Two platforms would do the job, what's needed is a third rail line to act as a pocket track at Pico for pre-staged trains.

south track-south platform-pocket track-north platform-north track

For what it's worth, the Regional Connector does include a pocket track, but it will be north of the 7th St/Metro Center station. Whether that would help for Staples Center/LA Live events, I don't know.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 5:33 PM

Rail to Redlands moves forward with two major grants

Rail to Redlands moves forward with two major grants

Highland Community News
Aug. 23, 2016

"Thanks to the recent acquirement of two major grants totaling $17.9 million the Rail to Redlands Project is transitioning further from an idea to a working project. The progress brought together the Rail to Redlands Working Group, headed by County Supervisor James Ramos, for its meeting on Thursday, Aug. 18, to announce the grants and inform the public of the project's status in other areas.

According to Ramos, the Working Group was created to help inform and gather public comment while bringing the involved agencies together to work as a team, led by SANBAG.

Within the past few weeks, the Rail to Redlands Project has won a $9.2 million State Transit Intercity Rail Capital Program (TIRCP) grant and a $8.678,312 Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) Grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation..."

http://www.highlandnews.net/news/rai...e42116a0d.html

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transitfan View Post
For what it's worth, the Regional Connector does include a pocket track, but it will be north of the 7th St/Metro Center station. Whether that would help for Staples Center/LA Live events, I don't know.
There are two crossover and a pocket track between 5th and 4th street where the scrapped Financial District station was going to be. The idea is that they can go back and put in the platforms later for a station if money can be found. But in theory, you can turn back trains there so not all north bound A trains will go to Azusa. Or I guess you can put a reserve train in there for surge capacity for Staples and Coliseum events.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation