HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 1:36 AM

The site plan status has been changed to "inactive". I haven't seen that status type used before. But it doesn't sound positive.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11586407

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 3:08 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The site plan status has been changed to "inactive". I haven't seen that status type used before. But it doesn't sound positive.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11586407
No good.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 8:34 AM

I was wondering exactly what an "Inactive" site plan status means because the site plan status of the Marriott @ Cesar Chavez was changed to that as well today. I can see this project going inactive because of a temporary glut in high end rentals. But the Marriott is the only big project that hasn't already broken ground that I thought would start this cycle.

Anyway, here's a list of the site plan status types and their meanings. Below the list is a link to probably more than most folks want to know about the city's permit process.

The only "Inactive" status type listed means that a revision to the site plan is coming. That's definitely the case for 48 East since it was recently shortened by a few floors. But apparently there is now a revision coming for the Marriott as well.

https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/de...elp_Manual.pdf

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 1:18 PM

That's a good find, thanks for that. Interesting to see how not particularly descriptive "inactive" is without more info.

From talking with my White Lodging friends this week, that Marriott is positively, definitely happening. Spring 2019 tentative opening date. Again, they're already selling it, in combo with the JW for larger groups.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 9:50 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
That's a good find, thanks for that. Interesting to see how not particularly descriptive "inactive" is without more info.

From talking with my White Lodging friends this week, that Marriott is positively, definitely happening. Spring 2019 tentative opening date. Again, they're already selling it, in combo with the JW for larger groups.
Interesting. Did your friends mention if it will it me a "mainline" Marriott or something a little more upscale like a Marriott Marquis? White Lodging switched up the JW a couple of times before finally landing on the JW "brand."

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Interesting. Did your friends mention if it will it me a "mainline" Marriott or something a little more upscale like a Marriott Marquis? White Lodging switched up the JW a couple of times before finally landing on the JW "brand."
Nope it's literally called the Austin Marriott, so a pretty standard mid range product (which is actually underrepresented here). From talking with my friends, it's pretty clear that White Lodging's strategy is to be able to bid for complete convention center blocks (in concert with their Hyatt Place, Westin, Courtyard, etc) and potentially freezing out the two connected hotels, the Hilton and Fairmont. It's a ballsy play, especially if you understand convention and large group markets. It's even better if ACC expands because they could potentially share all the business generated by the expansion while Fairmont/Hilton splits business from the older side.

Sorry, more than you wanted to know, I'm sure.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 2:26 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Nope it's literally called the Austin Marriott, so a pretty standard mid range product (which is actually underrepresented here). From talking with my friends, it's pretty clear that White Lodging's strategy is to be able to bid for complete convention center blocks (in concert with their Hyatt Place, Westin, Courtyard, etc) and potentially freezing out the two connected hotels, the Hilton and Fairmont. It's a ballsy play, especially if you understand convention and large group markets. It's even better if ACC expands because they could potentially share all the business generated by the expansion while Fairmont/Hilton splits business from the older side.

Sorry, more than you wanted to know, I'm sure.
No. Not at all. Thank you.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 5:28 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Keep hammering on the Westin about their lack of appropriate sound proofing. I'm not a fan of one corporation having a total monopoly in the market. I especially don't like that corporation sueing local music venues when they knew where they were building.

But back on topic...

I'd really like to see 48 East built. It's location plus point tower design would make a perfect bookend to the east-west view of the skyline. With 70 Rainey and hopefully that other tower that I can't remember the name of, the Rainey Street District is going to have a pretty nice mini skyline on it's own. The east end of DT is going to have to play catch up if we are going to see the kind of density that's going on in the west end. I have about 5% optimism that we will see Waller Park Place or any of those other proposals happen in their current form, or anything built at all for that matter on those sites before 2020.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Jan 11, 2017 at 5:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I have about 5% optimism that we will see Waller Park Place or any of those other proposals happen in their current form, or anything built at all for that matter on those sites before 2020.
Great place for an observation tower.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 3:03 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Great place for an observation tower.
Hmm. I've never considered this location for that. I always thought an observation tower/restaurant would fit in well across the river, but it certainly could do well here also. It seems to me that most observation towers tie into some sort of development that naturally draws lots of crowds (event center, convention center, park, major hotel, etc.), so either location could feasibly do well, but maybe the north side would better than south of the river...especially because in the future it would have access to Waller Creek Park, the convention center, a heck of a lot of hotel rooms, and the hike and bike trail, among other things.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 4:56 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

An observation tower on Riverside on the triangle lot where Hooters is. Right next door to the Long Center, Statesman site, Congress bridge, etc.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 9:22 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
An observation tower on Riverside on the triangle lot where Hooters is. Right next door to the Long Center, Statesman site, Congress bridge, etc.
Yeah, that's what I've often thought as well.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2017, 2:33 PM

This project is still working on getting their density bonus. The Design Commission takes it up Monday 01/23. The backup file has a lot of minutia.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=269881

Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 6:28 PM

This may have had another change in height. Based on permit filings it was originally 370'/33 floors; then 31 floors. But a couple different documents shown to the design commission and dated this week show it as 350'/33 floors. Here's the link to one of them:

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=270027

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 4:59 AM

The new renderings show the 31-story version along with an architectural downgrade. But this and 70 Rainey will fill in a couple gaps in the skyline smile.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=269992

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 5:19 PM

It's not as unique as the original rendering but still looks like a very cool building. A lot is going on with this design and I think the caged-crown will set it apart. I wonder if that will be a common area. While I think the jagged window pattern down the side is very cool, it'll be interesting to see if it sticks considering the opportunity cost of not maximizing views (not that they'd be all that great facing east anyway).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 12:10 AM

This one is certainly, most definitely, undeniably, certifiably, and unashamefully.....meh.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 2:01 AM

I actually like this design better than the old. Austin is getting too many glass towers and a change up is nice to see.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 3:37 AM

ALL OF OUR NEW BUILDINGS ARE 31* STORIES TALL.

AAAAAAAGHGH.

*unless they're 33 stories.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 10:55 PM
Meh

Backup pdf for this says 350 feet as mentioned above, and this also includes two elevations showing the heights. The highest height on the mechanical penthouse is 357 feet 9 inches with 33 floors.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=269994

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin