HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 8:48 PM

I heard construction was supposed to start in the spring (June I think)

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 1:54 AM

http://www.fredericton.ca/en/citygov...FINALDRAFT.pdf

if it doesin't work, right click on the link and save target as...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 2:10 AM

-rendering for proposed unb wellness centre.

Located in Fredericton, this 200,000-square foot health and wellness centre will address the integrated wellness needs of the campus community. It will also provide facilities for high-performance athletics and expanded research capacity. The development will focus on a gymnasium able to host high-performance sports events while having the capacity to elegantly convert into a ceremonial space. It will anchor a Healthy Living Village which will include a retrofitted gym and new buildings clustered at the hillside location. B+H is working in association with Sasaki Associates and ADI.

Last edited by xxFamilyGuyxx; Nov 30, 2007 at 4:01 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 7:53 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Welcome to the forum Family Guy!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 1:25 AM

Airport confident service to Boston will continue

Fredericton could lose its direct air service to Boston, but the airport authority is optimistic another airline can be found to replace it.

Big Sky Airlines currently operates the Delta Air Lines flights to Boston but has suggested it may be scaling back its service, said David Innes, head of Fredericton's airport authority.

The soaring cost of oil is creating problems for Big Sky, said Innes. When the operator took over the route last year, oil was about $50 US a barrel but at current prices — about $88 US a barrel on Monday morning — the airline can lose money on the flights even if the planes are almost full, he said.

"The best thing that could happen is that Big Sky issue are resolved. But if they aren't, we're going to have to be on stand-by and look at all of our options again," Innes said.

Innes said he doesn't expect it to be difficult to find a replacement if Big Sky does pull its service.

About 75,000 seats have been sold since Delta first began offering the service in 2003. It shows there is a need for a direct flight to the northeast United States, Innes said.

"I think we've kind of proven the case now. It's really just a matter of going out with the numbers and the history that we do have and finding somebody who's in a position to do this work," he said.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 2:13 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxFamilyGuyxx View Post
-rendering for proposed unb wellness centre.

Located in Fredericton, this 200,000-square foot health and wellness centre will address the integrated wellness needs of the campus community. It will also provide facilities for high-performance athletics and expanded research capacity. The development will focus on a gymnasium able to host high-performance sports events while having the capacity to elegantly convert into a ceremonial space. It will anchor a Healthy Living Village which will include a retrofitted gym and new buildings clustered at the hillside location. B+H is working in association with Sasaki Associates and ADI.
It's good to see some investment at the university. However, the school is already running at a large deficit. I don't see how this will be turned into a big revenue generator. At the same time, the business faculty could definitely use a new building...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 2:24 AM
Nashwaaksissy

City teams up with Google Maps
By SHAWN BERRY
berry.shawn@dailygleaner.com
Published Tuesday December 4th, 2007
Appeared on page A1

Finding your city bus schedule just got a lot easier. Fredericton has become the first city in Atlantic Canada to offer its transit map online through Google Transit.

The online public transit trip-planning tool is a feature of Google Maps.

It allows users to enter their departure and arrival addresses and Google Transit finds the best route.

It provides users with a map showing the route, details of alternate routes, departure times, bus stop locations and transfer information.

It also allows users to set a designated time of arrival so the tool can identify the best departure time.

"It's a smart technology for a smart city," said Coun. Marilyn Kerton, chairwoman of the city's transportation committee.

"I've been trying it out and really, really like it.''

Kerton put the tool to a real test Monday when she needed to use public transit to get to a southside location she doesn't often visit by bus.

"I Googled it, and it got it down pat, I was really impressed with it.''

She said she believes others will appreciate the high-tech map option.

"It gives our citizens a great new way to plan their trips on Fredericton Transit and adds to the balanced lifestyle residents enjoy."

The transit trip planner builds on the increasingly popular Google Maps tool.

Work on obtaining the Google Transit device for Fredericton began last summer.

The city's information technology and transit divisions partnered with Google, Inc., to add its data to Google Transit.

"It's a real feather in our cap to be up there," said Rob Lunn, geographic information systems co-ordinator for the city's IT division Monday.

Montreal and Vancouver are the only other Canadian cities listed.

"The idea is that it will be an enhancement to the traditional ways of providing transit information to our customers," Lunn said.

But it doesn't spell the end of the paper map.

"It's just another way to access information on transit," said Sandy MacNeill, manager of the city's transit division.

"We think it will be a good thing for our clientele who are computer savvy and want to be able to map out some different options within our system.

"A lot of times, people will call us and say, 'I need to get to such-and-such a place by noon,' and we can give a couple of options depending on the destination. We'll continue to do that. This is just another way to put those options out before them," MacNeill said.

Fredericton Transit provides service on seven routes, six days a week. The transit fleet consists of 28 buses, which carry thousands of passengers every year.

Transit services in 22 North American cities are available on the website, as are Switzerland's national services, all of Japan's regional and national rail networks, domestic airlines and ferries and Traveline Southeast in the United Kingdom.

Google Transit can be accessed by logging on to the transit pages of the city website at www.fredericton.ca or at www.google.ca/transit.

----------

New southside eateries to open next year
By SHAWN BERRY
Published Tuesday December 4th, 2007
Appeared on page A3

Montana's Cookhouse and East Side Mario's restaurants are expected to open in the city next year.

Both restaurants will be built at the Corbett Brook Centre located at the intersection of Regent Street and Knowledge Park Drive.

East Side Mario's is expected to be open by late summer. Montana's Cookhouse is predicted to open in the fall.

"We have assigned a franchisee who is ready to go. He is within the community. We're excited to have it there," said Joel Friedman, director of planning for Prime Restaurants, which owns the East Side Mario's brand.

"We're planning to start construction right after the thaw and then try to open for late summer."

The building will be about 5,000 square feet with about 200 seats inside and an outdoor patio.

East Side Mario's has locations in Moncton and Saint John, and more than 100 locations across Canada.

A spokesperson for Montana's Cookhouse confirmed a restaurant is scheduled to open in Fredericton in September 2008.

The 5,100-square-foot restaurant will seat about200.

"Construction should start to be visible in the spring," said Ron Craig, vice-president of marketing for Montana's Cookhouse.

Montana's Cookhouse has 85 locations across Canada. The restaurant will be the company's third in New Brunswick.

The company operates a restaurant in Moncton and a Saint John location is scheduled to open Feb. 15.

The Corbett Brook Centre is a 450,000-square-foot design.

It's home to a Home Depot store.

A map of the location lists tenants as Montana's and East Side Mario's, as well as Michael's, Winners/HomeSense, PetCetetera, Dollarama and Linen 'N Things.

Another entry calls for a proposed standalone "warehouse club."
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
Another entry calls for a proposed standalone "warehouse club."
I Hope its going to be costco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post
Welcome to the forum Family Guy!
Thx.

Last edited by xxFamilyGuyxx; Dec 6, 2007 at 12:28 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
Probably a kiosk location in Regent Mall,

Thats what they did in Saint John, and then Moncton... So i assume Fredericton would be next
Its funny how people autimatically assume Fredericton will follow in Saint John and Moncton's footsteps..

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 8:29 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxFamilyGuyxx View Post
I Hope its going to be costco!
Costco said they were looking at Fredericton (and Saint John for that matter) a year or so ago, with visions of opening by 2009. But I haven't heard anything since. And even then, there's no guarantee they'd be going in the Corbett Centre, although I can't think of a better place for them to go.

As for Starbucks....why Regent Mall? There's already one in Chapters! I can even understand Champlain Place since the Chapters is technically at Crystal Palace next door, but what's the point of having your only two locations in the city in the same mall? I'd like to see them on Prospect (maybe where the Tim Hortons used to be), and possibly one on the north side at some point.

(Speaking of Regent Mall...anyone know what's going into the old Foot Locker/English Butler/Teddy Bear spot? I could have sworn someone told me and I forgot.)

Last edited by kirjtc2; Dec 6, 2007 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 8:39 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Church committee says accept York House plan
By SHAWN BERRY
Published Thursday December 6th, 2007
Appeared on page A1

Brunswick Street Baptist Church negotiation committee members are recommending congregants approve a land swap deal with the city that would see York House spared demolition.

The committee has called a vote for Tuesday night.

"It will be put to a vote by the congregation,'' said spokesman Paul Greene on Wednesday night.

"The steering committee is recommending it be accepted in principle.''

The fate of York House has been making headlines since the congregation voted last spring to knock down the building to make way for a $6-million expansion project. The Baptist Church owns the 114-year-old building and decided to raze it after it was unable to find a suitable alternate location for the expansion.

But the city stepped in with a land-swap offer so it could acquire the downtown landmark and convert it into office space.

Like previous votes, a 75 per cent threshold will have to be met Tuesday night. The demolition was approved by 85 per cent of congregation members in June.

"If 75 per cent is not achieved we'll continue on with what was decided previously," Greene said.

He said there is voter fatigue among some church members who have already approved York House's demolition so they can go through with a modern expansion.

But Greene said the new deal warrants another look.

"We've voted on this numerous times. So to go back to the church, there was some concern about that. But this is an option that wasn't available to us before.

"It can't be ignored. It needs to be given due consideration."

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 9:11 PM

I wouldin't mind seeing the costo going up on the north side..(Two Nations Crossing)
o.. and i also heard from somwhere (iforget where) that the regent mall tim hortons is moving to the corbett centre.

Last edited by xxFamilyGuyxx; Dec 6, 2007 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Costco said they were looking at Fredericton (and Saint John for that matter) a year or so ago, with visions of opening by 2009. But I haven't heard anything since. And even then, there's no guarantee they'd be going in the Corbett Centre, although I can't think of a better place for them to go.

As for Starbucks....why Regent Mall? There's already one in Chapters! I can even understand Champlain Place since the Chapters is technically at Crystal Palace next door, but what's the point of having your only two locations in the city in the same mall? I'd like to see them on Prospect (maybe where the Tim Hortons used to be), and possibly one on the north side at some point.

(Speaking of Regent Mall...anyone know what's going into the old Foot Locker/English Butler/Teddy Bear spot? I could have sworn someone told me and I forgot.)
I also heard rumors that costco was alternatively looking at propoerty by the new Walmart (somewhere in the area around the old co-op) but I would think it would likely be somwhere on the south side

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 9:42 PM
Nashwaaksissy

JD Irving owns the old Co-op property, and Kent is under construction there now. (I thought they were just going to refit the old building until Liquidation World showed up in there...) As much as the city wants to develop the Wal-Mart/Two Nations Crossing area, Costco knows that the Prospect/Regent area is the dominant retail area of the city and will be for quite some time.

FYI: I've also been hearing Canadian Tire is moving up next to Wal-Mart (SmartCentres' website says so at least) and some unsubstantiated rumours that the existing one on Main Street will become a Princess Auto.

Tim Hortons moving to the Corbett Centre has been official for several months now. Also official is Subway going into the old Tim's in the food court.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 10:06 PM

I'm exited that princess auto is coming.
And my mom is glad home sence is coming (maybe) to corbett centre

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
JD Irving owns the old Co-op property, and Kent is under construction there now. (I thought they were just going to refit the old building until Liquidation World showed up in there...) As much as the city wants to develop the Wal-Mart/Two Nations Crossing area, Costco knows that the Prospect/Regent area is the dominant retail area of the city and will be for quite some time.

FYI: I've also been hearing Canadian Tire is moving up next to Wal-Mart (SmartCentres' website says so at least) and some unsubstantiated rumours that the existing one on Main Street will become a Princess Auto.

Tim Hortons moving to the Corbett Centre has been official for several months now. Also official is Subway going into the old Tim's in the food court.
Yeah, the new northside canadian tire is under construction now (between the new kent store and walmart). I also heard rumours about princess auto, hopefully one opens up there.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 1:50 AM

Fredericton has lost its flight to Boston

FREDERICTON - Big Sky Airlines, the troubled carrier that provides the connection service will discontinue its flight after January 7th.

Greater Fredericton Airport Authority CEO David Innes says the authority knew the change was coming, but it wasn't sure how soon.

In a news release, the authority says Big Sky has been experiencing operational and economic difficulties

Anyone who has purchased tickets for travel on the Delta connector after January 7th should contact either their travel agent or Delta Air Lines to make alternate arrangements or to request a refund.

Its a bad new for whole New-Brunswick !

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:26 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Quote:

Costco has been looking at land in both cities, but they also said a while back in one of the newspapers that developers like to start rumours about Costco to attract attention to their site (sounds like something Corbett Centre would do to me, but it might not be the case). The alternative rumour I heard about Costco is that Kent (aka JD Irving) sold them land across the street from the Kent location. I assumed that meant southside, but I suppose it could be northside as well.

Canadian Tire at Smart Centres (northside) has been pretty well known for a while now.

I couldn't see another Starbucks in Regent Mall, but who knows where else they'd go.

As for the old Footlocker/English Butler/Teddy Bear Workshop spot, they've gutted the entire area, and the last official word I heard was that there'd be two inline spaces created, one taken by Dynamite (official) and the other TBA. Subway's the most persistent rumour for the old Tim Horton's spot, but I haven't heard anything official yet. I know they haven't started any work inside yet other than gutting it...which was long ago.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:34 AM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Some construction photos

more to come...

Best Western, Bishop Dr

Corbett Centre

This is beside Home Depot and the connecting road between Knowledge Park Dr and Kimble Dr

East Side Mario's/Montana's

Foundation for one of the strip malls (sorry about the blur, turned the flash off to avoid window reflection)

I'll hopefully get out tomorrow and/or Saturday to get the rest of the developments.

Bonus: Here's a rendering of South View Condos (Union Street roughly across from Ultramar)

from http://static.canadaeast.com/special...arm/index.html

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:48 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Thanks for the pics dude!

And thats a nice looking development too! never even heard of it before haha.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces