HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 3:00 PM

Happy New Year people. Was curious if I may have missed an update on the Schuylkill River Trail extension. I know at one point there was talk that it would be open by 2019...which is now. Last I can find on it was the $12M in federal funding early last year (https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/...8bShm9QT544.99) but to the best of my knowledge, nothing visible has happened since.

I know timelines on these types of projects are almost always too optimistic, but curious on peoples thoughts about when we might see some construction begin.

Also, related, I heard some rumors that the dump the currently is up against Grays Ferry Crescent trail could be moving in the near future due to it not being able to manage the amount of waste coming in from the rapidly growing neighborhood around it - has anyone heard anything about this?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 3:26 PM

looks like the swing bridge connecting the crescent to Bartram's garden will be completed next year (2020) and the Christian to Grays Ferry crescent will be completed 2022/23.

https://www.schuylkillbanks.org/blog...jects-update-6

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 3:49 PM

Big changes planned at S. Philly’s Riverfront Plaza, starting with $12M movie-theater

Cedar is planning to remake Riverview plaza with residential and more mixed use commercial, including a $12M makover of the Regal theater and reorienting the buildings so the parking is behind the buildings. They also acquired the decrepit warehouse to the north that Blatstein maintained control of when he sold them the Plaza. There will be three phases over 70 to 10 years, "the first two of which will consist of about 260 apartments and 125,000 square feet of retail." Development will start on the first phase in the first half of 2019

http://www.philly.com/real-estate/ri...-20190103.html

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:42 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Nice. Can walk from Hilton on Penn's Landing to this new spot. If that planned highrise next to the Dockside condo was going to happen anytime soon, you definitely see more action on Columbus Blvd with these developments.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 6:53 PM

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 6:56 PM

^^A good start, but desperately needs some greening. I imagine they probably will put some in, but haven't quite done so yet.

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Jan 3, 2019 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 7:11 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^^
Pretty sweet up close. Definitely looks like concrete jungle. Planters with trees/shrubs for sure. The concrete won't stay clean like that.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Nice. Can walk from Hilton on Penn's Landing to this new spot. If that planned highrise next to the Dockside condo was going to happen anytime soon, you definitely see more action on Columbus Blvd with these developments.
All the more reason why we DESPERATELY need that Columbus Blvd trolley back in service.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
All the more reason why we DESPERATELY need that Columbus Blvd trolley back in service.
First it would be easy to try pedestrian improvements and then improving the 25,29, and 64. I live in South Philly and rarely shop down there because getting a bus over that way is a pain in the ass.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 8:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^^
Pretty sweet up close. Definitely looks like concrete jungle. Planters with trees/shrubs for sure. The concrete won't stay clean like that.
I don't think there is a place on planet earth outside the United States that would finish off the front door of a project like this with freaking poured concrete.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I don't think there is a place on planet earth outside the United States that would finish off the front door of a project like this with freaking poured concrete.
What are the constraints due to this being a slab with open space underneath?

Would still like to see more green! and it's a shame not to connect more directly over the rail lines to the Trail.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
and it's a shame not to connect more directly over the rail lines to the Trail.
Yeah, it definitely would have been better with some connection to the trail; I kept imagining the tracks decked over between Chestnut and Market and a tie-in to the ramps down to the trail.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 11:19 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
What are the constraints due to this being a slab with open space underneath?

Would still like to see more green! and it's a shame not to connect more directly over the rail lines to the Trail.
That's not a restraint. They could have put down stone or precast architectural concrete like the type on the High Line.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:04 AM

It is hard to tell exactly what it looks like, but what is with the prison fencing? I get that there is a rail line but do they need an 8 foot high fence? A detail they excluded from the renders.

The renders also show some big planters with small trees and greenery so let's see if that comes to fruition.

https://twitter.com/precisionrg/stat...20364588642304

Last edited by Nova08; Jan 4, 2019 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:01 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
That's not a restraint. They could have put down stone or precast architectural concrete like the type on the High Line.
At least stamped concrete would of been more appealing. I don't think the cost is that much more and with color additive to it. Some stones like flagstone is a slipping hazard when its wet but I've seen stamped concrete mimic flagstone pretty well.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 12:21 AM

That fencing may be mandated by law? I don't know. Is it a metal mesh, or a glass similar to that in between FMC tower and the rail line over there?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
You'll be glad to know DVRPC published a study in November examining this issue... so people are still thinking about it!

https://www.dvrpc.org/Reports/16046.pdf

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
You'll be glad to know DVRPC published a study in November examining this issue... so people are still thinking about it!

https://www.dvrpc.org/Reports/16046.pdf
The report makes the assumption that any trolley used would have to be PA trolley gauge. Whatever company ends up making it could just simply use any old Red Arrow cars left over (which was what happened in the early 90s on weekends and holidays).
I personally wish the El spur along the waterfront still existed. I don't blame them for razing it, but think about how well it would do today! You could have a stop at South St to provide access to the shops, you could have stops further southwest, etc.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 6:15 PM

The FDP website has been updated to reflect the opening this September. There is a section about the public art being installed in the mall:

https://fashiondistrictphiladelphia.com/arts

While the outside is still terrible at least they are trying to make the inside look interesting.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 11:12 PM

Walked by the FDP today. They've put up some brackets on the SW wing of the building for Electronic Screens. They also have seemed to have purchased the Robinson Building, as it currently is walled off on the ground floor with giant FDP ads. Will post pictures after the Birds game.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development