HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Van Houtte is my least-favourite coffee. A restaurant I used to work at served that stuff, and I didn't like it at all. We did change coffee suppliers at one point to Mother Parkers.
I love Van Houtte when I see one Van Houtte coffee shop in Montreal I just go in and get something!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
I love Van Houtte when I see one Van Houtte coffee shop in Montreal I just go in and get something!
Van Houtte is a coffee that I find people either love or hate. We had plenty of pissed off customers when we switched to Mother Parkers, but we also had plenty of ecstatic customers who loved the change.

I have to admit, the only place I'd ever had Van Houtte was where I used to work, and as I didn't make the coffee, I have no idea how dirty the coffee urns may have been. A clean urn can make all the difference between good and bad coffee.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 3:04 PM
Torontonian Refugee

What's with all the hate for Tim Horton's in this thread? If you don't like it then don't go there. If you're trying to prove to everyone that you have superior tastes, then spouting "HURR DURR ASS WATUR COFFEE, STARBUKS IS BETUR" is not really going to help.

Anyways, even though I prefer McDonald's coffee and Second Cup (which is EXTREMELY rare in London), I go to Tim Horton's most of the time because it's everywhere. Last year I was doing real shitty (my neighbour won a barbeque though), but this year I've bought 2 and won each of them. Coffee and a donut, just as planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
I'd sell it and buy myself a Chevy Volt.
Personally, I fancy a BMW E34:

If I won the Camry Hybrid (a boring car, now available with an asinine choice of drivetrain), I'd finally have enough to buy one of these in near-mint condition. It would be nice to have something from the days when BMW was more like Saab and less like Gucci.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
Disagree. Gas stations that have Van Houtte coffee is better than Timmies. By far. As far as chains go, I like second cup. Good flavour, and not burnt bitter crap like Starbucks.

I'm not a coffee snob, so most coffees will do the trick for me. I'm not crazy about Van Houtte though. McDonald's is where I usually go, or the odd Tim's.

As far as this thread goes, I'm 0 for 3

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 3:28 PM

I have to agree. Anytime a thread about Tim Horton's comes out, the usual coffee geeks are on here trying to show their superiority and sophistication by putting down Tim's or McDonald's etc...

Memo to coffee snobs: Many of us happen to like that kind of coffee and are paying less money for it. Suck on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
What's with all the hate for Tim Horton's in this thread? If you don't like it then don't go there. If you're trying to prove to everyone that you have superior tastes, then spouting "HURR DURR ASS WATUR COFFEE, STARBUKS IS BETUR" is not really going to help.

Personally, I fancy a BMW E34:

If I won the Camry Hybrid (a boring car, now available with an asinine choice of drivetrain), I'd finally have enough to buy one of these in near-mint condition. It would be nice to have something from the days when BMW was more like Saab and less like Gucci.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 3:51 PM

It's not Tim Hortons per se that bothers me, or their coffee. It's their advertising. I swear they have the most irritating ads on TV. And they're on constantly so you can't avoid them!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
It's not Tim Hortons per se that bothers me, or their coffee. It's their advertising.
+1

Their ads are terrible. Only Subway's advertisements are worse.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 8:43 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
It's not Tim Hortons per se that bothers me, or their coffee. It's their advertising. I swear they have the most irritating ads on TV. And they're on constantly so you can't avoid them!
I actually don't mind their coffee either....not my favorite tho. Comparing it to an upscale coffee place is almost an apples to oranges comparison.

The thing that I hate about Tim's is the stupid ass vehicle lineups at every one. Do the environment a favor and make the drive-thrus coffee only!...or maybe get rid of the drive-thrus altogether.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 9:26 PM

Love it or hate it, the roll-up-the-rim promo is clearly a huge hit. The downtown Winnipeg Tim's outlet I walked by this morning had a long, winding line that stretched right out the door.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 10:51 PM

The thing I hate most about Tims is the all the cups that end up on the street as garbage, I hate lazy litter bugs.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 11:00 PM
digital b0y

0 in 6 so far.

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Feb 24, 2012, 11:38 PM

1 for 5 as of today. Won a donut.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 2:31 AM

1st cup, won a coffee. The next 3 went straight to the trash, figured there's no hope in hell to win again so soon. So didn't bother with the hassle.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 3:39 AM

I don't drink coffee, but I have about $30 in Tim cards I found around the house, so I guess I'm drinking hot chocolate for the rest of the month.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 12:54 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Can anyone else agree with me on this one? I have found that I can no longer stomach Tim's coffee like I used to and have had to switch to McDonald's (mother parkers) coffee instead. I used to drink 7 cups of Tim's a day at my worst. Now if I have more than one I get severe pains. Not so if I drink any other coffee. Did Tim's change their roast somewhere along the way and maybe I missed the memo?
Anyway, 0-2 at this point. However, I have won every time at McDonald's with their $1 off promo.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 2:18 PM
I am a typical

I don't hate Tim Horton's because of "coffee superiority", I hate Tim Hortons because every time I have gone there, I have felt that the quality of the food was not worth the price I paid for it (regardless of how cheap, hot chocolate that tastes like melted crayons should be free at most) and I feel sick watching so many people mindlessly spend money on an inferior product. It is antithesis to the principles of capitalism. A company selling a bad product should do poorly.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 3:01 PM

Didn't franchise owners get into a major spate with the company over having to buy frozen donuts from the company(which cut into their profits),and they were also very unhappy about turning their coffee shops into fast food restaurants

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 3:17 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Can anyone else agree with me on this one? I have found that I can no longer stomach Tim's coffee like I used to and have had to switch to McDonald's (mother parkers) coffee instead. I used to drink 7 cups of Tim's a day at my worst. Now if I have more than one I get severe pains. Not so if I drink any other coffee. Did Tim's change their roast somewhere along the way and maybe I missed the memo?
Anyway, 0-2 at this point. However, I have won every time at McDonald's with their $1 off promo.
I've been drinking McDonald's coffee more often these days. As far as the cheap quicko coffees go, it's not bad. Plus you don't have the stupid lineups that you do at Tim's.

For those that really like Tim's but not the lineups, simply go to McDonald's and get a coffee there, add about 4 table spoons of sugar and 5 ounces of cream and you've got yourself a double double.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 5:22 PM

1 for 1 thus far.

I only get Tims once a week now since I have a very low tolerance for dairy. It's a shame they don't offer any soy. I mean, c'mon, it's cheaper than regular milk!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 5:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
1 for 1 thus far.

I only get Tims once a week now since I have a very low tolerance for dairy. It's a shame they don't offer any soy. I mean, c'mon, it's cheaper than regular milk!
Either the demand for soy and other lactose-free products isn't yet high enough for Tim Hortons to care investing in -- or the more expensive milk is only as such through the consumer's eye. I do believe buying in extreme bulk is a corporate advantage, especially when companies selling milk do not want their clients switching to soy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada